'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Silverlite or Charmac trailers - opinions anyone?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-09-10 10:49 PM
5 replies, 13694 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ella
Reg. Aug 2011
Posted 2011-08-25 2:08 PM (#137010)
Subject: Silverlite or Charmac trailers - opinions anyone?

New User

I have a Hawk 2 horse straight load trailer that is very nice, but we recently got a third pony so I'm looking at buying a used 3 horse bumper pull slant. I have a Connemara cross mare that is 1050 lb, a small pony that is 500 lb, and a new pony that is about 700 lb. I looked at a 2005 Sundowner Sunlite recently but I've heard a lot about structural problems in that time period for Sundowners with steel frames, and the powdercoating underneath was clearly flaking off and showing rust underneath. There's a 2006 Silverlite that I'm going to look at tomorrow that looks good, and there's also a few Charmacs for sale in our area. Any thoughts on either brand? I know Silverlite went out of business, but I've heard good things about their construction quality. Any thoughts?

Edited by ella 2011-08-25 2:09 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-08-25 3:03 PM (#137012 - in reply to #137010)
Subject: RE: Silverlite or Charmac trailers - opinions anyone?

Veteran

ella, I would buy a Silverlite in a minute, even though they are out of business.  Not dissing Charmac, but I don't think that they are anywhere close to Silverlite in quality.  If the Silverlite meets your needs, the floor is is good shape (pull up the matts and check), the trailer is is good shape, and the price is right, I'd go for it over a comparably featured Charmac.  I know several Silverlite owners and they are very pleased with their trailers.  I did much research before purchasing my last trailer.  I ended up with an Elite, but would have purchased a Silverlite had I found one with the features that I wanted.
adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-08-27 10:10 PM (#137053 - in reply to #137010)

Veteran

We just got a 06 Silverlite 3h GN last weekend: quality is just outstanding, built well/sturdy, tows well and very good looking.I'm somewhat upset that after this one we are not going to be able to get another silverlite (maybe a Cimmarron)
aztrailrider
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2011-08-28 5:03 PM (#137068 - in reply to #137010)

We are the proud and lucky owners of a 2008 Silverlite LQ, custom built to our specs. We love it--it looks great, the construction is unsurpassed and the fit and finish is fabulous. We got the raised nose and I am thankful for this design feature every time I make the bed. I am sure it doesn't help the fuel mileage, but we did not buy a 26 foot trailer thinking we would get great mileage. We are retired and semi-retired, travel a fair amount with our horses and both of us hope nothing happens to this trailer in our lifetimes, we cannot imagine having a different make of trailer. We also have a Silverlite bumper pull stock-type 3 horse slant load; we really do not even notice it when hauling. I recommend the brand highly and anyone who gets one if definitely not going to regret the purchase.
Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2011-09-01 9:09 PM (#137178 - in reply to #137010)

Regular

I have a 2000 Silverlite 3H GN w/8' LQ that I got on a trade deal back in 02. My original plan was to sell it w/a yr or so & get a different one but I still have it! It's been a really handy trailer, very well built, & have been very happy with it. I have a mobile tack business & would really like to have a GN w/the full MidTack w/doors on each side, but just cannot justify it enough to sell my Silverlite. I have several people that want mine if I ever sell it. Charmacs are good trailers, but they are much heavier too.
CindyClaunch
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2011-09-10 10:49 PM (#137397 - in reply to #137010)

New User

I have a Silverlite and really like it. I am sorry to hear they are out of business.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)