'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
SHE WILL NOT COME!!!!!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-03 10:54 AM
15 replies, 4638 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

3horsefanatic
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-10-20 6:44 PM (#50367)
Subject: SHE WILL NOT COME!!!!!!!

A couple years ago I came to know this dark brown standardbred named "Gone to the Beach"(a.k.a Twiggie)     She is halter broke and is a retired sulky horse. She is not mine(I WISH!!), and cannot be caught or touched by anyone except me or her owner.Did I mention she was 16? I want to try and convince the owner to let me help her to get trained to be ridable. Before I do anything with her, I would like her to come to me in the paddock. GIVE ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 3horsefanatic 2006-10-21 3:16 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-10-21 6:09 AM (#50371 - in reply to #50367)
Subject: RE: SHE WILL NOT COME!!!!!!!

Expert

Invest some money and some time in getting a book or videofrom Perelli or Clinton Anderson, read it and follow it to a T, don't adjust the program to your horse, adjust your horse to the program. It works, without going into the whole spill your horse has no respect for you if she won't let you catch her.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-21 7:53 PM (#50378 - in reply to #50371)

Expert

HWBAR is right that is the best and safes way for you and the horse good luck i know it can be done
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-10-22 6:58 AM (#50391 - in reply to #50367)

Expert

Trust.If she was a sulky horse every time she was caught she was worked hard,messed with etc.some figure it out just like trail pleasure horses.Getting a trail horse to load after a long hot day of many miles on the trail is usually not hard.Mine run to jump on.I wonder why,LOL. Think what that mare has gone through in her day.Start catching her to feed,groom,be niceto her.No work in the begining.A couple weeks of that they usually start coming around.I also agree with the respect etc.but she thinks she's retired!
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-10-22 10:20 PM (#50438 - in reply to #50391)

Expert

hounddog you are right on the money. trust if very big with horse .  you should just go out in the field and visit her with some treat and a kind word.
cowby
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-10-23 12:25 AM (#50441 - in reply to #50367)

This is a hard one to answer without knowing your level experience and the true reasons behind the horses behavior. So, go the library and get the book "Lyons on Horses" by John Lyons. Then get a lawn chair, book and go sit in the paddock and read the book. By observing the behavior of the horse,you can apply what your seeing to what your reading. Time and patience are the key. Don't fall for the common belief that you can read a book or watch a video and know everything about horses, the thing to remember is that the authors of these books have years and years of experiance and that every horse will be different.

Cowby 

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-23 10:46 AM (#50457 - in reply to #50367)

Elite Veteran

Well ya got My attention!!

One of the Horsemen on RFD tv, Cox

Just did a thing on this.He had a horse that did this and bu the end it was coming to him.

Just keep working on it and rewarding it untill you get the results you wan't.

shequila16
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-23 1:36 PM (#50471 - in reply to #50457)

Regular

I can tell you that the reward system is the whole key herel You can start out by "cheating" and unwrapping a peppermint when she is close to you.  She will learn to associate you with something pleasant.  After a very short time, trust me, she will hear that candy wrapper from far away.  When she learns to trust you, you don't have to spoil her, but can use other rewards.  Had a horse that wouldn't be caught and after a week all he had to see was my hand reaching in my pocket and - bam - there he was waiting!  GOOD LUCK!!
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-23 3:56 PM (#50480 - in reply to #50367)

Extreme Veteran

Why does everytime a person wants a horse to do something they think giving them a treat is the answer (food).  A treat to a horse can just be enjoying your company, brushing, and attention.  I don't do treats.  It brings on bad habits. I really don't care to be attacked by the mad sniffer looking for a treat.  If they smell it you may get bit. It just takes patience and time. Use their curiousity to your advantage.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-10-23 4:58 PM (#50490 - in reply to #50480)

Expert

Originally written by Spooler on 2006-10-23 3:56 PM

Why does everytime a person wants a horse to do something they think giving them a treat is the answer (food).  A treat to a horse can just be enjoying your company, brushing, and attention.  I don't do treats.  It brings on bad habits. I really don't care to be attacked by the mad sniffer looking for a treat.  If they smell it you may get bit. It just takes patience and time. Use their curiousity to your advantage.

I'm with you, no candy or treats here, if you read Perelli, Monte and Clinton they ain't walking around with a bunch of candy in their pockets, it's about respect, horses are naturally inqusitive and will want to be around you if you engage them, I would guess they would also want to be around a feed bucket(candy store). I would rather my horses come to me looking for guidance rather than looking for treats.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-10-23 5:54 PM (#50495 - in reply to #50367)

Expert

I'm y no means one in favor of treats but each situation is differant.I aguired a 11 range mare that would not halter,lead etc.It took days to get her to eat a little grain from a bucket 10 feet from me.Any closer and whoosh,GONE.Once a day with a qtr scoop ofr feed we narrowed that feet to in front of me and me talking nice to her.Finally from between my feet.Then a touch,rub etc.Then the rope and halter just touching when she chewed.A content horse chews.If the chewing stopped I could feel she was wanting to leave and I'd just talk gently.Now she leads,loads,ties,can handle feet BUT does not come to anyone else,LOL. I used the grain to even start handling her feet,legs.As long as she was chewing.Had a set back with her one day.Went to handle a rear and she struck at me.I poped her not hard with the flat of my hand on the rear and scolded.Took a WEEK to get her to come back to me and would not touch the grain any closer then a couple of feet from me without ever taking a eye off me.We have progressed a long ways from that day.I did try round penning her etc.but madde more headway with this animal better with a little grain and taking to.Each animal is a little diferant.I NEVER feed a treat from my hand.She did try to bite me in earnest a few times.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-23 7:11 PM (#50501 - in reply to #50367)

Extreme Veteran

I am with ya houndog.  Feed in a bucket is very very different than treats in the hand.  Your right every horse is different. I would of done the same thing with the kick.  Whap with an open hand on the offending leg, I don't fuss at em though.  I don't make a big deal out of it.  I just try to act like the lead mare and go on about whatever I was doing. They seem to take it better that way. It's funny how they do in the pasture.  They normally will get warned by the other horse, turn and face with ears back, turn and look ears back with a slight walk forward, and if that didn't work here comes the kick. Ouch!!!!!
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-10-23 10:53 PM (#50517 - in reply to #50367)

Extreme Veteran

Well I thought I might as well explain why I am so strongly against treats (by hand).  I did this a couple of years ago.  I luckily didn't create a problem horse but here is what happened.  I was working with a horse and would treat as a reward.  I only did this a couple of times.  The next thing I know when I would walk out to groom, the horse would be sniffing my pocket looking for the treat.  I noticed this quickly and stopped rewarding with treats all together. I now reward with praise.  If I go out to halter a horse I will not always work the horse. I may groom and walk them out to the pasture. That way they will not think everytime they see me I am going to work them.  I may rope halter them, groom, pick up feet, roundpen, ride, lead, or any combination. They all meet me at the gate when they see the rope halter. I now have a hard time deceiding which one to take first.
shequila16
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-24 1:25 PM (#50537 - in reply to #50517)

Regular

No one has to live their life giving their horses tons of treats.  But, it DOES work with a new horse to build their trust in you.  Hey, whatever works for you, go for it.  My horses ALWAYS come when called, although they only get treats every once in a while!
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-10-31 10:18 PM (#50934 - in reply to #50367)

Veteran

I have had the best results with giving grain/treat rewards for good behavior for horses who were fearful or had trust issues, but all horses can profit from it.  I do give them in a bucket not by hand.

The horse usually needs an incentive to come to you from out of a pasture.....especially if he has to leave the herd to do so.  Some horses will do so for attention and a scratch behind the ear but most will not.  I don't think a horse should receive a treat for every positive behavior everytime......but what is so wrong with giving a little healthy carrot snack to encourage more good behavior?  We reward our children with incentives for good behavior and we reward ourselves too when we accomplish something important, a nice bowl of chocolate mint icecream does it for me or a trip to The Olive Garden for dinner.

Give a carrot, a piece of apple or some grain in a bucket to your horse in the pasture when he comes to you but the first few times do not make him do anything to get it and give him lots of praise.  After that when he comes for the treat just put the halter on and lead him around in a circle and brush or curry him.....then turn him loose with lots of praise and your choice of treat.  Work your way up until he comes easily and give a treat only half the time but always lots of praise and petting. 

Continue this way up until he comes to you easily and then take him out for a ride.......and give him a treat after the ride just before you take the halter off to let him loose in the pasture....this is your final act of affection and thanks.  Believe me your horse will remember the last thing you did to him before you let him loose.

Good Luck

cat_nap_2
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2006-11-03 10:54 AM (#51062 - in reply to #50457)

hello, I've worked with abused horses and they have told me with out saying a word what is bothering them.  You need to observe your mare and see how she reacts toward you and her surroundings.  She will tell you what is bothering her if you just observe.  It may not be that she does not have your respect, it may be that she is scared to death of you.  To get her trust you need to let her know that you are the alpha and a nice one.  That starts in the round pen once you know what is eating on her.  Then there are steps in that round pen to get her to submit to you.  Good luck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)