'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Replacing time delayed controller with proportional

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-24 2:43 PM
5 replies, 2824 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

classact2575
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-08-24 10:35 AM (#123986)
Subject: Replacing time delayed controller with proportional

Hi everyone-

I just purchased my first towing vehicle (yay!), a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban for my small two-horse bumper pull. The guy who owned the truck before me put in a bunch of towing extras, such as a cold air intake, air shocks, and a brake controller. However, it appears the controller that's in the truck is a Jordan Actuator (identical to the Drawtite Activator), which is a time delayed controller. I've read that I should get a proportional controller, such as a Prodigy, to tow safely.

That being said, how do I go about replacing it? There are four wires coming out of the back of the controller - yellow, blue, red, and white. (Although I'm curious as to whether I'm remembering correctly as it seems that it should be black, not yellow?) There may have been another harness hanging down next to the controller that looks like it could be related to the brake controller. Do I just remove the wires from the Actuator and go from there, or what?  (Obviously disconnecting the battery first, of course! ;))

Thanks in advance!

-KC

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-08-24 11:27 AM (#123992 - in reply to #123986)
Subject: RE: Replacing time delayed controller with proportional

Veteran

classact, people, I included, have towed safely for years with the type of controller which you have.  I still have one on one of my trucks.  That being said, for the other truck, which hauls about 10k, I bought a Prodigy.  And, yeah, I do like it. It's especially nice if a person has several different weights of trailers to haul with the same truck.  I don't do the sparky thing, but the guys will chime in soon and help you out.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-08-24 11:27 AM (#123993 - in reply to #123986)

Expert

Does it look like this;

http://www.bestbrakecontroller.com/

It shouldn't have four wires if it is an actual Jordan, but you mention "another harness hanging down next to the controller".  I would follow the second harness and see if it connects to the brake pedal.  If you have a Jordan, you don't need to change it.

Otherwise you'll just have to ID the wires by function with a test light.

classact2575
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-08-24 12:02 PM (#123996 - in reply to #123986)

Nope, it's definitely not that one in the link. It looks like this guy: http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/MIEric_photos/2100Brakecontrolleradjusted.jpg

(Not my actual controller. )

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-08-24 12:17 PM (#123997 - in reply to #123986)

Expert

Oh well,  I would just cut the old one out and grab the test light. 

Should have two smaller gauge wires and two larger.  Smaller 'should' be the stop light and ground, big ones 12v and trailer circuit.  No matter the wire size, you should have one hot all the time, one hot/cold with application of brake pedal, then you can jump the test light from the 12v to the wire you suspect is the ground...should light.  If you touch the 12v to the trailer circuit (not hooked to trailer) nothing should happen.

classact2575
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-08-24 2:43 PM (#124004 - in reply to #123986)

OK, cool. I don't have a test light but I do have a multimeter... I assume this will do the trick? :)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)