'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
AAA-type coverage for travel with horse trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-23 8:59 AM
9 replies, 4074 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-22 11:13 AM (#42089)
Subject: AAA-type coverage for travel with horse trailers?

We met a very nice couple from FL this weekend. They've been on the road for 6 weeks, just moseying all over, trail riding. We enjoyed talking with them about their experiences, and their recommendations for emergency situations that might arise.

They use AAA and pay a little more for coverage on their GN that has a LQ. I wonder if anyone here uses that service (not plain AAA, but AAA on their trailer). If so, have you ever had to use it? Comments?

Also, I know there's another service whose name escapes me; any experience/comments about them would be great,too.

We travel a fair amount around the SE and so far, touch wood, no issues. But in the last week three trucks I know well, ours, and two friend's trucks; gave up the ghost and required service, and each time, horses were involved I don't want to get stuck in East Nowhere with no help to call on.

Suggestions? Experiences? Please share!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-22 11:40 AM (#42090 - in reply to #42089)
Subject: RE: AAA-type coverage for travel with horse trailers?

Elite Veteran

US Rider is the way to go.  They cover both vehicles and when you call them the first question is, "do you have your horses with you?"  If so, they can arrange to transport them to a safe place if needed (overnight, etc).  My truck got stuck in sand and they were there within 20 minutes, pulled it out and the driver didn't even want a tip.  He said it was a such a nice call, he couldn't take anything.  He enjoyed seeing the horses running around in the pasture, etc.

Several of my friends have needed them and were very happy with the service, etc.  They can help anywhere in the US and I reccomend over any other service.

USRider Equestrian Motor Plan (800) 844-1409 for more info. They have a website http://www.usrider.org/ as well and give discounts to horse clubs.  They will waive the admin fee.   

(I took the emergency ph # off as that's what it's for, for member emergencies. But replaced with the info #, MrTruck)  

Edited by Dunoir 2006-05-22 11:43 AM
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-05-22 1:15 PM (#42095 - in reply to #42089)

Extreme Veteran

Ditto on US Rider is the only way to go.  You can pay more by using AAA which I did for years and then reluctantly switched due to my wife's insistence.  I've had to use them and their service is superlative without question.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-22 1:34 PM (#42096 - in reply to #42089)

Expert

I have USRider and have had to use them only ONCE, when I showed up at an overnight stable that I really wanted to not board horses at.
They were able to find me an excellent stable at a fair price within about 30 miles of where I had originally planned to stay.
Prompt, courteous service, etc.
BTW, from other threads I gather that AAA won't help you if your truck is in fact a truck (more than a pick-up), i.e. if it runs on more than 5 wheels.
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-22 6:36 PM (#42107 - in reply to #42089)

Expert

Absolutely US Rider!!
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-22 7:56 PM (#42115 - in reply to #42089)

Extreme Veteran

I second, third,forth etc.....  US Rider is the only way to go. AAA won't come to the aid of a dually. Even if you are the passenger, tagging a ride with a friend, you are covered.
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-22 10:04 PM (#42125 - in reply to #42115)

Extreme Veteran

Another vote here for USRider.
grayland
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-22 10:49 PM (#42135 - in reply to #42089)

Regular

I switched to US Rider last year after 20 years with AAA.  Thankfully, I haven't had to use the service (and glad to hear so many of you are having such good things to say about them).  I made the switch after I had to have my SUV towed home and rode with the AAA wrecker driver - very nice lady, who also owned horses.  I asked her for details on what AAA would and wouldn't do for trucks and trailers - she explained that with the RV policy, they WOULD tow or change a tire on a truck and trailer, UNLESS it contained livestock.  And as noted above, they will won't change tires on dually's either.

I became pretty disenchanted with AAA a few months later when I had some major brake problems when about 100 miles from home.  My sister, my 9-year old daughter and I were in a somewhat "rough" part of Louisville - the dispatcher told me it would be at least 2 - 3 hours before they could get there, then wanted to know how many people were in the car.  When I told her 3 and also explained that we were from out of town, she said that AAA policy would not allow more than 2 passenger in the wrecker, and suggested that I just "leave the little girl with 'somebody'".  The poor guy that was passed out on the park bench nearby didn't look like a likely candidate, so I found a street map and called 411 for a nearby service station and limped my way there for repairs.  I understand the need for "policies" but that was just a little much considering the situation.

I often wonder why US Rider doesn't set up a booth at Equine Affaire, the Rolex (they're based in Lexington), or other trade shows.  I think people would sign up in droves if they knew more about their services.  US Rider is also involved in sponsorship of Equine/Large animal rescue training in Kentucky.

olehossgal
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-05-23 8:11 AM (#42141 - in reply to #42089)

Regular

Add me to the list recommending US Rider! I haven't had to use it yet, but signed on due to the without-exception ,VERY positive,responses from folks on the CD-List who have it(carriage drivers, who have to haul not only horses, but also, their driving vehicles!).They 'do' duallys(I don't have one,but know lots of horsey folks do..), and as mentioned, the coverage 'travels' with YOU, not your rig, so it's there if you are riding with someone else!! As an older female who often pulls alone, it gives me great piece of mind.

kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-23 8:59 AM (#42145 - in reply to #42141)

Fantastic! Thank you all so much for replying. THis is great news. I'll get signed up ASAP!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)