'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Household current plugs for dressing room

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-20 3:08 PM
10 replies, 3689 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Bensmom
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-07 9:35 AM (#38371)
Subject: Household current plugs for dressing room

Hi -- I'm new, though I've been lurking for a little while.

I picked up a new trailer last Friday - it is used Jamco 3HSSLGN, but it is new to me!

It already has a ceiling a/c-heat unit in the dressing room and I would like to add some wall plugs as well.  There isn't anyone in town that does conversion work, so I have an appointment to take it to the local RV place to have it done next week. 

I stayed in a friend's trailer that was set up with three plugs (ran microwave, mini fridge, cell phone charger, printer) and the a/c, all on a "regular" plug.  Getting to stay in my trailer is going to be totally new to me, but I'm very excited to be able to camp in it, even if it is going to be very primitive!

The RV place has told me over the phone that to run anything in addition to the a/c, I'm going to have to have a 30 amp plug and I don't want to do this.  I'd rather keep it on a "regular" household type plug to run the outlets and the a/c.

Any advice or thoughts?  What else do I need to know?  I don't let Mr. Bensmom do electricity anymore as he seems to always blow something up, so I will have to hire it done. :)

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
diamond_j
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-03-07 10:02 AM (#38373 - in reply to #38371)
Subject: RE: Household current plugs for dressing room

Regular

I hope I'm not showing ignorance here (Jeff handles all things electric - I can barely flip a breaker)

Do they mean a 30 amp plug on the outside? Like to plug into an electric hookup? I think most plugs inside will be 110v.

I'm sure someone with more electric knowledge will come along and help us out! 9
Bensmom
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-07 10:11 AM (#38374 - in reply to #38373)

Yup, on the outside.  Many of the places that I'll go won't have anything other than "regular" 110v plugs to plug into, so if there is something that I should know or a way that I can explain to them that I *really* want them to set it up that way.

I know that in the one I stayed in last week, all that stuff could run on a 110v cord without blowing any breakers, so there has to be a way to do this!

Thanks!

Libby

jeffghs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-07 11:12 AM (#38378 - in reply to #38371)

Veteran

I would go for the 30amp plug to a breaker box, there you can split off a circuit for outlets inside, and have a separate breaker for the a/c. Even though it sounds redundant, I would also put a GFCI in the circuit for the plugs. You can get an adapter for a 30amp to 15 amp standard plug for when you are at places that don't have the 30a plug-in. You would be surprised at the amps that are pulled through the system by just the a/c alone, then when you add a refrigerator, coffee pot, microwave, hair dryer, etc. You will be pulling a lot of power and can easily fry some wiring to your trailer, receptacle, or elsewhere. I went through a couple of outlets and extension cords when I first started hooking mine up, luckily no major damage was done.
Bensmom
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-07 2:06 PM (#38388 - in reply to #38371)

Thanks so much for your help!

I know I am a real idiot when it comes to this stuff, so I apologize in advance for stupid questions!  But, I understand about a breaker box and can see why that would really help, but will the 30 to 15 amp adaptor make it to where I can plug it in to a "normal" outlet?  And, if so, why will that work and not fry things?  Is it because then a fuse will trip at the breaker box before it fries stuff?

I feel so utterly clueless when I've wandered into something I know nothing about!  I've had two people tell me that the 110v plug will be fine as long as the cord running from the tack room is heavy duty enough, but I want to make sure and do the right thing, rather than blowing stuff up.

Thanks!

jeffghs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-03-07 2:30 PM (#38390 - in reply to #38371)

Veteran

The 30 amp to 15 amp adapter will let you plug in a big 30amp cord into a standard 15 or 20 amp outlet. Again, just make sure the circuit you plug into is wired to handle it. Most campgrounds should be fine, but if it is at home or at the barn, that is where you want to pay specific attention. The RV store should have the adapters for less than $5.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-07 2:39 PM (#38392 - in reply to #38371)

Expert

Hi... Welcome to the forum.

All your stuff operates on 120 Volts.  That's the voltage an ordinary plug provides.  Think of voltage like water pressure.  Then you also need gallons.   That's Amps.  The issue is the ordinary plug can only handle 15 or 20 amps max at 120 volts.  The a/c unit will need most of that 15 or 16 amps.  So one ordinary plug will only run the a/c unit.  To stay with ordinary plugs, you'll need another cord & plug for the other appliances. (that's what I did)  I have two circuits in my trailer, fed from separate cords.  The camp sites I stay at have multiple circuits available. 

Ask your installer to provide two circuits with two inlets.  They should tie only the grounds together.  The neutrals should be isolated. 

Mr. Truck.com has an excellent article (I'm a little biased) on horse trailer wiring and GFCI's 

link here >>>  http://www.mrtruck.net/

BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-07 5:07 PM (#38397 - in reply to #38371)

Extreme Veteran

Mr. Truck.com has an excellent article (I'm a little biased) on horse trailer wiring and GFCI's 

Where is it on his website?

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-07 5:22 PM (#38399 - in reply to #38397)

Expert

Originally written by BigT on 2006-03-07 4:07 PM

Where is it on his website?

Under the heading of "Horse trailer and RV Reviews"

j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-07 5:30 PM (#38400 - in reply to #38371)
Subject: RE: Bison Trailer

Veteran

Many times you won't be able to run your AC on campground circuits unless they are 30 amp. You can use a 30 amp to 20 amp converter, but the real deal is how much "juice " the campground supplies. Our LQ is wired 30amp with regular household receptacles inside that I can plug things into. But, the main cord coming out of the camper is 30 amp. If there is only a regular outlet supplied at the campground you can buy a coverter, they even have them at Walmart in the RV dept.

j&j

Bensmom
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-20 3:08 PM (#39134 - in reply to #38371)

Thank you guys so much for the help!  I ended up with a 30 amp plug, a breaker box with a sep. circuit for the a/c and three outlets, with the one closest to the box being a GFI outlet.

I ran it all weekend on a converter and was fine -- it is nice though, to know that at a place with "real" hookups that I'll be able to plug right in and not overstress it.

Unfortunately, the put the plugs in all the wrong places <sigh> but at least it got done!

Now to keep adding stuff!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)