'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Riding in Yellowstone or around West Yellowstone

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-19 11:27 AM
1 replies, 4017 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

huntinfool
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-07-18 11:05 PM (#122524)
Subject: Riding in Yellowstone or around West Yellowstone

Regular

I have a desire to do some riding in Yellowstone or around West Yellowstone this year . I have been doing some on line research and getting a little information , but I would greatly appreciate any information from people you have done some riding in that area .

Of course every thing is still in the planning stages . Correct me if I'm wrong , but from my research it appears there is a permit process and some hoops to jump through if you are planning to use pack horses or do a several day trip in the park .

I'm thinking for right now I would like to find a place like a camp ground or a bed and breakfast that has corrals , and then do some trail rides that could be accomplished in one day .

I would welcome any suggestions on trails to ride , areas to stay , etc. Thanks in advance .

Edited by huntinfool 2010-07-18 11:06 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-07-19 11:27 AM (#122546 - in reply to #122524)
Subject: RE: Riding in Yellowstone or around West Yellowstone

Expert

We have done a lot of day rides in and around the park.  Yellowstone requires you to clean sweep out your trailer before you can enter the park. They are concerned about not only Weed Free hay, but ANY non native plant. They don't want seed from even plants that are not considered weeds. Coggins must be carried on the horse and shown to any back country ranger who may request you produce it.

If the trailer is clean and you have your papers, I've not spent more than a few minutes with the rangers at the gate.

The biggest problem you will find is where to camp/keep the horses.   There are no camp grounds in the park designed for horses trailers and horses. So you can only back country camp with horses inside the park. Most of the camp grounds near the park entrances are all designed for campers and RV's. They don't want any horse poop on the ground in their camp grounds.  Luckily there is a lot of national forest where you can primative camp if you know where to get off the road..

Most of Yellowstone is pretty easy riding. The trails are easy to follow, The ranger keep most of the deadfalls cut out. You don't have a lot of steep climbs or elevation changes like riding in the Uintas

Even in the new growth areas that are replacing the burned units. It a wide open trail

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)