'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
covering interior trailer door

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-09-15 11:44 AM
8 replies, 7836 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

minimaggiesmom
Reg. Aug 2011
Posted 2011-08-11 10:41 AM (#136633)
Subject: covering interior trailer door

New User

does anyone know what you would use to affix faux leather with a fabric back to an aluminum door?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Judy K
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2011-08-11 10:47 AM (#136634 - in reply to #136633)
Subject: RE: covering interior trailer door

Veteran

I will for sure be watching for posts to this thread...I have a beautiful Outlaw interior BUT they did NOT do the inside door to match....so if anyone has done this we will both appreciate the information!!!  If I lived closer to folks that put the interior in I would take it to them.....
3canstorun
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-08-11 11:09 AM (#136635 - in reply to #136633)

You can get the material at Joann's, Hobby Lobby, on the internet etc.  I would first put foam board on it.  Use the spray adhesive in this thread -www.todd.redwrech.com.  Then get the strips of "cardboard" like material that you use to do upholestry(sp).  At a fabric store.  This will make a straight line.  Use adhesive to attach it.  Or, some other type of decorative cord around it. 

I am going to do this, but have to have the materials in front of me to do it.  Or, outline it in coordinating wood and use short self taping screws and cover the heads of those with decorative brads etc.  I think you can "get the picture".  Just play with it. 

Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-08-15 5:39 PM (#136722 - in reply to #136633)

Extreme Veteran

Rather than foamcore board, I would use luann plywood. It will stand the heat and possibly getting wet better. cut your plyboard to the size of your door. Cut your faux leather slightly larger than the board all the way around. Use spray or brushon contact adhesive and coat the board and the cloth. Follow the directions for the adhesive. Apply cloth to the board turning the edges under to cover the sides of the plyboard. Use brush on contact adhesive and adhere the board to the door. If you wish, you could put tiny screws in each corner to make sure it stays put. Cover the edges with whatever you find attractive using the contact adhesive. I would use the brush on in this case since it is easier to control.

Edited by Linda Y 2011-08-15 5:41 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-08-15 9:31 PM (#136728 - in reply to #136633)

Expert

If you have a wooden interior and want to match the door, full door sized sheets of various wood veneer species are available. They are applied using either contact cement or some are available with a self adhesive backing. They can be stained and finished as they are wood products. They will quickly dress a plain metal door.
minimaggiesmom
Reg. Aug 2011
Posted 2011-09-12 11:12 AM (#137456 - in reply to #136634)

New User

I finally got my interior door covered. I purchased of corregated sign board from a wholesaler that provides materials to sign makers. I measured the door & cut the sign board to fit. I affixed a faux leather ostrich skin fabric to the sign board with 3M spray adhesive cutting the fabric a little larger than the door so I could cover the edges of the sign board. I used a sheet of thin poster board to crease the outline of my window, cut out the shape & measured where to place it on the door. The sign board & fabric was easy to cut through with a box cutter. I sanded the aluminum door to rough it up & tried affixing the whole thing to the door with the spray adhesive, it stuck but came loose in the heat. I drilled a small hole in each corner & affixed it with screws instead. I covered the screws with conchos. It now looks very nice.
3canstorun
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-09-12 3:05 PM (#137468 - in reply to #136633)

Pictures
Flicka123
Reg. Dec 2010
Posted 2011-09-13 8:19 PM (#137506 - in reply to #136633)

Loving the ideas!!!!!
illini
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2011-09-15 11:44 AM (#137540 - in reply to #136633)

Veteran

We have the faux leather on ceiling and up in the sleeping area. The rest is finished with oak veneer. We just finished the pass door with the oak. Can not tell you how pleased we are with the looks. So excited!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)