'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Bulldog Gooseneck coupler pin requires crowbar to lift

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-07-09 12:36 PM
7 replies, 5508 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mvoght
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2014-07-07 8:36 PM (#159769)
Subject: Bulldog Gooseneck coupler pin requires crowbar to lift

I have a beautiful new trailer, and it has a Bulldog GN Coupler, it is essentially the same as the last one, but has a new pin. Anyway, on my second trip (the trailer's 4th...delivery from factory to dealer, dealer to me, short haul on Friday, unhooked, rehooked and haul on Sunday) there was a loud, metallic bang, from the GN coupler as I made my first right turn. Nothing was loose, everything hauled fine, but when I got home, I couldn't lift the pin.I got my hubby to help, he had to get a crowbar and a couple of blocks of wood. We greased things we'd never greased on the old trailer, couldn't find anything that looked crooked or amiss, but the pin is largely under a welded on portion. I'd need a sledgehammer to push the pin back down into the locking hole.The dealer is fantastic and having the factory ship me a new coupler (he is 3 hours away so this is best for all), which I'll install and ship back the old coupler, but what could be wrong?I've been hauling a GN trailer for over 15 years, admittedly, always my 1996 Sooner. The hitch on the new one is essentially the same, but seemingly heavier duty.The coupler attaches fine to the truck, the ball and coupler are correct, matching ball size (2 5/16" I think...they match), the coupler actually locks fine...so long as you don't mind using a crowbar to release and a sledgehammer to lock.The only thing I noticed is there is a 1/4" gouge in the bottom of the coupler, could it have gotten dropped and damaged? I actually like that added pin, although I read a thread where I need to make sure it is not weight bearing, and the dealer was here when we adjusted it for my truck and we tightened the bolts, and that was not the issue.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
mvoght
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2014-07-07 8:38 PM (#159770 - in reply to #159769)
Subject: RE: Bulldog Gooseneck coupler pin requires crowbar to lift

I'm not sure what happened to the carriage returns...sorry for the large paragraph. It won't let me edit now.
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-07-07 9:12 PM (#159771 - in reply to #159769)

Extreme Veteran

I have seen chains get stuck under the sliding plate causing it to jam when turning and maybe that's what bent the pin....I use a rubber bungee cord to lift the excess chain off the truck bed to avoid jamming the coupler.
mvoght
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2014-07-07 10:43 PM (#159775 - in reply to #159769)

I suppose that is possible, but the pin is not visibly bent anywhere that you can see. If it is bent, it is inside the cover that is welded onto th coupler. The part that drops into the locking hole is not bent. I will follow up after I return this one to see if they find anything. I will also look into how much chain is there. It won't be getting hooked up again until that is replaced.Thanks.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2014-07-08 3:59 PM (#159783 - in reply to #159769)

Expert

Pictures would help...especially a shot straight up from below the GN assembly with the pin engaged and not engaged
mvoght
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2014-07-08 10:45 PM (#159791 - in reply to #159769)

Upon further review, in daylight, truck moved, I think beeoerdog might be onto something. The pin might be bent, but because of the angle, it is hard to tell.Since I'm about to head out on vacation, there isn't time for pictures, and with any luck, the replacement coupler will be here to swap out when I get back.We'll see what they say when they get it back at the factory, but I am definitely going to be paying much closer attention to where those giant safety chain hooks are next time I hook up and leave...and I'll have to figure out a quick and effective bungee method to keep the excess out of that space if that is what it was. Thanks for the help because if that was the cause, I certainly don't want to do it again!
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2014-07-09 8:39 AM (#159798 - in reply to #159769)

Elite Veteran

For what it is worth, we see this often. If a coupler is by chance closed, and someone sets it on a ball, it gets bent. We've always been able to straighten them by lifting pin slightly so it is only in the top part of the sliding plate, then "persuade" the coupler slide gently with a hammer. They'll straighten quite easily.

And yes, a chain trying to lift it off of the ball could cause the same bent issue.
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2014-07-09 12:36 PM (#159808 - in reply to #159769)

Expert

We bought a brand new Platinum from a dealer no longer in business.When we got it home (hauled it quiet a distance),we couldn't get it unlatched without hammering the coupler slide open.we had to take it to a repairman with it just setting on the ball,because it wouldn't close.it was bent before we got it,probably on the lot.They used a tractor with a "boom" to move the trailers around on that lot,and,the trailer repairman said often times,they will get bent or jammed in that way.That could have happened before you bought the trailer,because it did with us.Just sayin.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)