'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anyone ride at Erbie/Buffalo River in Arjkansas?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-04 10:59 AM
5 replies, 4854 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-10-16 10:35 PM (#50181)
Subject: Anyone ride at Erbie/Buffalo River in Arjkansas?

Elite Veteran

I think the Buffalo River trails are some of the most beautiful we've ever ridden...The camp at Erbie is primitive but nice (especially if you don't have a Baldnobber reunion with 25 people in the campsite nextdoor... after riding Shawnee last fall and running into closed trails and other blockages we have tried Erbie and Cedar Lake too. Anyone else have some favorites in MO/ARK/Okla?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-11-02 6:47 AM (#50977 - in reply to #50181)
Subject: RE: Anyone ride at Erbie/Buffalo River in Arjkansas?

Veteran

We went to Ponca couple of years ago and stayed at Steel Creek not far from erbie. The camp had nice views of the bluffs of the river. No shade was the only  thing I didn't like but the riding was so pretty. Did you get to granny's cabin? Want to head back that way again. DK
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-11-02 7:35 AM (#50981 - in reply to #50977)

Elite Veteran

Hey ! we did get to Granny's cabin and twin falls and hemmed in hollow (big falls you walk in .7 miles to see(gorgeous) ... We are thinking about going to Erbie (has shade) water supply nearby. I checked to see if gun hunting season and it doesn't start til November 11th. We find new trails every time we go and love it... be sure your horses are shod though. To get to Erbie take the "Erbie cuttoff road" off HWY 65/7 south at a little convernience corner store go west. The road is paved then goes to gravel/dirt and seems long... go slow if you have a big rig but it is way easier than Steel Creek camp and the camp is primitive but has fire pits/lamposts/picnic tables/areas to pen or picket horses....
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-04 10:36 AM (#51093 - in reply to #50181)

Extreme Veteran

In western AR, we like the Huckleberry mountain state park. Same trails as Loneseome D. About 50 miles east of Fort Smith.

Haven't been to OK yet, but plan to go to Robber's Cave S.P., Cedar Lake S.P. and Horse Heaven Ranch (horseheavenranchreort.com)I've heard great things about all 3 places. They are in eastern OK not far from Fort Smith, AR.

Southern Missouri has a ton of great places. We like Whispering Pines in Jadwin, MO just south of Salem, MO. Ride in the Current River. About 30 miles from Emmenance, but without the crowds.

Further West, near Joplin, Huckleberry Stables in Pineville, MO.

We also like Shady Point in Frederickstown, south of Farmington. It's a new camp ground - only been open a year - surrounded by the Mark Twain Nat'l Forest. The nicest people you could want. Electric and water hookups a shower house and bathroom (flush toilet)and stalls for the horses.

Two nice parks near St. Louis - Cuiver River S.P. in Troy, MO and Greensfelder County Park in Eureka Just off I-44 at the Six Flags exit. Both have nice woodsy trails that are easy to moderate.

If you like lots of people and prepared meals, Cross Country Trail Rides in Emminance, not as crowded Panther Creek Trail Ride on a 4500 acre working cattle ranch with Longhorns and Angus. Golden Hills Trail Ride. Golden Hills is building lots of houses for horse pople and have sacrificed some trails.

Edited by Cloud9 2006-11-04 10:55 AM
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-11-04 10:45 AM (#51094 - in reply to #50181)

Elite Veteran

Cloud 9... We have been to all of the mentioned trails with one exception... Horse Heaven. We loved the camp at Cedar Lake and the burn ban is off now so you can have a campfire. We went to Devil's Den Park (has hookups and great trails, no hunting) two weeks ago and think it is a great stopover camp/ride on way further south to Horse Heaven/Cedar Lake/A-Z Ranch or Lonesome D....

We are so close to Busiek/Bar-K/Hercules Glades/Willie Lee... but we love to blaze new trails and plan to get around more. There is a big New Year's ride at Horse Heaven, I think...

Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-11-04 10:59 AM (#51095 - in reply to #51094)

Extreme Veteran

CalamityJ, I know a few people from the Springfield area who are planning to go to Horse Heaven for New Year's. We are in NE MO and I'm just too concerned about what the weather might be on the way back at that time of year.

But it does sound like something fun.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)