'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hauling 1 horse in a stock trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-11-15 4:16 PM
4 replies, 4445 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

footballqtpie
Reg. Nov 2013
Posted 2013-11-15 1:04 PM (#155815)
Subject: Hauling 1 horse in a stock trailer

New User

Hey y'all,I have a 16' Cornpro BP trailer that I pull with an F-250. I want to convert the front stall into a dressing area for overnight stays at shows. Is it bad to haul your horse in the back half of the trailer? Will it pull it off the ball.? I currently only put her in the front. I thought about putting a 2000# bag of sand in the back and haul it around to see what happens before I risk putting my girl in it. Thanks for your input
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2013-11-15 1:58 PM (#155816 - in reply to #155815)
Subject: RE: Hauling 1 horse in a stock trailer

Elite Veteran

There needs to be enough weight in the front to counter balance the trailer.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-11-15 2:50 PM (#155817 - in reply to #155815)

Expert

We pulled an 18' Cornpro 3H BP stock/horse combo for over a decade. It had a ~5' dressing room ahead of a moveable forward bulkhead.

With three horse stalls, we would trailer a single horse in the center stall, two horse haulings were split between the front and rear stalls. At no time could we haul a single horse in the rear stall, without unloading the hitch. We hauled this way while using two trucks and a SUV, and by load shifting according to the number of horses, we successfully kept the hitch weights at a minimum, whilst maintaining proper pulling characteristics.

If you were to add enough weight to the front stall, (I assume you have a three stall trailer), you would be able to haul a horse in the rear most stall. There is a way to determine the amount of weight you would need in the front. Measure the tongue weight of the empty trailer on the hitch. Load a horse in the rear stall and again measure the tongue weight. The difference will be what you have to add to the front to maintain a towable trailer. If you have a supply of sand or feed bags, you can add them until you again have the original tongue weight

One thing about our Cornpro. With our trailer, the tongue would not touch the ground if the front jack was retracted when it was unhitched. At this point there was a zero tongue weight as the trailer was basically balanced on both axles. When the tongue was lifted enough to engage the hitch ball, the weight rapidly increased to ~ 650 lbs as the height increased. With this weight and height, the trailer would tow perfectly when empty. With a single horse in the center stall, which was slightly ahead of the center line of the two axles, the hitch weight would increase ~100- 150 lbs. Again the towing characteristics were very competent.

Quite a bit of this discovery can be made whilst the trailer and truck are stationary. Once you have established a necessary weight addition, you should end up towing a stable trailer with a horse in the rear stall..

Arieldouglas
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-11-15 3:00 PM (#155818 - in reply to #155815)

Veteran

The axle location is what you will want to look at. Most stock trailers have the axles pretty far to the rear and I'm pretty sure this is true of the Cornpro you are talking about. Even without putting anything in the front, it should be safe to pull it with your horse in the rear half. You will be moving a portion of the weight from the ball to the trailer axles. It would be highly unlikely to pull off the ball unless the ball or coupler are really worn and just the right road conditions were encountered. The condition you DO want to avoid is balancing the trailer to well front to rear. A trailer balanced on the axles will be unstable to pull. That being said, depending on the level of build-out you plan for the dressing room, you will be adding several pounds of weight to the front of the trailer. This weight will act as a counterbalance to the weight of your horse in the rear. I really don't see a problem with it as long as you don't overload it structurally. This is a trailer that should be capable of hauling six average horses so that shouldn't be a problem either.
footballqtpie
Reg. Nov 2013
Posted 2013-11-15 4:16 PM (#155819 - in reply to #155815)

New User

Thanks for the response. It's actually a two stall trailer. I'm hoping to put enough weight in the front to counter balance but not sure if it will add up to 1000#. Maybe easier to just buy a trailer with what I need :)44
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)