'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
FRP Walls-Can they be fixed?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-16 8:45 AM
7 replies, 7987 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OnTheRoadAgain
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-15 10:56 AM (#123546)
Subject: FRP Walls-Can they be fixed?

I posted earlier about the plywood rotting in my Merhow trailer walls.  First guy told me that it isn't worth fixing. I've been looking online at used trailers and noticed a lot of older trailers with plywood on the inside of the walls. I was wondering if it would be possible to have someone attach new plywood to the fiberglass on the inside to fix this problem? Would it be safe to drive? I am having a hard time finding a used trailer that I can afford.  I really need one for short trips...there is no riding arena at the barn I board at. Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
wyndancer
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2010-08-15 1:13 PM (#123551 - in reply to #123546)
Subject: RE: FRP Walls-Can they be fixed?

Extreme Veteran

I'd venture a guess that most plywood/OSB is fastened to the inside of trailer the prevent kicking damage...and adds no structural support.

I was once at an RV dealer where they were in the process of replacing and FRP side on a Class c motorhome. The new sidewall, from the rear to the overhead bunk area, arrived in one piece via truck. It had all the opening routed out. Big job considering all the interior cabinets had to be re-mounted, plumbing, heating, appliances.

Big job, but then the mfg was paying.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-08-15 4:01 PM (#123558 - in reply to #123546)

Expert

Your trailer isn't worth what to whom? How much will it cost to replace it? If the repairs are less than a replacement, would you keep it?

The answer is yes it can be repaired. The unknown is how much damage is involved, and what the resulting repair costs will be. Screwing plywood to the inside of a delaminated panel is akin to placing a bandaid on a broken limb. It will add even more weight to the already heavy trailer and offer little or no structural improvement.

Without getting technical, a FRP repair with a plywood core involves a few steps. If the delaminated areas are small and don't involve a whole panel, they are identified and marked. On the inside, a trim router with a straight bit cuts away the interior FRP of the involved area and it is removed. The bit depth is set so that it does not contact the exterior FRP skin. The rotted wood is removed, and a new carefully crafted piece is fitted and epoxied in place and to the outside skin. The inside FRP skin is replaced and the whole wall is then painted to match the original. The outside skin is left intact and undisturbed, to maintain the original looks and integrity.

Any marina that offers fiberglass boat repairs can effect your trailer repairs. Repairing cored fiberglass construction is a common practice for these businesses. Most boat yards in the NE command at least $65-$75 shop hourly rates plus materials. Again in the NE, around the middle to the end of Oct., many boatyard labourers will receive layoff notices. Their wages are typically in the ~$20 range. Many of them welcome under the table jobs at those rates.

Your repairs could range greatly in price, depending on their volume and numbers. Even if they approach the thousands of $ range, can you purchase a replacement trailer for that amount?

You need to talk with and show your trailer to, someone who is competent in these types of repairs, so you can make an informed decision. BOL

OnTheRoadAgain
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-15 5:48 PM (#123567 - in reply to #123546)

Thank you gard! I really appreciate the detailed reply and the information.  I will see if it is worth having it repaired.
figero
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-08-15 6:24 PM (#123570 - in reply to #123567)

Regular

Your profile dose not say where you live but if it is'nt to far away, you can take the trailer back to Merhow, they repair FRP trailers all the time. They are in Bristol Indiana.
OnTheRoadAgain
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-16 6:47 AM (#123588 - in reply to #123546)

figero-I never thought about that...I am about 6 hours away though.

Does anyone have an idea of how much this would cost to do? I know the real answer is "it depends!" but to me it sounds like a fairly expensive, involved repair.  I am wondering if my money would be better spent finding a decent used trailer??

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-08-16 7:35 AM (#123590 - in reply to #123546)

Try talking to Merhow first. It seems to me that they would be more willing to cut you a deal on the repairs since they made the trailer.  How old is your trailer? Maybe they will repair for the PR they would get. Stranger things have happened!
OnTheRoadAgain
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-08-16 8:45 AM (#123594 - in reply to #123546)

Unfortunately, I can't see Merhow helping me out a great deal.  I bought this trailer new in 1993. I had several structural problems with it beginning 3 years later (and a year after the warranty expired.) I called Merhow at that time and basically they told me I was out of luck. They were not even willing to cut me a deal on the repairs it needed. Horrible customer service.  I know someone now who is now going through the same type of issues with a new big, expensive custom Merhow she just bought. 

It just seems to me that Merhow does not stand behind their products.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)