'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer electrical plug disconnecting brakes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-08-21 7:59 PM
8 replies, 5695 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

classact2575
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2013-08-07 9:56 AM (#153883)
Subject: Trailer electrical plug disconnecting brakes

I couldn't think of a better way to describe the issue in the subject line, so bear with me. :)

I have a 2009 Kingston 2 horse BP that I tow with my 2007 Tundra. Every so often, I'll be driving along and suddenly my brake controller shows my trailer brakes are no longer connected. (Cue ) The fix is simple: pull over, unplug the connector, plug it back in, and it works. (FWIW, I make sure the little lip on the vehicle connector cover is "holding" the 7-way plug.)

I think the issue is specific to the trailer, because it happened a few times when I used to haul with my '99 Suburban. However, it's extremely troubling because it happens at random. This past time really scared me as I had to stop short for a light, and immediately noticed that the trailer brakes weren't working. My truck is big enough to stop the trailer on its own, but it still gave me a scare nonetheless.

I recently had it in for service and they couldn't find anything wrong with the trailer wiring. Is there something I can do to test the trailer connector? If that's not the issue, then is there something I can do to make sure the plug is *very* securely connected?

Thanks all-
-KC

Edited by classact2575 2013-08-07 9:59 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2013-08-07 11:34 AM (#153884 - in reply to #153883)
Subject: RE: Trailer electrical plug disconnecting brakes

Expert

If you've checked the plug... You likely have a broken wire on your trailer.  Because it's intermittent, it'll be hard to find unless you're lucky.

Have a patient mechanic look for the problem. Or just run new wires to the brakes.

PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2013-08-07 5:33 PM (#153889 - in reply to #153883)

Veteran

Specifically check your ground wire. If the ground goes away for even a split second you will get that error. Had that problem on my grain trailer, found out the ground wire had corroded where connected to the frame on the trailer and it was using the hitch ball as the ground. Whenever the trailer bounced off the ball in the hitch, the alarm tripped.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-08-07 10:27 PM (#153892 - in reply to #153883)

Expert

Since your trailer wiring has been checked, I would carefully inspect the truck's plug and the wire terminal at the 5 O'clock position. If any of the contacts are bent or corroded, it may cause an intermittent open circuit. Spray some contact cleaner into the plug and run the trailer's plug in and out many times. Add some dielectric grease to the pins and repeat the insertions.

If this doesn't fix the problem, as was previously stated, the trailer's brake wire may have broken inside the insulation, again causing an intermittent operation. Many times the areas that may be at fault is where the lead wire first goes into the trailer and usually is fastened to a terminal block. The second is area just behind the plug; the third is the wiring going from the chasses to the backing plate.

Using a battery charger to supply power, the brakes can be set. Wiggling the wire in various places will cause the break to open and you will hear the brakes release. Once the problem area is found, a new wire can then be installed.

Snickers
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2013-08-12 4:04 AM (#153955 - in reply to #153883)

Veteran

Gard, unable to find any contact cleaner. Any thoughts.

Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-12 8:16 AM (#153957 - in reply to #153883)

Veteran

If the problem is intermittent, which it sounds like I would run new wire and establish a new ground. While this may take a bit of time, this may save you frustration in the future. Electrical parts cleaner can be found at most auto parts stores, perhaps Radio Shack or a similar store in your area.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-08-12 8:25 AM (#153958 - in reply to #153883)

Expert

Try Radio Shack, some auto stores (Auto zone for one), Lowe's and Walmart both advertise having the product. Most electrical supply stores have it in stock. It is readily available on the Internet. If you still can't find it, try some spray brake cleaner. Wear gloves and spray the brake cleaner outside.

You are looking for "electrical contact cleaner"

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-08-12 10:50 PM (#153977 - in reply to #153883)

Expert

Originally written by classact2575 on 2013-08-07 9:56 AM

I couldn't think of a better way to describe the issue in the subject line, so bear with me. :)

I have a 2009 Kingston 2 horse BP that I tow with my 2007 Tundra. Every so often, I'll be driving along and suddenly my brake controller shows my trailer brakes are no longer connected. (Cue ) The fix is simple: pull over, unplug the connector, plug it back in, and it works. (FWIW, I make sure the little lip on the vehicle connector cover is "holding" the 7-way plug.)

I think the issue is specific to the trailer, because it happened a few times when I used to haul with my '99 Suburban. However, it's extremely troubling because it happens at random. This past time really scared me as I had to stop short for a light, and immediately noticed that the trailer brakes weren't working. My truck is big enough to stop the trailer on its own, but it still gave me a scare nonetheless.

I recently had it in for service and they couldn't find anything wrong with the trailer wiring. Is there something I can do to test the trailer connector? If that's not the issue, then is there something I can do to make sure the plug is *very* securely connected?

Thanks all-
-KC

How exactly did they test the trailer wiring?
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2013-08-21 7:59 PM (#154185 - in reply to #153883)

Extreme Veteran

I had a similar problem with my trailer plugs. Sometimes no issues when pulling sometimes issues. Seemed worse with one trailer over the other. My truck signals me when it disconnects so at leasst I know it has happened. We replaced both plugs with the Easy Connector. Love it. My hubby gave it to me for my Birthday and we finally got them installed. I'm hoping it is also solving a braking problem I had been having with my LQ trailer as well. I took it for a spin after installing the Easy Connector and it was definitely smoother in the braking department.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)