'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Possible to make older trailer water-tight???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-27 10:13 PM
3 replies, 2878 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 8:56 PM (#49254)
Subject: Possible to make older trailer water-tight???

Regular

My 1993 Royle Trailer leaks like the Titanic :)

Mind you, it's all-original and sat out in a field when not in use. It's new to me. We plan on doing some repairs to it this year - but man, when it rains, it pours. On the inside :) The good news - the ceiling is water-tight. Not a drop. However, the sides? The windows leak. The sheet metal has leaks, which has resulted in ALL of the plywood lining the walls rotting. I pulled up the floorboards today (in really good shape) and there is surface rust on all the supports. Tried to stick knives in all manner of corners on the supports, no give, so that's good. Painted the supports with Tremclad, just for the heck of it. Don't know if that was a waste of time or not.

Really my issues are with the sheet metal. Most of this is going to be replaced, along with the plywood...Should I then run polyurethane caulking on the seams, to prevent (minimize) the leakage? The escape door no longer leaks, courtesy of some weatherstripping. But man...those walls. And what do you use to minimize leakage on the ramp? Weatherstripping again? The ramp is going to be replaced as it too has some severe rot.

I guess the good news is the ceiling and the structure is good....right????
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-27 9:58 PM (#49256 - in reply to #49254)
Subject: RE: Possible to make older trailer water-tight???

Expert

You have yourself a full time job with that trailer.  But I can tell you from my experiance... it can be made water tight.  I would suggest looking at the floors again.  If the water was in the walls, gravity would move it to the floor along the wall too.  I had floor rot at the wall / floor joint.

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 10:11 PM (#49257 - in reply to #49254)

Regular

No kidding. Just cleaning it up has been consuming every day off I have :)

The floor was replaced this year, so hasn't had time to rot, unlike the plywood lining the walls.

So there is hope? I'm lucky - father-in-law owns a body shop and will be re-doing all the sheet metal work from the roof down. Thank God. Friends-n-family discount :)

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 10:13 PM (#49259 - in reply to #49256)

Expert

I think that there is a paint that is used on metal roof? that may i think i have never tryed this just a helping hand good luck...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)