'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Towing Question - Nissan Titan

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-12-01 2:30 PM
5 replies, 7826 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DoorDoctor
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-29 12:03 PM (#52032)
Subject: Towing Question - Nissan Titan

New User

We pull a travel trailer with one vehicle, and a steel 3 horse slant with an '04 Nissan Titan 4x4 crew cab.  We're tired of driving separately!  Found an aluminum GN 4h slant with just DR shell for sleeping, (we'll make do).  It weighs approx. 4800 lbs. empty.  The Titan pulls the BP with 3 horses like nothing.  Our wall moves and we can pull a fourth horse, no problem.  But...IF we put a gooseneck in the Titan, can it handle the bigger trailer with four horses and all our stuff???   Nobody seems to know!  It's as if no one have ever done anything with a Titan before!   There seems to be question about the gooseneck hitting the cab since the bed is so short, although we do know there is an extender available for the hitch and maybe even one to put on the trailer.  But is this pushing it for the Titan??? 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PAWALKER
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-11-29 3:05 PM (#52034 - in reply to #52032)
Subject: RE: Towing Question - Nissan Titan

Regular

Look at the GVW tag (gross vehicle weight) on the driver's side door jam. GVW means the total weight you can carry and pull INCLUDING the weight of the truck. Wheel base of the truck is a key factor. Size of breaks is pretty important too. Your best bet for the right answers is to find a reputable trailer sales that also has a service shop. They should be able to help you. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. I would rather be over trucked than under trucked when it comes to safely pulling my horses.
nanny
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-11-29 3:06 PM (#52035 - in reply to #52032)

Regular

Seems like a tall order for your truck. Definitely check out what is recommended for your truck. Also, shortbeds can cause problems when turning a GN....Maybe you should consider a diesel big truck if you're serious about the 4H. Just my opinion.  Good luck.

DoorDoctor
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-29 4:23 PM (#52038 - in reply to #52032)

New User

Thanks, that's kinda what I figured.  It would probably be pushing it.

Another option...we've seen people with motor homes pulling BP's.  Checked into a class C that looked good, but they said it could only tow 2,000 lbs.!  So I assume it would take monster class A to pull 3 - 4 horses in a steel BP?

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-11-29 9:52 PM (#52047 - in reply to #52032)

Help the economy; keep the money circulating. Once you have a diesel dually, you'll wonder how you lived without it. And while shopping, look at all those lovely trailers with fitted out interiors. IMO the bigger the better........love our 4 horse, 14' lq, and Dodge dually.Happy shopping!
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-12-01 2:30 PM (#52097 - in reply to #52032)

Extreme Veteran

Doc...

Do yourself and your ponies a favor. Don't overload, and get a real

truck. You won't have enough weight to handle that GN, and when you want to

pull a big trailer, you can't have too much truck.  We have a lady who tows her three horse bp all over the state with her Titan, and has no problems as the motor is plenty pwerful. BUT>>> hook another 10,000 lbs on?  Look out!!  Yeah, I have the Dodge and love the beast, but if I get something bigger... it will be a frightliner or something.

Steve

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)