'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Jamco hay net question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-14 12:17 AM
4 replies, 5393 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Jeepinca
Reg. May 2011
Posted 2011-05-13 10:35 AM (#134105)
Subject: Jamco hay net question

New User

I have a 2004 Jamco 2 horse, straight load, bumper pull.  I am having an issue that I was wondering if someone may have found a solution for.

I am struggling to find a place to hang my hay net and tie the horse.  There is basically two options.  There is one hook on the outside wall of the trailer on each side, and there is on shared hook in the middle post of the trailer. 

The people who I bought the trailer from used the center hook and hung each hay bag from it. That worked ok except that it left no room to tie horses because two hay bags were hanging from one spot. So, you had to tie the horse to the outside hook.  This meant the horses head would essentially be tied away from the hay bag. 

I have the type of hay bag that is solid with a hole in the front.  The hay bags also get turned around.  I had been using this type because my grass hay came out of the hole net type bags.  Now I see I can get smaller holed nets - maybe I should try that option.

I guess I just haven't been satisfied with the set up. Like Jamco wasn't thinking about that when they designed the trailer. 

My mare is obsessed with her food and the only way she will behave in the trailer is to have it in front of her.  Right now, I am always worried that she doesn't have good access to it and she will start causing trouble back there.

Does anyone with a Jamco know what I am talking about?  If so, how have you solved this problem?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ornerie
Reg. Sep 2010
Posted 2011-05-13 10:47 AM (#134106 - in reply to #134105)
Subject: RE: Jamco hay net question

Regular

is there room to install a manger style bag?

http://www.horsetraileraccessorystore.com/trailer_feed_bags.htm

we have these in my friends straight load and they work great. the horses can get their legs under the bags to brace on the road and they cant flip over or get dumped.

skeil@midway
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-05-13 11:04 AM (#134108 - in reply to #134105)

I would suggest 4 options:
#1 - Like you said, purchase the hay net with smaller holes and tie it to the center post, and use a longer tie rope for your horse when she's tied to the side wall so she can reach the hay.
#2 - Install add'l tie loops on the center post and tie the net and the horse there - I would suggest using the hay net with smaller holes as the hay bag will still be hard for your horse to get at as they spin.
#3 - My favorite, install an add'l tie loop on the bulkhead wall in front of the horse, which will also enable you to use the hay bag, as it won't be so apt to spin as there will be a solid wall behind it.
#4 - Purchase square hay bags from your local trailer dealer which mount directly in front of the chest bar to the bulkhead wall, and are easily removable.
Jeepinca
Reg. May 2011
Posted 2011-05-14 12:12 AM (#134120 - in reply to #134105)

New User

I need to find a link to my trailer floor plan. But there is a good 3 feet between the chest strap and the front wall of the trailer.  It's big enough to stack bales of hay in front of the horses. 
Jeepinca
Reg. May 2011
Posted 2011-05-14 12:17 AM (#134121 - in reply to #134105)

New User

Here is my trailer: The Legend Contender II.

http://www.jamcotrailers.com/trailers/model.php?series=Legend&model=Contender

You can see that there is 4' from the chest bar to the front wall so essentially there is not place to hang a manger or tie a bag.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)