'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
mulberrry stains on a white horse

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-15 5:53 PM
11 replies, 4206 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-06-10 10:23 AM (#42821)
Subject: mulberrry stains on a white horse

Regular

My mostly all white paint likes our mulberry tree! We didn't even know there was one on the fence line of the pasture until yesterday. I went out to chore and it looked like blood was smeared all over him. When he got closer, I realized he was PURPLE!! I don't know if he rolled on the berries that dropped or was scrathing against the tree branches, but he is almost completely covered on one side and has several smears on the other. I did fence off that part of the pasture for now.Currently he isn't real thrilled about water and baths (we're working on that) and we have fair next month. Any suggestions? I think he may have sensitive skin as well because he doesn't like fly spray- either sprayed on put on a brush and brushed on. He is white and has the pink skin. Will it naturally be out by next month?Any home remedies or suggestions? Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-06-10 10:45 AM (#42823 - in reply to #42821)
Subject: RE: mulberrry stains on a white horse

Veteran

Alto Labs makes 2 very good products:  one is Dung Away & it takes manure stains out really well (I usually buy it from Libertyville Saddle Shop http://www.saddleshop.com/  They also make a shampoo called Shimmering White that is wonderful for white horses.  Cowboy Magic makes a great stain remover I'm told.  And I know of people who have used Oxyclean to whiten their horses.  Now, for the spraying....take a clean spray bottle, fill it w/water & just keep misting him....if he moves around, etc, just keep following him until he stops & relaxes/submits/licks his lips - then stop & praise him.  Then do it again - & again - & again until he stands right off being sprayed.  He's not the sensitive one - he's just got YOU trained!    You can do the same w/a water hose.  If you're gonna have a mostly white horse, he's gonna HAVE to get used to water!! I know grass stains were always tuff to get out of my mostly white App back in my show days, but not impossible!  Good luck!
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-10 12:32 PM (#42830 - in reply to #42821)

Expert

We used to use woolite on our bay and white paint.  Does your horse have reactions to the fly spray, aside from not wanting it on?  Dry flaky itchy skin?  Rashes?  If not he's probally not sensitive to it, he just doesn't want it on.   Some horses just don't like to be sprayed or aren't used to it.   I have a mare that doesn't like to be sprayed and its not the spray, its the sound.  I bought one of the pump up lawn sprayers and use that to mix the concentrates and spray the horses.  Saves my hands and puts a nice even mist over the horses coat. 
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-06-10 2:16 PM (#42834 - in reply to #42821)

Extreme Veteran

I like to use Cowboy Magic green spot remover on my buckskin when she get bad stains.  You can probably buy it in most farm stores.
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-06-10 3:35 PM (#42837 - in reply to #42821)

Regular

Thank you. I'll try a shampoo when the weather warms. The well water can be pretty COLD. I did have him in the barn and sprayed water from a bottle all around him. I guess I need to get at that more often and keep it up daily. I thought he might be sensitive because when I spray a brush and then go to wipe it on him he doesn't even want to be brushed. He also curls his lip and licks his lips after I do wipe him. I do think he's playing me, though. I just need to get off my butt and put the time in for the results. He's pretty green. It took over a week for him to accept and want to wear a fly mask. I also hose him off while he's in a stall and he does give in and just stand there, but I can see all his muscles tightened. I know I need patience and time. I'll look for the shampoo. He's just a trail horse and most stains don't bother me. This is my first white horse. He's often more brown tahn white due to mud and rolling, but it's when I saw the purple I was shocked!
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-11 11:05 AM (#42863 - in reply to #42821)

Elite Veteran

I feel your pain; my mostly white horse only liked to roll at horse shows when he could rub his bands out and smear manure. Rubbing alcohol might be worth a try-it will take out manure stains pretty well and is cheap. More for spot cleaning than all over though.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-06-11 5:48 PM (#42868 - in reply to #42821)

Expert

another option is to body clip him. #10 blade will take off the stained hair. Plus, a body clipped horse is easier to keep clean. There are some people who won't clip for a variety of reasons but I do and have not been disappointed with it.

Cold water is better for a horses skin than warm. I wash with cold well water and the horses get used to it.

Echo's Mom
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2006-06-12 11:47 AM (#42898 - in reply to #42821)

New User

Why is cold water better than warm? My gelding seemed to enjoy being sprayed off with warm water - he is not as happy with the cold at our new barn.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-06-14 11:16 AM (#43004 - in reply to #42821)

Expert

cold water helps to seal the pores in your horses coat preventing fungal infections. Cold water also prevents hair shaft breakage on manes and tails. Horses are tough ctitters and cold water will not hurt them. I rinse and wash in cold all the time, never use warm and gee, they haven't shrunk yet.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-06-14 12:07 PM (#43007 - in reply to #43004)

Expert

Maybe that's the problem with my mare.  She has "skin" problems.  Our water comes out of the tap at luke warm.  No cold water down here unless your pipes are burried DEEP.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-06-15 9:04 AM (#43042 - in reply to #42821)

Elite Veteran

I have a palomino paint and she had mulberry all over. I took Cowboy Magic spot remover and sponged it on the spot and it worked well. Rinsed with water aftewards...The stuff is great!
marn
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-06-15 5:53 PM (#43079 - in reply to #42821)

Regular

I haven't had a chance to use the cowboy magic yet. Turns out Mother Nature took care of it for me. It rained and he likes to roll in the dirt. He turned back into his "dirty white" color.I did take the cold hose to him a few times recently. After the first time it hits him, he settles down and takes it. I wouldn't say he enjoys it yet, but he stands for it. I opened the pasture back up and he found the trees again within a few hours. My husband says I should take a picture of my purple horse. We also decided he's not going to fair and so I don't really care what color he is this year. It's quite a conversation piece to have a purple horse. I also stopped babying him and fly spray him at will. I'm sure he'll get used to it by the end of summer.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)