'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Tires (Another Sequel)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-30 1:44 PM
3 replies, 4097 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Guilherme
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-17 9:31 AM (#142209)
Subject: Trailer Tires (Another Sequel)

First time poster, here.

We have a Featherlight 4H with a "weekender" package.  Empty weight is 7100# (by CAT Scale).  Max gross, per manufacturer's plate, is 15,000#.  We normally run 12-14,000 (2 horses, stuff for a week to 10 days).

We need to replace two tires, and maybe all four.  Right now they're a mixture of Electra and Power King, ST 235/85 R16 Load Range E.  It appears that the max. load is 3042# per tire @80 psi.  It also appears that this is insufficient for the trailer weight.  (My bad for not seeing it when I bought the four new tires three years ago and ditto for the shop that sold them knowing what the weight of the trailer is).

There are a few E range tires with ratings of 3750#, but we're looking at going to the F range which run from that up to 4000#+.  Pressure is 95# (IIRC).

These are pricy tires.  Any recommendations on brand name would be appreciated.  The local shop is recommending National Tires (Chinese made).  I'vd done business with these guys for almost 11 years and they've generally been right.  A web search did not turn up much bad on them (unlike Carlise, which gets a real "razzberry" from about everybody).

I've also been warned that some American brands are, in fact, Chinese manufactured.  I've also been told that Taiwanese made tires are generally better than their Mainland counterparts.

Any help would be appreciated!

G.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Snickers
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2012-03-17 6:05 PM (#142219 - in reply to #142209)
Subject: RE: Trailer Tires (Another Sequel)

Veteran

How much weight does the trailer put on your truck? If the gross weight is 14k  you might have 3k of that on your truck. Will depend on where you put the horses. The E rated tires are probably fine for the trailer. I would not put on any tires made in China on my cars,truck or trailers but thats just me. Have Goodyears on the new trailer but have gotten good service from Firestone Transforce tires.

Guilherme
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-30 12:52 PM (#142653 - in reply to #142209)

After a bunch of research I've decided to replace the Chinese junk with Goodyear Wrangler SR-A tires.

I'll also be changing sizes. The stock tires were 235/85R16, with a load rating of 3042 lb. @ 80 psi. The new tires will be 265/75R16, with a load rating of 3415 lb. @ 80 psi. This gives me a healthy "bump" in capacity. The big issue was fit. The new tire will be the same outside diameter but is 1.2" wider. Careful measuring says I've got almost 1 3/4" currently between the sidewall and the trailer side. That should be sufficient to accomodate the .6" increase on the inside of the tire.

This tire also comes in 285/75R16. This gives a load limit of 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi. The problem is that it is 1.1" larger in diameter (there is room under the fender for this) but is also 2 full inches wider. That begins to raise questions on room between the side wall and the trailer. While it might work, it might not. So I've got a good compromise in my pick bewteen this much more capable tire and my currrent tires.

I took a look at moving up to a load range F but could not find much that was U.S. made (or made in other reputable countries). They were also almost $80/tire more than the Goodyears on average. I'm also able to use my current rims. The load range F tires were much more capable, but that increase was probably not worth the cost and effort.

G.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2012-03-30 1:44 PM (#142655 - in reply to #142209)

Expert

That 265 tire needs a 7" to 8" rim width... Your stock rims are probably 6" maybe 6.5" at best... Do much sharp turning with a load and those rims will be gouging and cutting into the tire's sidewalls... Buy a good tire that fits your rim.... What size/load range tire is listed on the trailers serial number data plate, located somewhere on the left front side of the trailer?

Tire Rack survey on your tire... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+SR-A

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)