'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Daniel Boone National Forest

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-16 11:16 AM
12 replies, 6796 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DKB
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-07-12 11:54 AM (#122255)
Subject: Daniel Boone National Forest

Does anyone have any experience with trails and camping with horses in this area? Prefer electric, but can generator the weekend.

Thanks,
Donna
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-07-12 2:45 PM (#122258 - in reply to #122255)
Subject: RE: Daniel Boone National Forest

Veteran

If you prefer at least electric and water I highly recommend  Red Hill Horse Camp

Gene is very nice and has a very nice camp-- stalls are available also

www.redhillhorsecamp.com

The above is the camp owner Gene and his horse

DKB
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-07-12 4:15 PM (#122263 - in reply to #122258)

Cludia,

Thanks for the info.
What did you think of the trails, easy maps....?
Donna
flummoxed
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-07-12 7:23 PM (#122271 - in reply to #122255)

Red Hill Horse Camp is quite good, probably the best horsecamp in Kentucky. Like most trails in the DB they can be rocky. And anywhere in that area there is always riding up and down the mountains. This is true at Red Hill. Depending on your level of riding and the condition of your horse it will either be easy or a challenge. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have shoes on your horses if you ride in that area. Gene does provide maps, but like anywhere you go it'll probably be a bit confusing the first time. If you know someone who has ridden there before invite them along. Cook 'em dinner and give 'em a few beers after the ride. It'll be well worth it. Other places in or near the DB are at Cave Run, which has 2 private camps, both with electrical and then there is White Sulfur, which is run by the FS and is primitive.
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-07-13 1:42 PM (#122316 - in reply to #122255)

Veteran

I agree 100% with flummoxed "review"

Our horses were in good shape-- but some of the other riders horses were really huffing and puffing --  it IS hilly and rocky-- but all the area is

flummoxed-- what are the private camps names over by Cave Run?? I thought they only had a primitive site over there

flummoxed
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-07-13 6:03 PM (#122332 - in reply to #122255)

The two camps, other than the primitive White Sulphur camp, are Cave Run Stables and Resort and Rudy's Ranch. CRRS is about a 30 -35 minute ride to get to the trails leading off White Sulphur. (We ride 1/4 horses so TWH and other gaited equidaes would probably beat us there by 15 minutes or more. Heck, 14 year-old three-legged dog with a gastrointestinal condition would probably get there 10 minutes before us.) The trail to WS from CRS&R is nice so no complaints there. CRS&R is pleasant. Barn is great, sites level and shady. Rudy's Ranch is near Cave Run but I would be remiss to imply that it was an easy ride to Cave Run. The new owners are very nice and trying to make it as pleasant as possible for everyone but I'm not so liking their stalls -- at least as of last year. I suppose the best comparison I heard between the two is that CRS&R is where you go if you want to ride and Rudy's is where you go to socialize. (If I could figure out how to attach photos in this dang forum I would gladly share 'em.)
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-07-13 6:44 PM (#122337 - in reply to #122255)

Veteran

I agree..White Sulfur has got the trails but the camp litterly sucks, Caverun Stables is a decent campground but you have to open and close gates to get back to it and there isn't much in the way of supplies to be had, Rudys Ranch is probably the best campground but has the worst trails, some are kinda steep and rocky and a couple of weeks ago had some major trees blocking the switchback and other trails. It all depends on what you are looking for
DKB
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-07-13 9:27 PM (#122347 - in reply to #122255)

These suggestions are great, and Red Hill has the vote for our next adventure. Our horses are fit for these type of trails because we often train at Deams Lake/Clark Forest in Indiana.

Thanks for sharing all the wealth of information. I love Horse Trailer World website and the poster are great!

Donna
TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-07-14 9:38 AM (#122357 - in reply to #122255)

Regular

We camped at White Sulphur about 2 years ago, and the campground was pretty much just an open field at that point, though I hear they've done some work to it since... The trails are gorgeous though. Next time we head that way we'll probably stay at Red Hill or Cave Run Stables.
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-07-14 10:04 AM (#122361 - in reply to #122357)

Veteran

"Our horses are fit for these type of trails because we often train at Deams Lake/Clark Forest in Indiana."

These are our home trails-- we only live a couple of miles from Clark Forest-- so-- you'll be fine---  Deams/Clark is a great place to get your horses in shape

That's for the other camp info-- I've heard of Rudy's Ranch

flummoxed
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-07-14 5:58 PM (#122386 - in reply to #122255)

Where abouts do you live in Kentucky? We're about 30 minutes away from Red Hill. When you head to RHHC let us know and we'd be happy to show you the trails. We have GPS'd a lot of the trails in all our rides down there. (BTW - does anyone know a site where trail riders share their GPS tracks and waypoints?)
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-07-15 8:11 PM (#122435 - in reply to #122386)

Veteran

Originally written by flummoxed on 2010-07-14 6:58 PM

Where abouts do you live in Kentucky? We're about 30 minutes away from Red Hill. When you head to RHHC let us know and we'd be happy to show you the trails. We have GPS'd a lot of the trails in all our rides down there. (BTW - does anyone know a site where trail riders share their GPS tracks and waypoints?)

I live in Richmond, ky and have some GPS tracks that I would also like to share, so I too would be interested.
DKB
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2010-07-16 11:16 AM (#122455 - in reply to #122386)

Flummoxed, Thanks for your help. I hale from Shelbyville KY. I've been training for Endurance and have only a few hundred in the 25 mile rides. My goal is a 50 miler before the end of the year, but the weather/heat has put gaps in our training. The trail is our first love... so maybe next year. Another friend and I will be going to Redhill in September and I'll sure post to you the dates, and if you're available would love a trail guide.

Regarding the GPS trail maps sharing idea.... On one of the Endurance Websites is contest by which the entrants post/upload their ride day logs from the GPS for mile verification. Perhaps if you ask some may want to share. Here is the site http://www.my-endurance.net/group/2010VVClassic/forum/topics/track-... People are usually riding from home but some are at Parks/forest. Let me know if it works for you.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)