'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Furring Strips

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-26 1:54 PM
2 replies, 3848 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ropin1
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-25 10:32 PM (#28569)
Subject: Furring Strips

New User

I have a 99 Sooner Ranch Combo with a dressing room. I think it is about a 2 foot short wall. I am planning on insulating with 1inch insulation. As far as paneling goes, what are my inexpensive options? I was thinking FRP panels, or the oak panel sheets (think older mobile home). Can I just wallpaper over the insulation? I am having an oak boot box and a V-corner cabinet made. Do I really need the furring strips for 1 standing cabinet?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2005-07-26 1:32 PM (#28579 - in reply to #28569)
Subject: RE: Furring Strips

Extreme Veteran

I would definately have to say yes to the strips. As far as getting off cheap, you can try and use 1/4 plywood attached to your strips and wall paper over that. In our first trailer I did this to, I used the press board paneling (cedar is what it was called) http://community.webshots.com/album/143873720euYOrx and it looked pretty good, but for this trailer I wanted something better so I used the tongue and groove knotty pine paneling
Hope this helps

Safe Riding,
Todd

Edited by maccwall 2005-07-26 1:37 PM
packerpete
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2005-07-26 1:54 PM (#28581 - in reply to #28579)
Subject: RE: Furring Strips

Veteran

I used the FRP panels and I like this stuff quite a bit because it is sooo easy to keep clean. FRP is not the least expensive option though...it MUST be glued onto something to give it some rigidity. I used 1/4 inch plywood, but I would probably would use 3/8 if I did it again. If you add the cost of even cheap plywood to the price of FRP (I paid nearly $30 / sheet in 2004), you will see that cost is not the main reason to use this material. Besides the low maintenance, I found it easy to work with around bends and curves, and looks pretty good too.

I would also say that furring strips are essential to prevent condensation from forming on any fasteners that you would use to attach the plywood to the metal trailer frame directly. There have been other posts about this topic in the past, but basically any screw heads that have contact with the moist air inside the dressing room should not attach to the cold metal trailer frame or else... condensation will "rain" down This is a main reason to use the furring strips: to bury these panel holding screws into, thereby insulating the screws from the the temperature differences in colder weather.

Edited by packerpete 2005-07-26 2:06 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)