'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
AAHHHHHH WERM flooring

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-18 6:10 AM
19 replies, 6227 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-10 6:11 PM (#48247)
Subject: AAHHHHHH WERM flooring

Regular

Just thought I would let ya know, finally got my WERM flooring in about a month ago, and today just completed a 1900 mile trip to Nebraska, Wyoming and Colorado.

When I get home from all my trips I usually have to pull out the matts and totally clean my trailer. Today I just grabbed the manure fork and the hose and it was cleaned in 10 minutes. No pulling out those urine soaked matts and worring about hurting my back. I definately suggest spending the $800 bucks and get it done. Wish I would not have waited for 3yrs to get it done.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-10 7:42 PM (#48249 - in reply to #48247)
Subject: RE: AAHHHHHH WERM flooring

Veteran

I have it in the 4-Star I just bought. I love it!!!!
cowboync
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-10 9:59 PM (#48253 - in reply to #48247)

Where is the urine going while you are traveling? I am considering drilling a few 3 or 4 1/4" to 3/8" holes in my floor for the urine to escape.

What are your thoughts? Sounds like you travel alot.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-10 10:22 PM (#48259 - in reply to #48247)

Veteran

According to my friends traveling behind me, it went out the back of the trailer onto the road. When we stop to eat or get gas, I always make sure that my trailer is on a slight uphill slant so no urine goes into the 1st stall where I have some things stored.
Lucy Lou Magoo
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-11 12:37 AM (#48267 - in reply to #48247)

I use shavings in my 4-Star and I don't have to worry about it running anywhere.  I would be a little reluctant to drill holes through my trailer floor.  If I happen to be a little short on shavings, I just make sure I concentrate on putting it where the horse does it's business.  Of course, if it's a mare, you only have to concentrate on the butt wall, but if it's a gelding, I make sure I put some more in the middle of his stall also.  When I get home I just pick out the manure & get rid of the soiled shavings with a shovel, if need be.  It's worked fine for me.  I don't know if it's true or not, but I read or heard that a horse will not "go" if they don't have something to prevent splash coming up on their legs.  Who knows for sure.  If I have a lot of shavings in there, I just push it around to cover up the important areas after I clean it out.   That also helps soak up any moisture after shoveling it out.  Makes the trailer smell better too.  Of course, if I was short on shavings, I just clean it all out and start over.  By doing it this way, I don't even have to worry about spraying it out after every use.  Anyway, I absolutely love the WERM flooring. --- Oh, and another thing I do.  If I have an abundance of shavings in there, I will put a fly mask on my horses.  Not for the flies, but I heard where the shavings can blow around going down the road and can get in their eyes.  Well, I hope this helps.     

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-11 3:03 AM (#48269 - in reply to #48247)

Veteran

I don't use shavings because when I camp, I use the horse stalls as additional space from my walk through door. I just hose it out good when I get there and then put a rug down. It is a great place for my dogs, porta potty etc.

You are correct. Horses don't like to go if it is going to splash on them. However, if they have to go badly enough anything goes. My mare loves to go when I am stopped somewhere.

Wildcat Custom
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-11 4:50 AM (#48270 - in reply to #48247)

Does the werm flooring have as much or more cushioning than traditional mats?  Is it a good ride for your horse?

If this seals tight to the wall and channel is there any where for moisture-water to escape from the unfortunate event that you have a water line problem in your living quarters. Many good living quarter designs leave a small gab along the outside wall for such an emergency.  The water would then follow this gap to the rear and normally escape out of the horse area.  This prevents a flooded LQ floor.  A solid sealed floor in the horse quarters would appear to create a dam.

http://www.Wildcatcc.com

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-11 8:50 AM (#48283 - in reply to #48247)

Veteran

I talked to a person in Illinois that installs WERM flooring. He said that the floor has to be clean and they inspect it to make sure it is strong. Then, they pour a liquid on it and let it set up. I thought it was probably like a truck bed that has been poured with the rubber lining. It isn't as soft as the mats but much easier on me.

nabsolute
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-12 11:06 AM (#48383 - in reply to #48247)

I had to throw my two cents in on the urine thing...

I have 2 mares that will wait to pee until I turn them out to pasture in the morning.  My mare will hold it as long as she can, first thing she does is pee in the grass after I let her out.

SHE hates peeing in her stall (mat's w/ shavings) because it splashes a little tiny bit.   BUT... The second I load her in the trailer first thing she does is pee...  Shavings, no shavings, doesn't matter.  Splash all over or not, that's the first thing she does.   I know they like the trailer to smell like them, but that's why they are supposed to POOP back there!!!    I guess she would rather pee.

I've got the 'rumber' toung and groove flooring which lets the urine drain right out the bottom.   With mares that pee in there so much, its nice because my rear tack isn't sealed all the way to the floor. 

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-12 12:06 PM (#48387 - in reply to #48247)

Veteran

My mare will not go while we are moving but when I stop the trailer, she takes the opportunity to go. That is why I try to park with a slight uphill angle and since I have a portable tack area, I also have to tilt it so the urine flows out the door.
Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-09-12 1:39 PM (#48397 - in reply to #48247)

Regular

We have a wood floor with mats. We still use the shavings just to make them comfortable. Works great.
Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-09-13 11:00 PM (#48505 - in reply to #48247)

Regular

We have WERM flooring and use pelleted bedding in the trailer. Bed it down just like you would your stall.  We use 8-9 bag's (it's a 4 horse), just pick the poop and fluff the wet spot's.  No smell and no splashing on their ankles.  One bedding will last month's with a little addition of more pellet's. 

Several year's ago we were in Montana and met a lady from Utah who had her trailer bedded with "corn cob grit".  About 4-5 inch's deep.  She got it from a man who used corncob grit to tan mink hides.  When he was through with the grit, he sold it for $1 a bag. 

Lucy Lou Magoo
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-14 5:40 AM (#48517 - in reply to #48247)

Rick,  I see where you are also from Iowa & was wondering where you had your WERM flooring done?  A friend of mine just loves the WERM flooring in my trailer (I ordered my 4-Star that way) and is wanting to have it put in her trailer.  Her trailer is not very old & she said that besides being a pain in the ...buttocks...to get the mats out & even worse to get them back in, (It took both her & her husband to do it) that she already found a little pitting on the aluminum floor.  She does use shavings and plenty of them.  I know what she is talking about because my other trailer (my first trailer - which I still have) has mats, & its only a 2-horse. -- Still not fun draggin' them mats around.  *Also, what is the size of your trailer?  

Thanks.

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-14 7:46 AM (#48522 - in reply to #48247)

Veteran

On an earlier thread about WERM flooring, this is the advice that was given about finding a location. I did call Kris and there was a place 2 hours from me in Illinois but I decided to get a different trailer and it does have WERM flooring. My back thanks me daily!

.....the owner is Kris Parmer and he has other dealerships in different parts of the country - give him a call....1-800-350-7564....

Haflingers4Me
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-15 12:28 AM (#48573 - in reply to #48522)

What kind of warranty does the WERM flooring have?
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-15 7:19 AM (#48587 - in reply to #48247)

Veteran

I don't know. I didn't get that far...decided to sell my trailer instead.
nolefan
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-16 9:56 AM (#48637 - in reply to #48587)

Regular

Arlene - why did you decide to sell your trailer?  I have a 4-start too and was considering adding werm.

Thanks

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-17 1:43 PM (#48663 - in reply to #48247)

Veteran

I love my 4-Star and I wouldn't have any other brand. Mine had everything but a bathroom and I decided to get one with a bathroom now so it would be paid for by the time I retire (I'm 17)just kidding. I found an '04 on this site that is absolutely wonderful. I have werm flooring in it and it seems fine. I am going to put a small rubber mat in the 3rd stall where I store some things so if there is urine it will stay in the last 2 stalls.
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-17 9:12 PM (#48681 - in reply to #48247)

Regular

Lucy Lou, I got my trailer done at B& G Flooring it is actually a muffler shop in lincoln, neb. but they do this on the side. Phone # 1-402-314-1944

At 2540 West O st Lincoln.

My trailer is a three horse slant 8ft wide Goose neck with 10ft LQ they also did all the way into the mangers. $808.00

I just got back for So Iowa and I just love this WERM, just grabbed the hose today and hosed it out.
Lucy Lou Magoo
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-09-18 6:10 AM (#48691 - in reply to #48681)

Thanks Rick,  I will tell my friend today. Like I said, she just loves the werm flooring in my trailer and I personally wouldn't be without it. You will find that you'll actually get quite spoiled having the werm and won't have a trailer without it either. Congrats on finally having it done. It will be worth the wait, if not already.

Thanks Again.    

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)