'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Blocking trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-27 4:40 PM
18 replies, 5929 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-10 8:29 PM (#51361)
Subject: Blocking trailers

Veteran

Does anyone have any experience in "blocking" trailers to gain 2" of clearance? Dealer wants $1200 to do it and not sure how much I could save by doing it at home (or where to buy kits) or if it might me too complicated! Alignment, wiring, brake line extensions, etc. Any input would be welcome. Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-11-10 9:10 PM (#51365 - in reply to #51361)
Subject: RE: Blocking trailers

Expert

Originally written by captclank on 2006-11-10 8:29 PM

Does anyone have any experience in "blocking" trailers to gain 2" of clearance? Dealer wants $1200 to do it and not sure how much I could save by doing it at home (or where to buy kits) or if it might me too complicated! Alignment, wiring, brake line extensions, etc. Any input would be welcome. Thanks

I see no (good) reason to do it.
I would need to know something different or "know better" than the designer/builder, so would the dealer if I had it done for me.
Where are you looking to gain 2 inches of clearance ?
There might be other(better) alternatives.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-11-11 3:04 AM (#51367 - in reply to #51361)

Expert

It's regularly done for off road trailers. And I've also heard dealers refer to it as Lift for trailers used with 4x4 trucks. I've even seen it offered as a factory option.

The clearance comes in raising the rear bumper so you don't drag it on back country roads. The leveling also helps to clear the bed rails.

Since most 4x4 trucks sit higher than 4x2 trucks, standard trailers when hooked up don't sit level. Gooseneck is higher and bumper is lower than manufacture designed.  Blocking the axles lifts the box so the trailer sits level.

It shouldn't be too difficult. You are just raising the trailer straight up by adding a block  or piece of channel. My dealer quoted me $300-$400 for my trailer.

Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-11-11 7:57 AM (#51369 - in reply to #51361)

Veteran

You CAN do it yourself, me and my brother-in-law did his trailer once... BUT, I wouldn't recomend it and I wouldn't do it again!  If your wagon is fairly new and has any warranty left it will void it.  There are a lot of variables that can get messed up very easily.  IF you can get the axles off without hurting them the big thing is realignment and placement when going back together!  An 1/8 of an inch off, one way or another, can cause big problems... wagon "dog-tracking", uneven tire wear, possible tire heat up and seperation, harder than expected pulling, etc. etc.    You have to get EXACT measurements side to side, then front to rear, then rear axle to front axle, make sure they're square to rear of trailer, then get everything rewelded (or bolted) with out moving ANYTHING!  Very hard to do without proper jigs, equipment and things, not to mention that you will probabaly be upside down doing this, unlike when they aligned and placed the axles at the factory, then the floor of the trailer was more than likely upside down.

Just some thoughts from someone that has been there, done that and ain't goin' back!  BUT with all that being said... I'm not rich and understand that $1,200 is A LOT of money!  If the trailer is older or something that is not pulled thousands of miles a year...maybee the pros. can out weigh the cons of doing it yourself!  Remember if a dealership does the work they should stand behind it, if you do it... good luck you're on your own if an axle falls off and skeets across the median and wipes out a bus load of nunns or something crazy!

Good luck and I'll talk to y'all later...

gemm
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-11-12 12:16 AM (#51379 - in reply to #51361)

Extreme Veteran

I got a new (2001) 4X4 to replace an old truck, but still kept my old gooseneck. I had such a slant in the trailer floor that I knew my horses had to be uncomfortable riding like that! After much research I ended up getting a "kit" from Dodge to lower the truck bed height (which was free and included the labor) as well as having my trailer raised 3". It's pretty level now, but still not perfect. I took the trailer to the dealer and it cost somewhere around $500. Hope that helps. I'm guessing $1200 is pretty high and you might get a better deal elsewhere w/o having to resort to doing it yourself.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-11-12 9:34 AM (#51383 - in reply to #51361)

The gooseneck on our trailer is adjustable.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-11-12 10:23 AM (#51386 - in reply to #51361)

Extreme Veteran

My friend's GN has an adjustable hitch, too, but she has the same problems, her truck is too high for even the lowest adjustment.  Her trailer is slanted about 3-5 inches from the bed to the rear.  With her old truck, the adjustment worked fine, and it was level, but with the new truck, it is way higher.

I have a 2500HD GMC and it is very high, too, I think about 3 inches higher than my last truck as I had to buy all new hitches for my trailers after seeing the trailers weren't level after getting the new truck.

Jbsny

captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-12 3:14 PM (#51389 - in reply to #51361)

Veteran

Thanks to all for the input. I want to raise the trailer to gain ground clearance to protect the sewer discharge pipes. I think I will NOT do it myself based on the advice given and will shop around for a better price. Thanks again, this website has most helpful!
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-11-12 9:15 PM (#51398 - in reply to #51389)

Veteran

I just got home from MO picking up my new LQ trailer. Before hitching up to drive home to CA, they put a 4" lift and skid plates over the water tanks (grey and black water)

Multiday endurance riders do this all the time. I am one.

Also, just getting in and out of some truck stops and Wal-Mart parking lots made the lift worth every penny. And yes....$1200 is way high. Shop around.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-11-13 5:46 AM (#51405 - in reply to #51389)

Expert

Originally written by captclank on 2006-11-12 3:14 PM

Thanks to all for the input. I want to raise the trailer to gain ground clearance to protect the sewer discharge pipes. I think I will NOT do it myself based on the advice given and will shop around for a better price. Thanks again, this website has most helpful!

I'd SERIOUSLY think about adding air ride with manual overide control for when you take it across... wherever it is that the pipes get torn off.
Also an air dump valve for loading/unloading and the automatic position for maintaining the same height on the highway regardless of load.
Dexter has an Air-Flex system that MIGHT BE usable with existing axles on trailers that have leaf springs, though probably not useable on "regular" torque-flex equiped trailers.

Although... Hmmm... I'd still look into it, production systems being what they are you just might find that all sorts of alternative things can be bolted into the existing bolt holes.

The labor involved in just blocking the axles probably isn't THAT much less, though materials would probably cost quite a bit. Another alternative would be air ride as a supplement to what you already have, again I'd seek help from Dexter (and perhaps Firestone).
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-11-13 5:53 AM (#51406 - in reply to #51361)

Expert

I don't know how much it matters TO THE HORSES if the trailer's nose is an extra few inches higher than the tail.
It is a SMALL number of inches difference in height between the coupler and axles that are many feet apart. Compared to the braking and accelleration forces (particularly braking) and grades that are climbed/descended I suspect that it is insignificant.

Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-11-13 4:33 PM (#51429 - in reply to #51361)

Extreme Veteran

I thought the level part was for the tires so that there was equal pressure on the front and back axles.  At least that was what I had learned from pulling bumpers.  Plus, if the horses are on a slant, they would be on a slight hill.  Long trip might make them tired.  That was the other part I remember learning about trailers not being level.

Maybe I am left over from the 60's!!!!

Jbsny

mglimberg
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-26 9:31 PM (#56355 - in reply to #51398)

New User

I have a 03 CM Norstar and need to raise the trailer 4". I checked with the manf. and they said this shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the people doing the lift know what they are doing. Found a local shop that says they have done it before.I know it's been over a year since your posting. I was wondering how your trailer lift has worked out? I live in Missouri and I see that you had a dealer in Missouri raise your trailer. Who done the lift, and are you happy with the quality of work?Also I know the lift will make my fenders look like a 4 wheel drive. I'm not crazy about the look however I need the ground clearance. I'm hoping to benefit from your experiance. - Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-02-26 9:35 PM (#56356 - in reply to #56355)

Veteran

I ended up selling that trailer and bought another that was blocked 2" at the factory. Sorry I can't help on having comeone do it for me, I really too was concerned about proper alignment, handling, and tire wear.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 7:32 AM (#56366 - in reply to #56355)

Expert

Originally written by mglimberg on 2007-02-26 9:31 PM

I have a 03 CM Norstar and need to raise the trailer 4". I checked with the manf. and they said this shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the people doing the lift know what they are doing. Found a local shop that says they have done it before.I know it's been over a year since your posting. I was wondering how your trailer lift has worked out? I live in Missouri and I see that you had a dealer in Missouri raise your trailer. Who done the lift, and are you happy with the quality of work?Also I know the lift will make my fenders look like a 4 wheel drive. I'm not crazy about the look however I need the ground clearance. I'm hoping to benefit from your experiance. - Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Do the geometry.
Figure that you will get ZERO additional ground clearance for the "axles" (if you actually have axles that run across the trailer, these are becoming rare).
Consider that things like water tanks are typically under the camper (front) section of the trailer. Raising the trailer at the rear will raise the front section by some fraction of what you raise the rear by - it depends on the coupler to axle distance and the placement of the tank/plumbing/whatever_you're_worried_about_clearance_for.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 9:41 AM (#56373 - in reply to #51361)

Raising your trailer 4" could create a problem for your horses stepping down when unloading. There is a potential for the horses back legs to slip under the trailer. Drive the rear wheels up on blocks and check the rear floor height before you spend the money to have it done.
reinergirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 9:49 AM (#56374 - in reply to #56366)

Regular

Reg,

The additional 2" is not for the axle clearance, it is the for clearance of the trailer floor. It is common place, even on ordered units, to block the axles 2" is you are going to put a living quarters in the trailer. The additional 2" helps you keep from dragging your tanks off the bottom of your trailer.

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 10:01 AM (#56377 - in reply to #56374)

Expert

Originally written by reinergirl on 2007-02-27 9:49 AM

Reg,

The additional 2" is not for the axle clearance, it is the for clearance of the trailer floor. It is common place, even on ordered units, to block the axles 2" is you are going to put a living quarters in the trailer. The additional 2" helps you keep from dragging your tanks off the bottom of your trailer.

Yes, 2 inches at the "axles" might only translate to an inch or less at the tanks.
"Commonplace" does not always equate to sound engineering, or even a reasonable solution (-:
bechack
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 4:40 PM (#56425 - in reply to #56373)

Veteran

Due to the lift, I did get a ramp. Not necessarily for the horses, but for me going in and out of the trailer.....IT REALLY HELPS. The new ramps with the springs are so so much different than ramps of 30 years ago.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)