'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brake box, trailer brakes or electric connection?!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-09 8:35 AM
4 replies, 5140 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Flint
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-08 12:24 PM (#145434)
Subject: Brake box, trailer brakes or electric connection?!

New User

All,

Ever since my truck was rearended several years ago and the factory-installed hitch receiver was replaced, I have had a frustrating electric connection between my trailer and the truck.  Often when I insert the plug into the socket on the hitch receiver, my brake box does not respond.  I was told that the connection can get dirty and that I need to reinsert the plug several times to get to re-establish the connection.  Eventually, the light on the brake box pops on and I have brake lights and signal lights functioning on the trailer but the brakes on the trailer are not working (brake the truck but no light on brake box).  Usually, if I start moving and hit the brakes a few times, the brake box starts to register (reddish-orange light when braking) and I can fee the trailer brakes responding.  The other day, I never had the brakes on the trailer working and could tell that my truck was doing 100% of the braking.  Not good.

I have asked about this issue every time I take the trailer in for inspection and no one seems to have a clue!  Any ideas?

Thankd, Flint

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-07-08 1:36 PM (#145439 - in reply to #145434)
Subject: RE: Brake box, trailer brakes or electric connection?!

Expert

For less tan $20 you can purchase a new receptacle. It takes about twenty minutes to change one out if you mark the wires. Do so and use some dielectric grease on the pins as each of the wires is terminated. Some grease added to the truck/trailer plug connectors, will make the coupling easier and help reduce any future corrosion.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-07-08 3:26 PM (#145441 - in reply to #145434)

Expert

Originally written by Flint on 2012-07-08 12:24 PM

All,

Ever since my truck was rearended several years ago and the factory-installed hitch receiver was replaced, I have had a frustrating electric connection between my trailer and the truck.  Often when I insert the plug into the socket on the hitch receiver, my brake box does not respond.  I was told that the connection can get dirty and that I need to reinsert the plug several times to get to re-establish the connection.  Eventually, the light on the brake box pops on and I have brake lights and signal lights functioning on the trailer but the brakes on the trailer are not working (brake the truck but no light on brake box).  Usually, if I start moving and hit the brakes a few times, the brake box starts to register (reddish-orange light when braking) and I can fee the trailer brakes responding.  The other day, I never had the brakes on the trailer working and could tell that my truck was doing 100% of the braking.  Not good.

I have asked about this issue every time I take the trailer in for inspection and no one seems to have a clue!  Any ideas?

Thankd, Flint

To confirm that the problem is at the truck end...plug your trailer into a friend's truck and confirm that the problem does NOT occur with your friend's truck

Edited by PaulChristenson 2012-07-08 3:27 PM
Flint
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-08 4:18 PM (#145443 - in reply to #145434)

New User

Thank you both for your prompt responses!  Now that I think about it, the problem is with the truck socket and not the trailer.  I always drop my trailer off for inspection so the lights/brakes are tested using some other source of electricity and it always passes.  :-)  Duh!  Guess I'll spend the $20-ish and fix the socket on the hitch receiver.  Thanks again!
SCWalker
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2012-07-09 8:35 AM (#145468 - in reply to #145434)

I have to give a thumbs up to the dielectric grease. I always had problems with one light or another on my trailer not working, added the dielectric grease and it solved all my problems.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)