'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Teach me about living quarters

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-03-14 7:47 PM
8 replies, 7959 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2011-03-12 2:23 PM (#131568)
Subject: Teach me about living quarters

Regular

We recently bought a new trailer with living quarters (shower, toilet, microwave, range top, refrigerator, freezer, furnace, a/c, etc.) and since I've never had living quarters I'm a little in the dark about the electric/propane/batteries. I know that if we are somewhere where there's an electric plug in, we are good to go. And that we need electric or generator if we want to use the a/c.But how about when we are somewhere where we don't have electric hookups? Will the 2 batteries & 2 propane tanks last for a weekend away? If we decide to get a generator, what size do we need? Anything you can tell me would help. thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gonzo1066
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2011-03-12 4:07 PM (#131569 - in reply to #131568)
Subject: RE: Teach me about living quarters

Veteran

If you don't have a generator you will need to be FRUGAL in power usage.  This does depend on the size and number of batteries your rig has      The common setup is 2 12v RV batteries, these should see you through a regular weekend if you are just using lights, and fans and your water pump.    When you run 110 volt item with a inverter the power usage goes way up  That is if you need to run a TV VCR Disc player or computer . 

The size of generator depends on what your comfort level is.   If you are  a rough it kind of person than a Honda 1000 will suffice   This is just enough to keep the battery's charged with nominal power usage     If you need to run a TV or other entertainment you can get by with something the size of the Honda 2000, this is still too small to run the A/C but will keep the coach charged really well and run lots of TV,computer type stuff.     If you need your A/C and other power items to run at the same time than you need to step up to at least a 3000W gen or even a 4000W 

Dual 20# propane bottles should last a weekend unless you are in REALLY cold conditions and run the furnace continuously  As with the rest of us this is a trial and error process.  GO HAVE FUN 

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-03-12 4:08 PM (#131570 - in reply to #131568)

Elite Veteran

You will definitely need shore power or a generator to run AC, microwave, and anything that plugs into a 110 v outlet (like the ones in your house). The batteries alone will run most of your lights, your furnace blower (if you have forced air heat), and water pump. Whether or not your batteries will last through the weekend will depend on how strong (new) they are, and how much you use them. If they are in good shape and used sparingly (don't leave lights on, etc.) you should be fine through the weekend.Have fun with your new trailer!I recommend you do a test run without shore power, even if its right in your driveway. Better to know at home what you can and cannot do and accommodate before you leave for a trip.
ArabHorseLover
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2011-03-12 4:32 PM (#131571 - in reply to #131568)

Regular

thank you. The dealer is going to go through everything when we pick it up but I always like to hear from real live users. :) We only had a dressing home before so were used to roughing it. We bought the trailer so my husband would/could accompany us (his idea!) so I'm sure he's going to want the a/c going. ha! From what I've read, the important things to look at with generators is weight, gas tank size and how quiet it is. Anything else? Are generators something you can consider getting used or would you only look at new?A trial run at home is a great idea - thank you!
gonzo1066
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2011-03-12 9:29 PM (#131575 - in reply to #131568)

Veteran

I know that there are some that have had good luck buying a used generator, but there are some unscrupulous sellers out there.   If you got by on the dressing room and did OK  You are going to LOVE your new trailer.   I hope that your dealer takes the time to give you a through walk through and is helpful in getting you started.   This makes all the difference to have some initial help.
AirborneTed
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-03-13 9:15 AM (#131589 - in reply to #131568)

Beware plugging the trailer into the house to power up anything  more than the fridge.  The AC runs on a 30 amp circuit.  Mosrt garages are 15-20 amps so this will overload the garage circuit (learned this the hard way).  I bought a Champion 3000 watt, 30 amp generator from Tractor Supply for $300 that powers everything in the trailer (lights, AC, pumps, coffee makers, everything).  My trailer is not wired for it so I put it on the ground, grounded it and ran the trailer plug stright to it (it has an RV outlet on it).  Works great in austere conditions.

We fill up the propane in the Spring and normally have to replace once during the season with us taking half a dozen 4-5 days trips.  Your usage will vary.  Whenever you attach to an electrical hookup, it will recharge your batteries via the power converter.

Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-03-13 8:35 PM (#131603 - in reply to #131568)

Elite Veteran

15-20 amps in your garage? Ours is 50 amp. You can't run much of anything with 15-20 amps. I haven't heard of this before....

Edited by Gone 2011-03-13 8:36 PM
AirborneTed
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2011-03-14 6:36 PM (#131649 - in reply to #131568)

Yeah, its a regular house garage, not a separate garage built to actually work in.  15-20 amps is common here in Tennessee in neighborhoods.

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2011-03-14 7:47 PM (#131654 - in reply to #131568)

Extreme Veteran

My standard 20lb tanks (gas grill size) will last all summer with a fill up of the empty one for fall camping.  We are not shy with the heater and use the stove top all summer.

I do carry a Yamaha 2400 generator because we like coffee in the am and AC and a nice shower on a hot summers day after a ride.

I have three batteries.  2 (type 24 to run the house) the one type 27 is reserved for my jack and emergency power.

Watering your batteries and proper charging in-between use is one of your most important chores.

There is as much to learn about a horse trailer Lq as any RV owner would have to learn about thier new RV.

Google / search this forum and ask questions.  Use common sense and you will have a blast.

Here are a couple links that helped me in the beginning.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm

You can get this in the marine section in walmart

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/p-7224-equus-innova-battery-charging-system-monitor-3721.aspx

Great re-charge chart at the bottom of this page

http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_details/charge_wizard.html

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World