'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
electric fence

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-18 9:48 PM
5 replies, 3697 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Lazy M
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2010-08-17 10:55 PM (#123688)
Subject: electric fence

Regular

Hi, I apologize for putting this question on the trailer forum as I know it should really be on the horse talk, but my local feed store has a sale that will be ending and I thought I would get more response form this forum. I want to put together a portable electric fence to use while camping. I thought I would get the Zareba fencer, yellow jacket that runs on a lantern battery as it's smaller and less expensive than my other choice. It has a 10 mile range. The other choice is the same brand but a solar charger that has a 3 mile range. I don't like it as well because it's larger and I guess I couldn't just keep it in the trailer as the directions say to keep it in the sun when not in use. My question is whether the yellow jacket with the 10 mile range has too much of a charge for the small corral use. I was told that it would be too strong and if a horse touched it they would bolt through the fence.Opinions? Thanks Joan
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-08-17 11:16 PM (#123689 - in reply to #123688)
Subject: RE: electric fence

Expert

I use one all the time for my back country camp fences.  I pull a 1/4 mile of poly string and attach the Yellow Jacket (using just the 4 "D" cells batteries) And it works just fine.
Tankerbell
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-08-18 5:56 AM (#123692 - in reply to #123688)

Regular

I use that same set up all the time too.  Works perfectly, as long as your horse is trained to an electric fence.  You can set it up as large or small as it needs to be.  Have fun camping!
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-08-18 11:03 AM (#123716 - in reply to #123688)

Veteran

Lazy M, I'll third that.  I use pretty much the same set up, one with four D batteries. If your horse is used to the electric fence, there should be no problem. If you have a horse like my gelding who likes to test stuff all the time and is pretty bad on fences generally, get the taller step in posts that allow you to position the tape or wire where you want it.   Just run a double strand, one high and one low, that will help prevent any initial creeping under or leaning over that might lead to an accident.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-08-18 11:53 AM (#123721 - in reply to #123688)

Expert

I too, have been using the Yellowjacket for years, trouble freel  Also I like that the ground rod attaches to the charger with the charger's built in clamp set up, and therefore the ground rod is also my mounting post for the charger, it is easy and works well. We use the nylon rope style fence, t posts with insulators and mushroom caps, and can build a stockade of a pen if necessary!  We also carry a t post puller to make it simple to remove them to leave.  The Yellowjacket does not appear to be too weak or two strong for the wired cord rope electric fence, and they respect it well.
Slidinspots
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-08-18 9:48 PM (#123747 - in reply to #123688)

Veteran

I have used the yellow jacket quite a bit without problem. Make sure you make the pen large enough so that his tail will not get caught no matter where he is in it. Make sure your horse is trained for electric fence.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)