'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
12 Vold Battery Black Wire

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-02-28 9:59 PM
5 replies, 3976 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

headedforhome
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-02-26 10:42 PM (#141483)
Subject: 12 Vold Battery Black Wire

New User

I have (5) 12V lights in my Trail-Et 2H GN.  There is a dome lite over door in dressing room, an outside dome above door to dressing room, dome inside tack, dome inside one stall and one dome at rear inside center rear.  Can I assume these lites are all on the circuit that originates with the black wire on the 7 pin connector, then it continues on the side of trailer all dome lights are located on?  If so, the first (3) are working, the (2) inside horse compartment are not...wiring runs behind paneling and thru channels from light to light....would that mean a wire is broke?  I tested for power with a test light at both & nothing.  Or would these two be wired into a different circuit that split off elsewhere?  With the wire hidden I can't tell, what other option to track down do I have?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-02-27 7:12 AM (#141485 - in reply to #141483)
Subject: RE: 12 Vold Battery Black Wire

Extreme Veteran

Don't have any experience with that type of trailer so can't really answer your specific question but typically they are all wired together. My experience with these lights, is that the bulb will come lose and/or get corrision between the tabs holding the bulb and the bulb. Usually, if you take the cover off and wiggle the bulb around, they start working. A good electrical grease between the tabs and the lights, should keep them working. If not fixed by wiggling the bulb, try wiggling the ground wire (attached to the frame of the trailer) as it can have the same issue.

Good luck.

Edited by Spin Doctor 2012-02-27 7:14 AM
headedforhome
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-02-27 2:53 PM (#141509 - in reply to #141485)

New User

I checked the actual light by applying current directly to light from an outside source and they work...just no power on actual line.  There must be a different circuit that is disconnected somehow, I just don't know where to start because they run thru channels...  I wish there was an actual diagram of where the wiring runs on these 12V wires, I would at least know where to start!

Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2012-02-27 3:52 PM (#141514 - in reply to #141483)

Extreme Veteran

On some of the later model trailers, they have a junction box under the nose in the gooseneck frame, a plug in the front nose clip on the drivers side (inside the nose up on the main frame) and/or a plug inside at the rear of the trailer by the drivers side top back clearance light. Might be worth to start in that order with test light. Make sure the ground is working on the lights. I had one a while back that the light was rivet to the main frame, but somehow the rivet would not conduct thru to ground the light. Replaced the rivet and works fine. No idea on this trailer. Might find a dealer and they would probably have experience as to where to start. Good luck.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-02-27 4:03 PM (#141515 - in reply to #141483)

Expert

If you have access to both ends of a wiring chase, and can see the various wiring colours, it's a fairly easy affair to pull a new wire into place. You can create a new hot wire and terminate it into a working supply along side a known hot feed terminal.

Sometimes it's easier and faster to rewire than to patch up old broken circuits. Pull and remove the old wires when you're done. Using a stranded wire with a good quality insulation such as a marine variety, will ensure the circuit will last a long time. Inexpensive rigid wiring will be short lived and a problem again in the not so distant future.

headedforhome
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-02-28 9:59 PM (#141545 - in reply to #141483)

New User

Got it after many hours!  It was a different circuit, and the switch to it had been inadvertently switched off!  Went to the front of the trailer & started tracking back and that's when I discovered it!  Thanks for your help!!!!

Edited by headedforhome 2012-02-28 10:01 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)