'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sundowner Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-11-19 8:33 PM
9 replies, 9609 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lilracerJenna
Reg. Oct 2012
Posted 2012-10-30 11:58 AM (#148011)
Subject: Sundowner Trailers

New User

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if I could get some opinions on Sundowner trailers. Are they made well? Do they hold up? etc. Any opinions would be really appreciated :)

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Toranoda
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2012-10-30 4:24 PM (#148018 - in reply to #148011)
Subject: RE: Sundowner Trailers

I have a 97 sundowner 2 horse slant that I got when it was new, have had not problems other than putting new tires & regular maintaince.  I did a lot of looking before I brought & the Sundowner was the best for the price.  I still have it & use it often so I guess I can say I love my Sundowner!
lilracerJenna
Reg. Oct 2012
Posted 2012-10-30 5:09 PM (#148020 - in reply to #148018)

New User

Toranoda - is your trailer all aluminum or is it a steel frame with aluminum skin?
Toranoda
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2012-10-31 6:44 AM (#148041 - in reply to #148011)

it's galvanized steel frame, I think that's what it is call.  It's easy to pull not heavy.  Very little to no rust any where on it.  Floor has held up great & is still the orginal flooring.  I check it twice during the year & stomp on it every time I use it just to be sure.  I fixed up the dressing area into little living quarter since I'm only one that rides. I love my trailer.
whitewood
Reg. Jun 2009
Posted 2012-10-31 10:10 AM (#148048 - in reply to #148011)

Veteran

an easy way to tell if it is aluminum or steel frame is, the large piece of aluminum that is under the nose that connects if to the main frame, is riveted on steel frames and welded on aluminum frames. you can usually see this in the pictures. On steel frame, only a coating that traps water was used. The aluminum frames built 07 and before were good as any trailer built.  

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2012-10-31 12:21 PM (#148053 - in reply to #148048)

Expert

Originally written by whitewood on 2012-10-31 10:10 AM

an easy way to tell if it is aluminum or steel frame is, the large piece of aluminum that is under the nose that connects if to the main frame, is riveted on steel frames and welded on aluminum frames. you can usually see this in the pictures. On steel frame, only a coating that traps water was used. The aluminum frames built 07 and before were good as any trailer built.  

Magnet works well if in doubt....

And all Sundowner trailers built after January 2008 are all aluminum.

3ponies
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2012-10-31 4:25 PM (#148059 - in reply to #148011)

Hi,  I have a 2002 Valuelite, 10 yrs old, steel frame/alum skin. It is a great trailer for me. Had it for 6 years and no problems as of yet.  With that being said, Sundowner did repair my under coating on the frame some years back.  I do keep an eye on that and have it professional checked.  Really love the trailer, it is easy to pull, and well constructed.   I don't want to hijack your post but it would be nice to know if there is cause to worry about the frame if it was sandblasted and repainted?  That company was so nice to work with that it made me think if I ever bought another trailer I would look at the Sundowners.    
lilracerJenna
Reg. Oct 2012
Posted 2012-11-01 11:04 AM (#148071 - in reply to #148059)

New User

I'm glad you mentioned that. The roads where I live aren't very nice roads, so I was wondering if down the road I would encounter problems with the bottom rusting out etc, and having to get it sandblasted. thats why I was asking how the sundowners hold up, but I guess basic wear and tear caused from bad roads would damage any trailer. I guess its just a matter of finding what ones have a better built frame to last longer.
The trailer im looking at buying is a Sundowner Stampede series.
conner
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2012-11-02 1:49 PM (#148103 - in reply to #148011)

I had a Sundowner, you know the ones with all the WHITE PAINT. NOT GOOD!! As time went by the paint got dull and faded. Ever polish a trailer?? NOT GOOD!! I decided that if I was going to pull a white trailer then I could save a bundle and get a WW. Actually sold the Sundowner and bought a 4 STAR, all aluminum with the stainless steel package. NO WHITE PAINT and that's a very good thing!! A couple of times a year I run it through the truck wash and I have a brand new trailer. LUV that 4 STAR!!
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2012-11-19 8:33 PM (#148465 - in reply to #148011)

Veteran

Be VERY careful on running a horse trailer through a truck wash. They use an acid wash and there have been reports of horses getting sick from the off gassing of fumes from the acid wash. It is not recommended to use the truck washes for any trailer haling live stock of any kind. Do an internet search on the topic.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)