'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer balance

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-04-22 12:34 PM
1 replies, 2691 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cgc.baldhead
Reg. Apr 2012
Posted 2012-04-22 11:45 AM (#143298)
Subject: trailer balance

If your truck is on a level surface should your trailer tongue be a little higher than the back of your trailer, or level? Mine seems a little higher and wondered if I need to get just a little bit longer hitch or does the weight of horses level up the trailer?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2012-04-22 12:34 PM (#143299 - in reply to #143298)
Subject: RE: trailer balance

Expert

Good question.

Ideally you would like the trailer to sit level. But the ultimate goal is to keep the weight on both axles close to the same.  If the front is elevated higher it can shift weight onto the rear axles.  If you are close to your tire/axle ratings, That shift can overload that axle.

It is not always possible to have everything perfectly blanaced. So I don't worry about small differences. If you have enough truck to tow the trailer. a small imbalance won't be a big deal.  If your tow vehicles doesn't dominate your trailer, being closer to being balanced is probably more important.

Newer model trucks keep getting taller. Manufactures keep putting bigger tires/wheels on the newer trucks. So older trailers seem to be going uphill when hooked up to a newer truck.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)