'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
A Little Clarification/Edumication, Please

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-07-20 1:33 PM
15 replies, 7158 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

shovels
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2011-07-18 11:50 AM (#135791)
Subject: A Little Clarification/Edumication, Please

I've lurked a long while, been searching for that "perfect" trailer.  Need some help.  Just looked at an Exiss Event (2005).  Was not impressed.  Welds were horrible, can not find what type of axles, coupler are used (not even in the doc. with trailer).  Roof appears screwed on from the top with sealant over screws.  The hinges appear to be cast AL, same as the ties, which had a broken one just from a horse pulling.  Even the outer walls weren't put on well (gaps between the wall and frame, filled with sealant).  The coupler appeared to be tacked on with poor welds, I'm a little old lady and felt I could tear it off.  Featherlites were even worse (newer ones).

It looked pretty, like a lot of trailers I've looked at.  My question is, "What is the SAFEST/STRONGEST trailer?".  This trailer is priced close to a'08  C&C (with an airconditioner installed in the front wall), a '00 Sooner, which is very used and scratched, dented - minor things like door handles and such need replacing, and a Silverlite with cowboy LQ.  I've not seen the Silverlite, don't know how they're built (help, please?).  Silverlite had a 10yr structure warrenty, did they do this because the trailer is built well, or because they knew they'd be out of business?  Oh yeah, an Elite someone did a hack job putting in an LQ (screwed into the frame and cut a hole in the front wall right behind tow vehicle tires).

Wasn't there a list someone here had created that had different brands and they're problems, as well as the construction?  Why don't manufacturers include these in their specs (are they hiding something)?  Am I just too picky (as I keep getting told)?  Is there a trailer out there that meets my standards (even the mid 2000s 4-Stars seem poorly designed)? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2011-07-18 1:19 PM (#135794 - in reply to #135791)
Subject: RE: A Little Clarification/Edumication, Please

Expert

Probably not.
shovels
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2011-07-18 2:48 PM (#135800 - in reply to #135791)

So, you're telling me to accept mediocrity as the norm?  I don't think I like the idea of going down the highway, hitting a pothole, and having just a coupler on the truck as a trailer full of horses is careening across the highway.  It probably wouldn't happen, but with my luck, if there's a chance, it would.  If what you can see on the outside looks that bad, what about hidden things?

I repaired a trailer after a horse (who'd hauled for more miles than I'll ever see) tore itself and the trailer to shreds.  Why?  The electrical junction box was the lowest point on the back of the trailer, smashed and full of water.  Every time the blinkers went on, the horse was shocked.  Poor design in my view.  I've been crawling under trailers for a while now.  New trailers with axles off center, missing bolts, etc.  What manufacturers have quality control?  I'm just looking for a decent, safe trailer - pretty is an option I can live without.  I don't mind replacing an axle, fixing minor things - as long as the structure was decent to start.  The retirement account took to bad of a hit to order a new one.

What years did manufacturers make good trailers?  What types of things should I be looking for?  Is there a place on the internet to find the specs at least?  Before I go traipsing off for a 4hr drive, is Silverlite a decent built trailer?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-07-18 3:41 PM (#135802 - in reply to #135800)

Expert

Originally written by shovels on 2011-07-18 3:48 PM

"I repaired a trailer after a horse (who'd hauled for more miles than I'll ever see) tore itself and the trailer to shreds.  Why?  The electrical junction box was the lowest point on the back of the trailer, smashed and full of water.  Every time the blinkers went on, the horse was shocked." 

12volts? Low amperage? Not likely

shovels
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2011-07-18 4:10 PM (#135803 - in reply to #135791)

So you'ld think.  I could feel it.  Did some testing.  Horses felt a C battery shock.  Got a horse shock collar.  At the highest setting, it was about the same as a dog collar at the lowest.  Never got off the first setting (I couldn't feel it), horses jumped straight up (no longer have a pawer at the gate - one shock at lowest setting).  Horses seem to be much more sensitive than human or dog to current.  What explanation would you have to why this horse would do this?  It would start going nuts BEFORE every left turn.  Same time as the blinkers were on.  Coincidence?  Rode perfectly quiet the rest of the time.  Her injuries were caused by another poor design.  Mats only about 1.5' up, once it snagged a mat and pulled it down, the screws were left exposed and the horse shredded it's leg on one.

That wasn't the point, anyway.  It's still a piss poor design and should have been caught at the initial design stage.  I noticed the manufacturer has changed the position of the box, so there must have been some complaints?

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-07-18 5:25 PM (#135805 - in reply to #135791)

Expert

My recommendation to you is to buy a CUSTOM HORSE BOX...they will build it to your specifications...JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE DEEEEEEP POCKETS... http://www.frankdibella.com/
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-07-18 10:06 PM (#135809 - in reply to #135791)

Expert

Wonder why that tailight, crushed and full of water, and dead shorting, never, ever, blew a fuse.....rather odd...

My suggestion is to go to the Chuckwagon races at Clinton Arkansas, Labor Day weekend.  There will be literally thousands of trailers there, that are drug through a rocky river, hauled up and down twisty almost gravelled roads, after being heavily loaded with stock, water, supplies, and often pulling a wagon on a trailer on an after market receiver hitch placed at the back bottom of the LQ horse trailer......inspect those trailers and talk with their owners for a week, and many things will become clear...  good luck in your search...

I noticed you mentioned making repairs, perhaps you could build your own?

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-07-19 9:10 AM (#135823 - in reply to #135791)

Expert

ooops, not a tailight, a junction box... my typo  :)

shovels
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2011-07-19 9:18 PM (#135851 - in reply to #135791)

This has gotten way out of hand, and I guess my real question won't be answered.

Yes, by the way, it did blow a fuse in the guys truck on a rainy day.  When I got it and started looking, the trailer fuse panel was hard-wired, hint something was wrong.  After I'd found the box, which was full of dirt, I washed the trailer.  It blew the fuse in my truck.  The wires were actually fried.  No, I cannot build my own trailer.  I spec & engineer big equipment - my welds would look as bad or worse than than ones I've seen.  Yes, I'd love to go to Arkansas.  I just can't seem to find a trailer that I'd feel comfortable making it there with.  I'm not looking for a big ol LQ, just a simple 3 or 4H - I'd prefer a stock or combo type.  I would like to be able to see the back of the trailer on occasion going through the curves.  I don't think I'm an overly picky beachy type.  I've hauled in the back of pick-ups, stock trucks, whatever - I think most of them were safer than some of the trailers out there today.

Again - is there some place to find trailer specs?  There was some site called something wheels or the like, anyone know it?  I can't even find if some trailers are all AL, combo, steel, whatever.  The "big boys" have pretty good specs, these cheaper trailers seem to push "pretty" only in their specs, if I can find them.  Do I just figure that if they don't want to put out there how their trailers are made, they're probably crap?  Any manufacturers out there?  Why won't you tell people how your trailers are constructed?

Did anyone ever finish that master spec list from some years back (I only can search a year back)?

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-07-19 11:40 PM (#135856 - in reply to #135791)

Expert

This company manufactures good trailers...
http://www.mheby.com/horse/index.php
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-07-20 5:26 AM (#135859 - in reply to #135791)

Expert

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=13677&posts=1
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2011-07-20 8:30 AM (#135863 - in reply to #135791)

Expert

I have hauled with a 2000 Exiss Event and couldn't be more pleased. I haul quite a bit in the summer,highways of course,and I have yet to encounter a situation where the axles broke,couplers failed or welds didn't hold. I don't know if there is a safest trailer since accidents do happen. Nothing is perfect and you can't predict the future. For the most part,trailer manufactures dont' want their trailers falling apart,its bad for business not to mention the lawsuits. I don't know what your standards are but if it includes nothing ever going wrong then you are out of luck.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2011-07-20 11:25 AM (#135872 - in reply to #135791)

Expert

The Event we have has Dexter axles and a Bulldog hitch...been down many a dirt road on hunting trips.... no disintegration so far!

Edited by flyinghfarm 2011-07-20 11:27 AM
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2011-07-20 12:06 PM (#135878 - in reply to #135791)

Veteran

shovels, The Silverlites are good trailers and worth looking at. Availability of good high end trailers will depend on where you are located. I am in the PNW and we don't have as good a selection as people will find east of the Rockies. I looked for 7 years for my second LQ trailer and was willing to drive. I drove about 500 miles to get a 2003 Elite. Now I'm pulling a 24 foot on the deck 8 wide with a 3/4 ton PU and I'd feel it if those axles weren't true. This trailer is a dream to pull and "Look at those beautiful welds. Look at those window frames." are comments that I get all of the time. This trailer is an aluminum tank. If I were you, I'd go for a top end older trailer that has been recreationally used and well taken care of. This way you will get your biggest bang for the buck. My picks would be an older Elite, 4 Star, C&C, Hart, Platinum, Silverado and like an earlier poster said, Eby if you can find one depending on where you are. I saw an Eby stock trailer just recently and was impressed. Bloomer is also good, but most of the ones that I've seen were rodeo folks and those trailers are rode hard and put away wet. There is stuff out there that is 10 years old and looks almost brand new.
ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-07-20 12:34 PM (#135879 - in reply to #135791)

Regular

if your original question is "whats the best trailer" you're unlikely to get a single resounding answer from this group :). everyone has a favorite, and everyone looks at trailers with a different laundry list of what it HAS to have, what they'd LIKE it to have and what is unacceptable.

that said, I just bought my very first trailer. I did a ton of research online but found that going to my local dealers (every time I went on a road trip I'd find a trailer dealer in the area and go jump around in the trialers on the lot) was the most useful.

after some months of that, I started to see what lines had features I liked, what lines had the quality of finish work I liked, and what lines stood up over time (used trailers are awesome to poke around for that. rust? squishy floor? windows all work?)

short answer from my point of view? go to trailer lots and jump around in their inventory. talk to the dealer and find out what they sell lots of new, and what they get alot of back on consignment and why. what comes in for repairs? run your fingers along the welds. wiggle the latches, and imagine trying to close and open doors in an emergency. are the tie rings at a good height for you? (as a medium height girl, a number of trailer lines were rejected out of hand because the tie rings were too tall for me to reach without climbing on the fender). same with window latches. stand in the horse compartment with the divider closed. will your horse fit and be comfortable? how light is the space? how airy?

for the record I ended up with a TrailsWest Sierra 2 hrs slant load gooseneck and I LOVE IT. its perfect for me and my horse. super high quality finishing, and tons of little details that I am still finding as I use it :) (the hooks for the watertank hose and electric hookup so they're all stored tidy, the wee lined cup for the end of the crank handle so it doesnt rattle, the carpet lined tack room walls... awesome :))

but as you jump around in horse trailers on the lot you will likely find a number of brands that you like, and then you can go shoppign and get the best price :)

good luck!

brendaclemens
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-07-20 1:33 PM (#135885 - in reply to #135878)

Regular

Originally written by horsecamper on 2011-07-20 12:06 PM

shovels, The Silverlites are good trailers and worth looking at. Availability of good high end trailers will depend on where you are located. I am in the PNW and we don't have as good a selection as people will find east of the Rockies. I looked for 7 years for my second LQ trailer and was willing to drive. I drove about 500 miles to get a 2003 Elite. Now I'm pulling a 24 foot on the deck 8 wide with a 3/4 ton PU and I'd feel it if those axles weren't true. This trailer is a dream to pull and "Look at those beautiful welds. Look at those window frames." are comments that I get all of the time. This trailer is an aluminum tank. If I were you, I'd go for a top end older trailer that has been recreationally used and well taken care of. This way you will get your biggest bang for the buck. My picks would be an older Elite, 4 Star, C&C, Hart, Platinum, Silverado and like an earlier poster said, Eby if you can find one depending on where you are. I saw an Eby stock trailer just recently and was impressed. Bloomer is also good, but most of the ones that I've seen were rodeo folks and those trailers are rode hard and put away wet. There is stuff out there that is 10 years old and looks almost brand new.

Agree 100%...I am super picky too & have a budgeted amount of dollars. I just bought my 4th Elite trailer...love them & their customer service people...Good luck & don't get discouraged...a 10-12 yr old Elite is better than getting a cheaply built new "other" brand. Lots of bargains to be had but you do have to look and be PICKY! Good luck :)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)