'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Putting on a horse show.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-23 5:47 PM
7 replies, 3530 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-21 5:35 PM (#39228)
Subject: Putting on a horse show.

Me and my friend might be putting on a horse show here this summer and i was wondering if there is anything i need to buy or know! thanx for your support!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-21 7:02 PM (#39235 - in reply to #39228)
Subject: RE: Putting on a horse show.

Extreme Veteran

Whew, contact someone who has had that experience and they will tell you. Fun and rewarding but lots of work so be prepared.

Do you have a suitable location with lots of parking? stalls? arena? electric? sound system? someone to work up the arena/spray it down? insurance? suitable judges?

So much to get ready for! Good luck!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-03-21 7:22 PM (#39237 - in reply to #39228)

Expert

I have not done a Horse Show, but have put on a number of CTR and Endurance Races.

Our biggest concern was getting the Forest Service or BLM permit. Maybe not aproblem for you, but finding an arena could be.

Liability insurance is available. But some organization dictate what liability insurance you will need. Check with who ever is sanctioning your event. In our case the Forest Service dictated the size of the policy and how it was written.

Of course volunteers are always a struggle.

Get your ribbons ordered well in advance

Vendors & manufactures get hammered with request for donations for prizes. A lot of their budgets are GONE or committed by this time of year. Make sure if you request a donation that the vendor gets something in return. i.e. give them an hour to discuss their product at the show. Make sure every entry package includes the donors literature. Let them set up a booth. Give them the names & addresses of those who atteneded, so they can send out mailing etc. You've need to make a case for them to spend their advertising dollars.  And send them a THANK YOU CARD. Nothing makes a vendor not want to donate next time like feeling un-appreciated. Give them feed back that their donation was appreciated, have your members tell them that they are shopping in their store because they were a donor.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 12:50 AM (#39263 - in reply to #39228)

Elite Veteran

INSURANCE, INSURANCE, INSURANCE. Have your rules thought out ahead of time and stated clearly so that when someone has a question-and believe me they will come up with some you never thought of-you'll be able to make a decision. Do what you can to simplify entries. Someone friendly to run the office, give directions, handle stalling. Especially this first time out, don't try to be everything to everybody unless you have lots of time to run all your classes or lots of people who don't mind staying up all night. Advertise.

Jpro
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-22 7:17 PM (#39333 - in reply to #39228)

I have put on several horse shows from small to fairly big (not breed or "A" circuit shows though) Small local shows are fairly easy to put on. Who would you be putting on the show for (barn/stables, organization, personally, etc)and who are your target competitors? This is what you really need to know before you go too much further in the planning stage, this will dictate the type of location you need/have, the amount of volunteers needed and the overall direction of the show. If your doing it just for fun it's a lot different than running a full scale multi-discipline show for an organization/club. Your biggest expenses can be the ribbons and awards if you offer them. The other posters have a GREAT point about insurance. The organization I do this for has had a few problems due to accidents. To get proper insurance you would be better off doing this as part of a stable or organization that already has established liability insurance. Give me more details about the type of show and I can give you more details about what you will need to put it on.
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-22 8:06 PM (#39336 - in reply to #39228)

Thanx for all the help but the way it sounds from all of this.. i dont know.. we were just thinking a small get together type show
Jpro
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-23 12:57 AM (#39357 - in reply to #39228)

That type of show is really easy and requires very little to put on. If you want to offer ribbons there are small single strand ribbons that you can get for under a buck a piece. (check out Hodges badge co on the web) Another option is to give certificates instead of ribbons. You can purchase blank certificate paper at an office supply store, design what you want on them on your computer then print them out, only cost about $5-$15 for all the certs you would need. If it is just a fun get together you don't have to hire a professional judge, just someone very knowledgeable about what is correct and that can judge it accordingly. Just make sure people coming are aware that it is that type of show. Then just make a class list and flyer to advertise. Any forms you need can be designed and printed off your computer. Past that you just need people to help keep things running. If you want more ideas let me know.
Ride_or_bust
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-23 5:47 PM (#39404 - in reply to #39228)

Hey thanx Jpro! yea its gunna be kinda like a

30 person show im hoping. mainly slow classes because of the size of the ring. the judge is no problem i am friends with a professional tri-state judge. its probably going to be indoors but it should be ok. i think. and yea i like the tips if you have any more make sure to sent me a private message or keep them on this board.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)