'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Valley or Calico stock trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-27 8:53 AM
3 replies, 8743 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

merlinh
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-22 10:08 PM (#28471)
Subject: Valley or Calico stock trailer?

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a horse trailer.  I've called quite a few dealers in Michigan and found two trailers that were in my price range (under $5000) and within my weight limit (2500 lbs.) and that have a dressing room.  Both of them are 2005's, seems like no one has used trailers, they are sold as soon as they come in.

One is a Valley 2-horse straight load. The other is a Calico 2-horse slant.  I have heard some negative things about the Calico on this forum but it mostly seemed cosmetic like paint peeling off.  Both are stock trailers. 

I have a horse that kicks terribly, to the point of denting someones Titan Avalanche, which is why I am buying a trailer.  I would probably prefer slant because the horse kicks less in a slant.  He also hauls better when he can see out of the window (I think he gets claustrophobic) which is why I am going with the stock trailer and because its cheaper.  Would these two trailers be safe for a horse that kicks badly and what likes and dislikes do people have about them.

Thanks in advance.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tazassape
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-07-23 6:27 AM (#28476 - in reply to #28471)
Subject: RE: Valley or Calico stock trailer?

The calico is solidly built but the paint !!?})(&^. Never saw a Valley.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-25 5:15 PM (#28549 - in reply to #28476)

Expert

Both of these brand trailers are good "starter" trailers - but you will experience trouble with the paint and rusting and possibly with the floors as well. I know a few folks who have Valleys and they like them. First thing they did was get them undercoated and waxed. Check to see what kind of warranty/guarentee there is on rust/finish.

I believe the Valley has flooring planks that run lengthwise - which is better as they are more easily replaced than if the flooring runs side-to-side. The last Calico I saw had flooring that ran sideways and it was rotting out at the back corner. Much too hard to repair.  

Also - with the Valley, you should be able to either swing the divider over to one side and clip it there (make sure you have a butt chain or bar when you do this) and the horse can ride at a slant.  With the Calico, you could also remove a divider - again, make sure you have a butt bar/ chain between the horse and the rear doors.

Something with either one - if they are "stock-like" be sure to get HORSE size height... 7' not 6'6"... And since the weather can enter through the slats, keep it covered or get the plexiglass inserts. (do not tarp the trailer, the tarp will rub the finish unless it's a tarp MADE for cars/RVs

You can always add sheets of plywood to the interior walls and rear doors where the horse kicks to any trailer that you buy. Get exterior 3/4" and hang from the slats, or fasten securely (ask the trailer salesperson what the best way is.)

crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-07-27 8:53 AM (#28599 - in reply to #28471)

Expert

Both of these trailers are made here in Arkansas,not far from me.They are good steel trailers,and 2-3 horse stock trailers(used,in good shape) are at a premium here.I've always been able to sell any of my stock steel trailers very quickly.I haven't seen a Calico trailer personally,but I have seen Big Valley,also Delta is made here too.Both are nice trailers,pretty solidly built.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)