'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ cabinet question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-05-14 12:56 AM
10 replies, 6986 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2013-05-12 5:22 PM (#151935)
Subject: LQ cabinet question

Elite Veteran

Ok all you LQ owners out there.....

I am looking at purchasing a used LQ ( will be my first LQ)

I am wondering (since I don't have a lot of money to spend)......those of you that have the "NOT real wood" cabinets, how are they holding up? I horse-camp in the summer months and will be using the trailer for regular trips to the local parks for day riding as well.
I am currently looking at all aluminum trailers only but the Exiss, sundowner brands are local here. And in my price range. So, for you guys that have these brands of trailers with the "particle board" cabinets.....how have they held up for you?

Thanks all. I wish I could afford a used quality brand trailer like 4 star and platinum and so on that have the real wood interior -but I can't.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-05-12 6:41 PM (#151937 - in reply to #151935)
Subject: RE: LQ cabinet question

Veteran

Lakota is in the Sundowner and Exiss price range and they have real wood cabinets. Our does. It does a little weight to the trailer but I like having real wood. All will have some areas with the thinner wood though.
dkhunter04
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2013-05-12 7:13 PM (#151940 - in reply to #151935)

Regular

Our 2008 Elite trailer has solid wood doors and drawer faces but vinyl wrapped cabinets.  So far everything is working and holding together just fine.  Having all wood adds expense and weight, but does look richer.  I'd put my money towards getting your preferred trailer features (i.e. all aluminum) before I'd worry about the conversion company, if money is an issue.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-05-12 10:24 PM (#151943 - in reply to #151935)

Expert

MDF cabinets can be easily damaged where screw fasteners are used and the wrap will show scars if they are damaged. In addition, the MDF weighs more than a solid wood replacement. If these cabinets are taken care of and not abused, they can serve for many years whilst maintaining their looks. If abused, they can be damaged in weeks. Loose fasteners can be secured by removing the screws, inserting some glue and reinstalling the screws. Scarred surfaces can be coloured with wood coloring sticks to lessen the visual damage.

Most conversion companies offer several choices in interiors, from modest to the ultimate in bling. The brand of the trailer usually will not dictate the value or quality of the interior, unless the interiors are built and installed by the same manufacturer. There are many after market conversion companies, that will install an interior in most any brand of trailer, built to your specifications and budget.

If money is tight, consider a used trailer. If the interior is in good shape, it's an indication that is was well built and well taken care of.

Incidentally, I own an Exiss, and its Sierra interior has solid wood cabinets, consisting of the doors, face frames and boxes. The shelves are covered MDF which is common in many cabinet constructions.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2013-05-13 12:07 AM (#151945 - in reply to #151935)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Gard for the heads up about Sierra interiors. I will be sure to look for them in the Exiss line then. Here in Nothern Ca. There are no conversion companies and if there are....they would be over 8 or more hours away. So yes, I am looking at purchasing  used. Would like to get a 2-horse that has a dinette and 6' cubic fridge. Shower separate from the toilet for sure. And must have a walk-thru door to the first stall. It is so hard to find a LQ that does not have the mangers built in. I do not like permanent built in mangers. I know so many people that end up having their horses jumping into the mangers and getting stuck. I had a mare that did this years ago and don't want mangers ever again. Almost lost the mare before I had her paid for.   : (
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2013-05-13 5:37 AM (#151946 - in reply to #151935)

Veteran

Jackbrat,
I understand about the manger issue. We had our trailer built so we could have the 8ft wide without the mangers. So many people like the mangers for the storage. The main reason we didn't want them was that the horses can't lower their heads down enough to clear their throats on longer trips. So if you don't want mangers you can go with the 7ft wide (6ft 9 in). Usually they don't have managers, or you can order one. You will have a difficult time finding an 8ft wide without them.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2013-05-13 8:12 AM (#151948 - in reply to #151935)

Extreme Veteran

When I was trailer shopping I discovered I had to have at least a 10ft short wall to get the 6.0 fridge, and they were pretty much all at least a 3 horse which is what I wanted. It is much harder to find a bigger LQ in a smaller horse number trailer. There probably are some out there that are not built in the standard that I just stated. I agree usually the conversion dictates the quality of the interior, or whether its the "entry level" LQ for that brand. I would buy a better built used trailer before I would buy a new cheaper built trailer.
JMO
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-05-13 11:18 AM (#151954 - in reply to #151935)

Expert

You might want to consider the purchase of a 3H GN with LQ, instead of the 2H GN. The two trailers, a 3H and 2H GN with the same length lQ, will weigh within ~300# of each other, and the 3H will be about 3 ft longer. The advantage is the availability of the 3H and its resale values being more than the 2H. There isn't a lot of monitory differences between the two. If an additional 3' of box length is acceptable, you might want to reconsider.

The distinct advantage is using the extra front stall for storage. The additional trailer weight is nominal, being distributed between the truck and the trailer axles. In most cases, the axle weights and tire size upgrades, will allow you to purchase the more common 16" tires and use the LT variants, instead of the ST tires commonly found on  the 15" wheels of the 2H trailers.

As was previous mentioned, 3 CF fridges are often found in LQ's of 8' and smaller, the 6 CF in 10's and up. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but quite common when interior space is at a premium.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2013-05-13 4:56 PM (#151964 - in reply to #151935)

Elite Veteran

I was thinking the 2-horse  because I am all alone. When I go camping with the girls...they all take their own rigs.

I could get a 3 horse like you said...most likely easier to find too. I will just keep my 2-horse GN then for day trips. (Hope the boarding place will let me have two trailers) Also, my truck is only a 2002 extended cab,, 3/4 ton short box duramax diesel with 4x4. I am under-trucked for a LQ with a 3 horse. Upgrading the truck is not an option. (again money)

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-05-13 10:14 PM (#151968 - in reply to #151964)

Expert

Also, my truck is only a 2002 extended cab,, 3/4 ton short box duramax diesel with 4x4. I am under-trucked for a LQ with a 3 horse. Upgrading the truck is not an option. (again money)

Your truck can pull an aluminum 7' wide, 3H GN with an 8' or even a 10' basic LQ, particularly if you frequently only carry a single horse. Look for a trailer that has its axles more forward, located under the center of the three stalls; not one with the axles mounted under the rear stall of the trailer.

You have the power, the limiting factor would be the pin weight of the trailer and your rear axle capacity. With Fords, the 3/4 ton SD 4X4's use one ton components. I don't know if GM does the same. Your owners manual should provide the necessary specifications.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2013-05-14 12:56 AM (#151972 - in reply to #151968)

Elite Veteran

Ok thanks Gard. I will look into that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'