'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
HELP... ONCE AGAIN!!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-08-15 11:14 AM
4 replies, 3139 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kkschiller
Reg. Aug 2010
Posted 2010-08-15 12:24 AM (#123531)
Subject: HELP... ONCE AGAIN!!!!

New User

ok I posted last week inquiring about trailers --- well, in the middle of designing one we stumbled across a finished 2009 Sundowner Luxury Series with incredible living quarters finished on the lot for about a 30 percent off the sticker of $170K. OK, so I have a huge problem - its approx 40' in length - 3 Horse with 18 ft SW with "double grand" 16 ft slideout. (I think the trailer is about 15000 empty and triple axle) Lots of LQ which we loved. Today at our show in 112 heat factor the LQ was GLORIOUS! Now for my issue....I have a Ford Super Duty 2010 F350 that they said would haul it no problem -- well, NOT THE CASE!! On the 2+ hour drive home our dually chugged and jerked. It was so bad I got carsick and we had to stop. Then came the REAL FUN....it high-centered coming in our front gate and it won't fit over the RR crossing!!!!!!! EEEEKS!!! The sewer and water tanks would tear out.... I was told I could put a "after market" kit on the Ford Dually with some air shock lift thing that would help it a few inches. The dealership insisted the truck's capacity was 24,000 lbs no problems - I am calling BS on it Today when we went to a show it was a bit smoother with three horses in the back but it still drove rough enough to rattle the brake light plugs out a few times. We brought someone out to look at the driveway about not only widening it - but fixing a 35+ ft grade/slope over the tracks - assuming that works. Which will cost a FORTUNE with no assurances. My husband said today -- "buy a used Frieghtliner" - the people next to us had one and said with the electric lift they could jack theirs up almost a foot and had no problem. (Basically same thing happened to them) -- also the man suggested no matter what you do to the F350 it wouldnt be safe hauling that big of a load and within 18 months the transmission would be torn out! I feel like DUMB BLOND POLLOCK of the YEAR - I now have a gorgeous trailer and its parked a mile up at my front gates on the road because it wont fit!!!! So my question is -- Frieghtliner vs International??? Also anyone else have any thoughts on the F350 and the "after-market" kits??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-08-15 7:27 AM (#123534 - in reply to #123531)
Subject: RE: HELP... ONCE AGAIN!!!!

Extreme Veteran

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/towing/

here are the towing capacities. It varies with engine size and gear ratio. But it doesn't sound like a match made in heaven. The upside is if you can afford a trailer that expensive the other costs to use it shouldn't be a problem.

I am not polish or blond or  I may have been to stupid to reply.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-08-15 7:28 AM (#123535 - in reply to #123531)

Expert

Sounds like you were taken in by a salesman’s tall tale to make the sale.  I've have that happen to me.  "Your truck will pull it" Sure it will pull it, but will it do the job you want it to do?   Nope ... as you have found out like a dope.   (Sorry ...  the rhyme was too good to pass up)

The 2010 Ford towing guide says "up to" 24,600 pounds of trailer and "up to" 6,180 pounds of payload.  For a King ranch truck like yours... the figures are less because of all the weight of the KR options.   No matter what you do to the F350, you won't be happy. Its performance with your new trailer will be doo doo.

In your earlier posts you said you were considering a F-550 to pull a large trailer.   This forum gave you experience based advice on the truck needed.

Good luck with your new truck...

Edited by hosspuller 2010-08-15 7:30 AM
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-08-15 9:17 AM (#123539 - in reply to #123531)

Veteran

When you move to a trailer that size you may need to change your frame of mind about pulling.  This is just my opinion.  I have an M2 freightliner and an 02 F550 with modified drive train.  The days of pulling at 70-80 all day long are over.  Coming back from High school finals in Gillette Wy. to Little britches finals in Pueblo Co. I had plenty of "smaller" rigs pass me.  You'd better get OK with that.  You're moving a lot of weight and a lot of value down the road.  In my opinion, a class 8 semi truck with both axles left under it would be the best way to go.  They are designed to operate in those conditions.  That being said I have a friend that pulls a trailer just like yours with a one ton GM, has done it for a long time.  I've seen one ton Dodges and Fords pulling big trailers, it can be done, but I wouldn't highly recommend it.  As far as your other problem, don't start lifting the front of the trailer and not lift the back.  You Do Not want them to run at a nose up angle even with 3 axles.  Keep your trailer pulling as level as possible.  Also, talked to a gentleman that pulls a huge trailer with a 2011 F450, said it's a big step over the 2010 he had.  Still a lot of trailer for that truck, but probably within specs.  I'm also not familiar with the electric lift you refer to, not sure how that would get you over the tracks.  Just my opinion.  
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-08-15 11:14 AM (#123547 - in reply to #123531)

Congrats on your wonderful trailer. I have been somewhat in your shoes, that is with a truck not enuf to pull trailer well or safely. So I went a bought a bigger truck. Don't think you can go wrong with Freightliner, also I like the Volvo big trucks. Let us hear what truck you get. Pictures are always nice too. The kits may be ok, but you really need a bigger truck.

Edited by rose 2010-08-15 11:17 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)