'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fiberglass over aluminum?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-07-18 8:32 PM
4 replies, 5957 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-18 11:44 AM (#135790)
Subject: Fiberglass over aluminum?

Is there a thread discussing this around here?  I've read up on aluminum skins over steel but haven't read any reviews or opinions on this yet.  I found an older Sooner model which appears in very good shape, just curious about this type of construction.  Any thoughts appreciated.

Also in regards to the "skins" trailers, I really was liking the Logan Coaches.  They seem to fit the bill in every way for my needs and I even read up some good reviews. But was disappointed to find out they are aluminum skin over steel?  I read up on the issues regarding this and decided not to even look at them.  NTM, the LC are a bit pricey but w/ an 8yr warrenty I thought it may be a good investment worth considering.  Does anyone know if ALL Logan Coaches are of this design?  From what I've read I believe so.

Thanks in advance trailer experts!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-07-18 12:19 PM (#135792 - in reply to #135790)
Subject: RE: Fiberglass over aluminum?

Veteran

Did you mean aluminum over steel rather than fiberglass? I can't speak to the engineering aspects of alminum over steel construction but can relate my own experience.

I owned a 2000 Hawk that was steel construction covered with an aluminum skin. The roof was one piece fiberglass. I now longer own the trailer but always thought very highly of it and the construction.

The fiberglass roof was one piece. Despite sitting out in the rain, snow and hail for five years the trailer never had any problems with the roof leaking. The fiberglass also made the trailer a lot cooler for the horses. On a hot day the inside of the trailer was cooler than outside.
I assume the advantage of aluminum exterior is that it's less inclined to rust than steel. The downsize is that there is yearly maintenance required to maintain it especially if stored outside.

One of the problems with trying to find a well-built brand of trailer is that construction techniques change over time within the same brand. For example maybe a Sundowner 2000 would be great but a 2004 might have floor issues.

Maybe you can find several trailer brands that are constructed the way you want or are close then you'll have to take each possible trailer on it's own merits.

It's like buying a house or a car. It's very rare to get exactly what you want. Decide what are the most important aspects of a trailer for you (non-negotiable) then be willing to be flexible on the other stuff.

Good luck to you.

Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-18 2:12 PM (#135799 - in reply to #135790)

Thank you, no it's actually, fiberglass skin, aluminum frame, aluminum floor, aluminum roof,  94 Sooner.  I didn't even know this sort exsisted. I've worn my brain out searching and just keep on learning more and more.  I'm exhausted but I am so very thankful to have found this forum and getting help.  I want this to last me a LONG time, that is until the gimmies return and I can upgrade my truck as well. :O)  I think buying my house was easier, ha.  When hauling such precious cargo it's impt. to do it right the first time.

thanks again!

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2011-07-18 3:05 PM (#135801 - in reply to #135790)

Elite Veteran

I think if you'll look closer, you'll find the aluminum floor, and aluminum roof radius. But the walls and roof are what is know as FRP, or Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood. If it is a Sooner, you've likely seen the name Dynasty on it somewhere. That was the series name for their FRP. A wonderful idea (still used in motorhomes/travel trailers today) that was short lived in the horse trailer industry. Let us just say, there were some unanticipated issues.
Spotteddream
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2011-07-18 8:32 PM (#135807 - in reply to #135790)

Thank you so much for your post. Another member enlightened me in regards to the weight of such a trailer and now its off the list. I simply had never heard of fiberglass "skins" b/f. I'm learning a lot thanks to you and a few others! Much appreciated!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)