'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ suggestions?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-28 8:41 AM
10 replies, 4091 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

The Mayor
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-26 9:55 PM (#28591)
Subject: LQ suggestions?

I am seeking input concerning living quarters. I am interested in any ideas, concerns, suggestions, likes, dislikes etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated - no issue too small! Thanks for your help.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2005-07-26 11:28 PM (#28593 - in reply to #28591)
Subject: RE: LQ suggestions?

Extreme Veteran

My #1 pet peeve: WASTED SPACE!
Make every inch count.

My sig has a link - if you see any ideas you like - steal away!!

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-27 7:30 AM (#28597 - in reply to #28591)

Expert

First let me say that I LOVE my LQ!!!!!   For the important things to have:  lots of storage space, good insulation, a refrigerator large enough to hold enough food for your trip, microwave (or even better- micro/convection), small cook top, large enough sinks and shower, sliders are great if you buy a really well made trailer, TV shelves are better than TV cabinets which limit the TV size, large holding tanks, don't make the LQ too long so it is unmanageable for your truck and difficult to maneuver, large propane tanks are best, and a generator and 3' mid tack are  great bonuses.  I'm sure others will add to this list.

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-27 8:43 AM (#28598 - in reply to #28591)

Extreme Veteran

Love my 6' short wall living quarter but..... I wish I had a wardrobe closet. I show so most of my show clothes get hung in the shower.

An awning is something I am considering for next year. Super nice for those places that have no shade.

A 3 way fridge/bigger fridge would be nicer, have 2way now, electric and propane. While I can run the fridge on propane for traveling, battery would be nicer. For now I just put a few frozen bottled waters and that works fine until I can hook up to electric.

I have a walk-thru door from the LQ to the horse area and love that feature. My first stall is my so-called midtack.

Since it is usually just me and sometimes my younger daughter that use the trailer, the space is perfect so I wouldn't change anything.

Good luck!! Trailer shopping is a blast!

pegasus
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2005-07-27 10:09 AM (#28602 - in reply to #28591)

Regular

I second most of what has been mentioned and would like to add a few for your consideration. The first is escape windows in the gooseneck. My Star Lite came with them, I never thought of them before. They are large and have an easy to flip handle that pops the whole window out of the way so you can get out QUICKLY! They also have crank out parts to let lots of air in but no rain, also nice.
I really love my Star Lite trailer...so many added features. Mine has only a 7' short wall but the conversion company (I'll post that when I get home and can look it up, they are in Michigan) did such a good job of using all space well. The love seat is so nice to have a place to be other than on the little step up into the gooseneck or just in the bed itself. And there is a tension rod above it where lots of clothes can hang. There is another tension rod in the bath area above the toilet where more clothes can hang (you can never have enought of this stuff!) There is a large flip up counter portion that adds room too. A full length mirror by the door is handy,too. A large stainless sink is more useful than those little round ones, it's big enought to get dishes in to wash.
ONe thing I may change is to put a window in over the love seat for ventilation across from the door, which has a camper door with full screen. Something I did change outside was to put on the metal heavy-duty door holders, a necessity in our Kansas wind!
Now if I can just master lighting the water heater before cool weather, I'll be happy!

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-27 11:02 AM (#28603 - in reply to #28591)

Expert

Thought of another thing.  Put a pocket door in from the living area to the bathroom and have them put a mirror on the pocket door.  It makes the space more usable.
Summit2
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-27 12:07 PM (#28607 - in reply to #28591)

Counter space!  We have a 4H, mid tack, 14' LQ which has a fairly long counter with cooktop and sink, also a dinnette table (which makes into a bed), I find even with the long countertop the table gives me that much extra space.  Closet/storage space ... as much as you can get.  We have a large closet in the bathroom for hanging riding clothes etc., I've also bought stacked sliding storage containers which fit in the bottom of the closet and are great for storing towels, socks etc., plus one for the "dirty" laundry.  Awning, great to keep the hot sun off and if it should rain you can still sit outside and stay dry. 
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-27 6:50 PM (#28621 - in reply to #28591)

Expert

its hard to say- it all depends on your needs. I have a small LQ but thats fine since I show alone- I don't haul kids or husband. I don't plan on cooking ( are you nuts?) so a small microwave suits me. I go to show grounds with eletric, don't need 3 -way anything. If i were camping, then that would be different. So figure out what you're going to do, what your needs will be, then go from there.....
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-27 7:12 PM (#28622 - in reply to #28591)

Extreme Veteran

That's right Farmbabe, when we go to the shows we eat out, we are on vacation at these shows!!! LOL

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-28 7:12 AM (#28639 - in reply to #28622)

Expert

I usually eat out at shows too but I love the cook top for mornings when I am just craving a good egg sandwich or french toast (days when I don't have to show really early and can chill a bit!) or I can cook up some pasta fast on nights when I am just too tired to go out.  I hate to say it but I HATE frozen dinners!!!!!!!

Edited by hav2ride 2005-07-28 3:30 PM
Snickers
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-28 8:41 AM (#28642 - in reply to #28591)

Veteran

Many good ideas already mentioned. Large holding tanks are great 80 -100 gals fresh water is really nice if you are planning on camping several days and no other water supply available. Prefer an escape hatch in the roof over escape windows. Mid tack is great and if you do get one put in a roof vent as they let in light and will allow air flow to speed up drying and remove odors. In the bath area another roof vent with an exhaust fan.  Really depends on how you will use the rig. No matter what you wind up with it with it will be too small and you will find things that you would have done differently. It will be fun deciding.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)