'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Stall bedding

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-24 9:49 PM
14 replies, 5654 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 11:56 AM (#50664)
Subject: Stall bedding

Regular

I would like to know the best bedding for barn stalls. Our horses are not kept in the stalls. We use the stalls for shelter and feeding. They are free to come and go as they wish. We have put railroad ties at the back of the stalls to try and keep some of the rain and mud out in the winter, but they seem to get muddy at the stall entrance anyway. For some reason, the horses will come in the barn to poop rather they are eating or not! Anyone have suggestions for keeping the stalls dryer and less messy?Thanks for your helpColleen
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 1:07 PM (#50669 - in reply to #50664)
Subject: RE: Stall bedding

Expert

horses do not like to get splashed when you go. so the will go where the do not get wet i have a horse the pees as soon as he come in and i ask him could you do that outside and he said no
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-26 2:10 PM (#50673 - in reply to #50664)

Veteran

Get some stall mats.I had been putting a round bale of hay in the corner of the run in shed.For some reason they like to do their duty on the hay.They had one heck of a mess in there.I couldn't keep up with it.I would have to use the tractor bucket to get it cleaned out.It was really gross.I now have moved the hay bale out in the paddock with a bale holder.They do not go in the run in to do their duty any more.When it rains I will put loose hay in the feeder in the run in,and they will stand in there and poo all over it again.Horses are funny animals.If you put hay on the floor in there you may want to try and hang a hay feeder in there off the ground.Also the mats would help with clean up.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-10-26 8:05 PM (#50697 - in reply to #50664)

Loveduffy:  I have the opposite of your horse;  my guy refuses to pee in a stall.  At turn out time, he flies out, finds his spot and goes and goes.  Got him to pee under saddle because he wouldn't go before we left home and he didn't show worth a hoot with a full bladder (I really can relate).  So while peeing under saddle might not sit well with some folks, I was so glad when he agreed to do so.  Let me add, we have mats covered with good dried shavings and he will not go.  I understand and relate on the not wanting the splash, but our stalls are bedded and cleaned regularly.  Oh and he will stretch way out to go,  will only go in grass he selects.  I don't care now about his (to me) unusual bathroom habits since I can now saddle him up, go out for a ride, and he will go at the first site that suits him.  Tha's ok with me, I just did not want him to get sick from holding it.
cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-10-27 9:51 AM (#50719 - in reply to #50664)

Veteran

I'm liking the pelleted bedding.  You're supposed to wet it down to turn it back into soft fluffy sawdust, but where it is mucky I put it down as is and it absorbs moisture.  Also there is a product called "stall dry" which also absorbs moisture.  It's good for mucky spots.  It also takes away the ammonia smell of urine.  For outdoor mucky spots I buy the sort of wood pellets used for pellet stoves-- they are cheaper and they don't break up as easily as the stall kind.  Hope this helps!

clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-27 9:52 AM (#50720 - in reply to #50664)

Regular

When you mat the stalls, do you use those rubber mats I see at the local granges? I'm guessing the pee would sit on top of these matts, is that why you add the shaving? Has anyone used beach sand? If so, do you like it and have you had any problems with sand colic? We use feeders do the hay and grain are off the ground, however my mare will immediately try to throw the hay out of the feeder and eat it off the ground. .go figure! Thanks again for all your advice.
horsecrazi
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-27 1:03 PM (#50725 - in reply to #50664)

Veteran

I use the bagged pine shavings.They are dust free ...smell nice,and fluffy.I have 3 mares all go potty in one area in there stalls.They are all very neat.My one mare doesn't care to pee in her stall either.She will try and hold it then as soon as I let her out she will go pee.Or if I ride before letting her out she will pee undersaddle.The funny thing is she only started doing this while she was preg. Before that she would NEVER think of peeing undersaddle.Now she does not mind.Horses are funny that way.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-10-27 2:47 PM (#50737 - in reply to #50664)

Expert

I hae stall matts purchased from Quality Farm and Fleet several years ago. They are great, would have stalls without them. I use straw or sawdust whatever is available. I like straw mostly in the winter/early spring but use it less when its hot and humid. We put up our own wheat straw and I have my husband use the shredder on the combine which makes for fluffier straw.The horses do eat some of the straw and hasn't hurt them.Mostly, it comes down to what is available and convient to use.
clow
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-30 11:21 AM (#50833 - in reply to #50664)

Regular

Cascadia: The pellets for the wood stove, do you just leave them on the ground outside? Do they absorbe the moisture or just help to firm up the ground? How much of the pellet stall dry do you use in a 12x12 stall? After you put it in the mucky stops in the stall, do you leave the stall dry in there or do you take it out? I'm trying to find the best option before I invest a lot of money. I have 3 12x12 stalls to do.Thanks again for all you helpColleen
AppyRider
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-10-31 4:24 PM (#50920 - in reply to #50664)

Stall mats. I started out with just a couple in the middle of shelter due to the expense ($50 ea) and added more whenever I could find them used. At my stable we've started splitting loads of sand to put in our 24x24 pipe corrals (a $600 load does 4 corrals about 4" deep and lasts through the winter). It drains well when it rains, gives them a deep place to pee, and to lay down without hock sores. In the stall/shelter we put down dirt to raise the level and make it flat, then the mats on top. In the summer I don't use bedding so that the "splatter" will make them choose to pee outside (even a small pile of dirt outside will encourage this). When it rains I use shavings on top of the mats and it's so much easier to scoop out the wet shavings. Tips I've learned for moving 100-lb stall mats: 2 "C" clamps on one end with couple lead ropes attached allows one person to drag it or; 2 people can roll the mat like carpet (difficult yet possible) and tie with baling twine - can even lift it into back of truck this way; or a rake handle under the middle of the mat and lift it from each side. I've been mucking stalls and corrals for longer than I care to admit and finally decided the costs of the mats and sand was justified. Happy mucking!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-31 7:09 PM (#50926 - in reply to #50697)

Expert

rose you are lucky duffy love to pee in his stall. i think he hold it in all day (outside) just so he can go in the stall and which the look on my face as he gose. but yet he pees when we are out trail rideing. I just give up and face the fact I will clean stalls
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-10-31 9:02 PM (#50929 - in reply to #50664)

Expert

far as dust is concerend- its interesting to note TB are bedded in straw because of the dust in sawdust and shavings. I was also at the Kentuck Horse Park a few weeks ago and noticed they also use straw rather than shavings or sawdust for the retired race and show horses there. Maybe its a handling/availablity issue?
TrueColours
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-01-23 7:41 PM (#54382 - in reply to #50664)

check out Streufex at:

www.fex.at

Its a new pelleted bedding made from straw and not wood, it compressed and not deydrated so you dont add water to it, all of the dust, mold and allergens are removed during processing so its perfect for horses (or people!) with breathing or skin allergies, and its easy to store in 30# plastic bags (about the same size as a bag of pelleted feed)

You use 7-8 bags to start in a 12 x 12 stall and then 4-5 bags per month after that

grayland
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-01-24 9:18 PM (#54453 - in reply to #50664)

Regular

The STREUfex looks very interesting.  I like the fact that it's straw and better to spread on fields than sawdust or shavings.  Do you have any info on cost per bag and where it's available?

TrueColours
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-01-24 9:49 PM (#54458 - in reply to #50664)

If you contact the head office at:

910-671-4141 or fex.lumberton@magnaent.com they can let you know what feed stores in KY are carrying the product. KY is a large distribution area for them so as well as the sales rep that covers the State, they do have numerous feed stores that supply it as well.

It is a really terrific new product and as well as the obvious benefits of no dust, quick decomposition, etc it is also being manufactured 100% for itself, meaning it is not a byproduct like shavings and sawdust are of the building/construction industry so there are never shortages of supply or quality issues because the housing market is slow, etc

Also with up to 90% of the wood pellets now being exported to the Far East markets and shortages looming of the wood based products, it is probably a smart idea to start looking at alternative bedding products that are now available in the marketplace

Plus - as there is no dust with the product and no ammonia smells it is also perfect for a closed environment like a trailer, especially for long distance hauling

Let me know if you do have any questions I can help with!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)