'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saddle Bag Lunch

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-06 10:51 AM
42 replies, 12612 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-10-25 2:37 PM (#50608 - in reply to #50605)
Subject: RE: Saddle Bag Lunch

Veteran

Longrider,

I hope at retirement age I still have that kind of energy to want it fast at work and at play. Sort of effects me in a different way though. I've had jobs for the better part of my adult life that where/are fast paced and I've took a disliking to them over time.When it comes to riding time I'm ready to unwind and relax with some slow riding and looking around.Enjoy the fast pace all you can and hope for you a enjoyable retirement as well when that time comes!

,Ardly

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-10-25 3:15 PM (#50612 - in reply to #50394)

Wow, this thread is starting to look like some of the messes I started on horse forum.  Dwight you all are definitely not lollygagers, but that is not to say lollygagging is bad.  Actually you all ride like we like to and we are soooo looking forward to the next gathering.

I look at my horse and see my friend, not a business partner.

Now back on point, I'm getting a little hungry, think I'll go raid the icebox...oh yes, here's homemade pimento cheese and some chips and some pickles (sweet of course) ................................

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-10-25 6:26 PM (#50625 - in reply to #50394)

Extreme Veteran

Longrider,

Hey thanks for being cool! I can see your point definately on pain in the stomach from eating while endurance riding, kina like runners and those side cramps from water, been there done that, on horse and running. I like to see the pics. of the endurance rides, they are really neat, I would love to do one someday, I think my gal would be a good candidate, she is always doing something of the strenous sort, wether looking for cattle in the mountains, or on the ranch, to finding a trail on the highest ridges of the sierras.

Good luck on your rides!

would like to see pics of ya!

Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-26 1:40 PM (#50671 - in reply to #50612)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by rose on 2006-10-25 3:15 PM

Wow, this thread is starting to look like some of the messes I started on horse forum.  Dwight you all are definitely not lollygagers, but that is not to say lollygagging is bad.  Actually you all ride like we like to and we are soooo looking forward to the next gathering.

I look at my horse and see my friend, not a business partner.

Now back on point, I'm getting a little hungry, think I'll go raid the icebox...oh yes, here's homemade pimento cheese and some chips and some pickles (sweet of course) ...........................

Rose: We're not talking about horsemeat sandwiches in our saddlebags here. And yes, my horse is my business partner because on rides he is all business. He is not vicious or mean, but the main reasons that I purchased him were because of his build, temperament, and his ready to go!!!!!!!! attitude.

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-10-26 8:15 PM (#50699 - in reply to #50394)

And isn't it wonderful that horses come in so many personalities......friend, business partner, and so forth!
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-26 8:55 PM (#50701 - in reply to #50394)

Extreme Veteran

Absolutely. All of our horses are our good friends. Can't say that he's my best friend as that title belongs to my wife of 46 years.

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-27 2:52 PM (#50738 - in reply to #50394)

Elite Veteran

For those too worried about what you carry,travel light! Just eat what you find,pine cones,leaves,dandelions,bugs,although that burrito sounded good,maybe some chorizo on it too!

That would make the bugs go down easier.

Warm it up on the coals,wash it down with some filtered cold spring water.

Where is this burrito place?

Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-10-30 9:14 PM (#50882 - in reply to #50394)

Regular

I suppose endurance riders have to keep the load as light as possible and have their meals provided for them at the end of the ride?  Are there lunch breaks?  When you are training, do you bring something in a cooler to eat when you are done?

Trail riding, I try to always have something along to eat because I have felt shakey at the end of a ride and I don't keep my horse at home.  I board my horse a ways away from  a source of food.

For search and rescue missions we cannot assume that we will be fed, but sometimes agencies supply food.  I participate in grid searches as well as hasty searches and they can be more mentally exhausting than physically exhausting.  A grid search would be the opposite of an endurance ride, I imagine.

Anyways, I need to keep nourished to stay sharp.

N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-10-30 9:22 PM (#50884 - in reply to #50394)

Elite Veteran

You can't beat a good Pimento Cheese sandwich.  Also like to bring some crackers, a can of Chunky Chicken Spread, and some squeeze cheese.  A baggie of feed for my horse, and a can of Vienna Sausage for my dog.  Nothing but the best for us!!
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-10-31 12:23 AM (#50888 - in reply to #50882)

Extreme Veteran

I just started endurance riding, and during training rides (about 20 miles) I've taken a power bar, a bottle of half gatorade/half water, a peice of string cheese, and a midway snack for the horse consisting of a gallon size bag of soaked beet pulp/oats/chopped carrots. I have taken granola bars in the past for trail rides and shared them with my horse... he loves them. That's before I figured out I could take something for him in the big ziploc bag, as long as I bring a collapsable bucket for him to eat it from. Most of the time I forget to eat on a training ride, because we're often moving fast and have to concentrate on the terrain and obstacles. It is nice to have something to eat though, for you and your horse, after you've been riding hard. I'd say drinking water and or gatorade is more important, especially when it's hot. Nothing I take weighs much, except the soaked horse grain mix, and I only take that on a strenous training ride. My horse really appreciates it, and he does much much better, as would most people who have been burning a lot of energy.
I must say, I have done lots of riding in my day, barrel racing, bush league racing, trail riding, even chariot racing, but this is the first try at endurance, and so far I love it! It's really exhilirating to be riding at a faster pace, sometimes on the edge of you and your horse's ability. And such a good feeling to finish - I really feel like a team with my horse when I endurance ride.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-10-31 11:37 AM (#50902 - in reply to #50394)

Elite Veteran

We make turkey meatloaf sandwiches which are  wonderful out on the trail.  Ingredients include chopped veggies (brocolli, carrots, mushrooms, onions, spinch, etc), oatmeal instead of bread crumbs, and a couple eggs, & top with catsup.  They fill those cravings for those of us that like to stop and eat and enjoy the scenery.

I also buy the store brand oats & honey granola bars when on sale and give to my horse at lunch along with some carrots.  After all, he's the one doing the work.

Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-11-02 9:43 PM (#51034 - in reply to #50394)

Veteran

WELL CALL ME LOLLYGAGGER
What can be better than a 4 hour ride, find a place in nature with a beautiful view, relax, enjoy and munch down. Then a nice ride back to camp. YEP, I am definetly a trail riding lolly gagger, and proud of it. EL PASO BOB
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-11-03 4:42 AM (#51042 - in reply to #51034)

Extreme Veteran

Ain't a damned thing wrong with it!

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-11-03 2:09 PM (#51069 - in reply to #51034)

Expert

That's the way I like to ride.  And now that we are moved to NM I have lots of  almost traffic free land to ride on.  Gotta love the open range states.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-04 10:18 AM (#51092 - in reply to #50394)

Extreme Veteran

I guess I'll have to change my moniker to 'Lolligagger'. We take long rides with frequent breaks. I like to ride for a couple of hours. Stop and give the horses a break (5 minutes or so). Then ride a couple of hours and stop for lunch (1/2 hour or so). My wife makes "roll-ups", sandwiches on flat bread or tortillas, lunch meat or sliced ham, cream cheese, lettuce, bread&butter pickle (drained) and maybe tomatoes in the summer. We carry them in a tupperwear-type container. Also have some mixed nuts in a baggie, a cookie or two and a granola bar or baby carrots (to share with my horse, Cloud9. we'll usually have one of those fruit cups for a dessert. AND, most important is a Wal-Mart bag for the garbage.- Pack it in, pack it out. All in the bag keeps the saddle bag clean.

For shorter rides of 2-4 hours we'll just carry some nuts and a granola bar. Always have a bottle of water.

With frequent breaks my arthritic knees will hold up for a long ride. We ride TWHs and alternate between gaiting and walking. A good ride is between 4 and 8 hours. As my arthritis gets worse, the longer rides are fewer.

We don't lolligag on the trail but we don't race either. We like to see the scenery, but don't want to paint it.

Edited by Cloud9 2006-11-04 10:22 AM
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-11-05 5:22 PM (#51142 - in reply to #50394)

Extreme Veteran

Cloud9 - My hat's off to you for the trash bag. Most lollygaggers that we run across on our rides just leave their cans and trash along the trail. They'll find a big shade tree in warm weather to stop under and leave sandwich bags, all kinds of cellophane wrappers, empty bottles and cans for someone else to pick up. And now with the hunting season, we have to deal with hunters "messes" also. Makes me wonder if they have maid service at home.
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-11-06 7:01 AM (#51155 - in reply to #50394)

Extreme Veteran

Cloud9 - I want to go riding with you!  Maybe I am a lollygagger afterall!

We always pack in / pack out. I hate seeing trash on the trail. I even put my cigarette butts in my pocket.  And I have been known to pick up other peoples' garbage at rest stops.  Leave it a little better than you found it...

RIDE ON!

siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-11-06 10:51 AM (#51163 - in reply to #51155)

Extreme Veteran

I'm with you!

We have taken a wagon and mule to our trail area near the house, and picked up everything from old mattresses, to dirty diapers! It seems the more folks from the valley who move to the desert, we get the slobs. Too D..m lazy to pay their trash bill, and figure if there is no one living on the trail it is ok. Guess what, ALL the land belongs to someone, and most is PRIVATE property. Our beautiful buttes and sand hills have been destroyed in places by discourteous dirt bag/dirt bikes, slobs with beer cans, and clowns with their lack of two brain cells. Soooo... it seems to be up to us riders to try and make a dent in the destruction.

[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/siseley/trailridemescalndisney037.jpg[/IMG]

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)