'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fuse Question (Silverado 2500 HD)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-12-20 11:32 PM
3 replies, 2812 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lem
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-19 9:36 AM (#52641)
Subject: Fuse Question (Silverado 2500 HD)

New User

Hi all,

I've been scouring the internet trying to find an answer to this question and I hope that you guys can help me out. :)

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado HD 3/4 Ton Diesel truck and a new 2007 Elite GN trailer.

I have have load lights on this trailer that do not work unless a fuse is in the Stud #1 position (which came with a blank filler fuse from the dealership). I look in the manual of this truck and it says the following about this Stud:

Stud #1 - Auxiliary Power (Single Battery and Diesels Only) / Dual Battery (TP2) Do not install fuse.

It's the second part of the manual explanation that confuses me because my Diesel truck does have two batteries. I would like to be able to use my load lights so my question to you guys would be what (if any) fuse could I use with out it being a safety issue to me and my horses? I do know that in installing a fuse that has to high of a rating could be bad, but since I cannot find out ANY information on this I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edited by Lem 2006-12-19 9:48 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mgisse
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-12-19 10:55 AM (#52646 - in reply to #52641)
Subject: RE: Fuse Question (Silverado 2500 HD)

Your truck should have came with a 40 amp fuse with the brake control harness. A 30 or 40 amp fuse will be fine . With all the different trailers i pull i have a 50 amp fuse in the fuse block and a 30 amp auto reset breaker so i dont have to replace it all the time
cowboyscash
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-12-19 9:39 PM (#52669 - in reply to #52641)

I have a 05 3500 truck and it did not have the fuse installed.That fuse controls the 12volt power feed to the aux. power on the trailer plug.That circut is capable of powering large loadslike charging a battary or working many lights.Just because the fuse ratting is that high does not mean that you will be always sending that many amps to that circut, but that you are able to draw that many amps when needed.
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-12-20 11:32 PM (#52707 - in reply to #52641)

Veteran

Lem,

Don't know the answer to your question but I would say that information should be available at the Chevy dealership. I would think that for load lights only that a 10 amp fuse would be sufficient, but I also see your point about what the owners manual states and all.....Just really not a good idea to place a fuse there ti'll You know for sure cause you're right, you shouldn't use a fuse with a higher rating than the system was designed for.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)