'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer values and rights after a accident

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-01 10:59 PM
17 replies, 7767 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rockfish
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-29 1:00 PM (#121704)
Subject: Trailer values and rights after a accident

New User

Our 2006 Chapparel trailer is being totalled following a accident after a drunk driver hit us. Having a very difficult time in dealing with the at fault insurance company coming to terms with a fair price for the trailer. One of our biggest issues is we can't replace the trailer we had for what they are offering. Very few (0) used to trailers available in our area that can compare to what we had. If we accept what they are offering we will incurr additional expenses like time and travel to replace our trailer. We feel we should be entitled to the additional expense of having to travel at least 300 miles round trip to get a trailer to repalce ours. Not to mention the expense we incuured to recover our trailer after the accident that happened over 150 miles from our home. Is there any good source to look up used trailer values to base what ours was worth? And, has anyone had to deal with such complicated issue's surrounding totalled trailers. The repair shop is bitting at the chomps to get our trailer and has offered the insurance company a grand for ours after settlement. The insurance company doesn't want the liability associated with repairing our trailer. The repair shop wants to repair trailer and resale for profit. The reapir shop isn't the only after our trailer. Several others are offering money to get the trailer. Seems to us every one is coming out on top but us. We're out a trailer and not enough money to replace it. Can anyone offer advice or help us in this matter?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2010-06-29 2:02 PM (#121706 - in reply to #121704)
Subject: RE: Trailer values and rights after a accident

Veteran

If I were in your shoes, I would get a lawyer. 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-06-29 2:11 PM (#121708 - in reply to #121706)

Expert

Originally written by Hillview on 2010-06-29 3:02 PM

If I were in your shoes, I would get a lawyer. 

DITTO

nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-06-29 3:10 PM (#121711 - in reply to #121704)

Veteran

This is one of the cases where having "Gap" insurance is a possitive.  OR at least having the right kind of coverage on your trailer.  Most of us just get the basic and don't think about replacement costs.  The problem with getting a lawyer is that you have to pay them.  So unless the lawyer can get 33% more than you can on your own, you may end up loosing more money.

Getting values is difficult because very few manufacturers report to Kelly Blue Book or the NADA.  The best way is to check those sources and find compairable brands and do the math.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-06-29 3:43 PM (#121713 - in reply to #121704)

Expert

You don't have to hire a lawyer to represent you in an action. A lawyer can advise you of the best course of action for your problem, whom to contact and exactly what you will need to do to best protect your interests.

Insurance companies have a whole legal department, whose job is to limit the companies' exposure to high payouts and liability. The insurance companies are not there for your best interest, they exist only because of the profits they make. They will do what ever they can to make a minimal payoff.

Having a knowledgeable person advising you of your rights, can save you money in the long run. If necessary. he can represent you to limit your losses. Most of those cases are on a contingency basis, and will only cost you filling expenses if he is unsuccessful.

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-29 4:08 PM (#121714 - in reply to #121704)

Extreme Veteran

Most lawyers will allow you to pay an hourly fee.  One poster suggested that you would have to pay 1/3 to the lawyer.  That is only if you do the contingent fee arrangement, where you don't pay anything unless you recover something. 

At least, talk to a local lawyer to get some advice.  They "don't want to repair the trailer because of liablity" simply makes no sense at all.   Did they not give you the option of buying back your "totaled" trailer? 

I will say that Allstate once told me that my little truck was worth about as much totalled as it was in perfect condition - The company employees had people they wanted to route it to.  Of course I no longer use Allstate.    It sounds like you are experiencing something similar.

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-06-29 4:13 PM (#121715 - in reply to #121704)

Extreme Veteran

Is your insurance helping you get it settled? If not they should be. Also I am sure you are entitled to any expenses of recovering the trailer after the accident. I am sure if you show them what is for sale at what price you can negotiate a better price if it is justified. Everything is negotiable until you sign your rights away.
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-06-29 6:33 PM (#121725 - in reply to #121704)

Regular

My Sebring car was totalled three weeks ago by my nephew, who fell asleep while driving, so we've had a recent experience with insurance agents. I know a car is different than a trailer, but here's what we learned.

We had a rider on the car that would pay for our rental while we were waiting for our car to be fixed. I wasn't even really aware we had it, but our local insurance agent informed us of the fact. We didn't need to rent a car as I had my daughter's to use in the meantime, so that money wasn't paid out to us. If we hadn't have that seperate rider rental wouldn't have been covered. So I'm suspicous that your expenses of hauling horses home after the accident won't be covered unless you have something seperate in place.

As for the price of your trailer, the best thing to do is to talk to trailer dealers and ask them exactly what you would pay for a trailer of you brand, age and condition if you bought it through them. If they will give you answers in writing, better yet. Or print off their listings off the internet. Also, go onto sites such as this one, and look up trailers similar to yours, and what the costs are. Try to get as close as possible to brand, year, features and condition. These things will help prove what your trailer is worth to replace, and will help you in your arguement with the insurance agent.

I'm afraid that they likely will not pay you for your time and distance to travel to purchase a new trailer. Instead they will give you the value of the trailer (hopefully) and then how far you travel, and how much that costs you is your responsibility. In their opinion you could buy a different brand nearer to home and get the same features, if you want to spend more to travel they will consider that your choice and your expense.

We were not offered the right to purchase our car, and we wouldn't have anyhow.  But we were told that we could take things out of the car that belonged to us and not the car. For example, the spare tire was ours. We were told we could take the good tires as long as we replaced them with 4 "driveable" tires. So I suspect you also own some of the features in your trailer. If you're recently purchased new tires, you may be able to take them and put on old, beat-up ones. But check with your insurance agent before going further, the last thing you need is to have them charging you with theft!

I was pleasantly surprised with how well we were paid out. We had bought our Sebring used for about $9200, (it was a really good deal, we shopped around for a long time) We used it two years, put on 50,000 km, and were paid out $8200, minus our $500 deductable. Now, if we'd have paid several thousand more for the car, it wouldn't have seemed like such a fair payment. So I suspect you'll find the same thing with your trailer. If you got a pretty good deal at the time, then your payout will seem better. If you paid an arm and a leg you probably won't be quite so happy with the payout.

Good luck. Hopefully none of your horses were hurt in the accident.

Pampered Horse
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-06-29 7:47 PM (#121727 - in reply to #121704)

Sending you a private p.m.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-06-30 7:01 AM (#121740 - in reply to #121704)

Extreme Veteran

I had a bad accident back in September, a no fault where I hit a tree in the fog that had fallen across the road. My truck and brand new, had it 6 weeks, LQ trailer were totalled. We have insurance with State Farm in Texas. I have to say they went out of their way to make us happy. They searched out a value and paid us $5000 more for the trailer than we gave for it due to the economy's pricing. Also when we bought the trailer ( and the replacement) we had the GAP insurance put into place for just this reason. Also wanted to note that if you dont have US Rider, then you need it. US Rider would of paid for many of your bills since the accident was not your fault. They would of gotten you home. Its only a little over $100 a year for this great service and has so many additional perks.  Everyone needs to set down and review their trailer insurance and what is covered and how, and join US Rider. As to your problem, was the drunk driver insured ? If so then your insurance company should go after his in a suit after they satisfactorily pay your claim.  That is what State Farm did when I was in a fender bender in a parking lot that was the other guys fault.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-06-30 7:07 AM (#121741 - in reply to #121704)

Extreme Veteran

Also forgot to say that yes, the insurance company can total it by not wanting the liability of fixing it if there is a possibility of structural damage. We sent pictures of ours to the factory and wanted it fixed. They said they "could" fix it but it would of been expensive. State Farm was concerned about future liability if its structure was compromised from the accident and preferred to total it. This was actually a good thing because they then insured our new one. I was worried we would be dropped after such a huge claim, or it would go up so much we couldnt afford it. LOL But neither happened. I cant say enough good things about our company or our agent. We have been with them almost 30 years.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-06-30 2:35 PM (#121761 - in reply to #121704)

Elite Veteran

Ask for an additional amount above and beyond the value of the trailer replacement called "special damages". This would be the amount to make you "whole" again - and defined as the cost of travel and/or shipping to purchase a replacement trailer.
Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-30 4:15 PM (#121764 - in reply to #121704)

Extreme Veteran

This accident is one where you were damaged by someone's negligence.  Their insurance company is paying you pursuant to their policy.  The person who damaged your property by his negligence must make you whole.  Since the insurance company is stepping into the shoes of the negligent party who damaged you, it must make you whole.  It is not the same as working with your own insuance company.

It is "actual damages"  that you are seeking - enough to make you wholle. 

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-07-01 12:07 AM (#121780 - in reply to #121704)

Expert

I would get legal advice before you talk to the insurance company any more and tell them that 
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-07-01 6:55 AM (#121781 - in reply to #121704)

Expert

Like many of the other post, I had something similar this past Feb,

A lady came through a stop sign and broadsided my daughter. The insurance company decided to total the car. The first offer was basically the wholesale price of the car that a car dealer would pay at the auction. I spent the time to get online and found 8 similar cars that were all at a higher price. Luckily with cars that is very easy to do. I emailed the list to the insurance company and they immediately bumped my offer price. They also added in the sales tax on the cars value and the percentage of this years property taxes prorated by the months unused.

My advice, is do your home work and be prepared to produce proof that the trailer is worth more than their offer. You must use comparables that are in your area. ( no comparables from the other side of the country).  Know that they will use the same source of searching you did and they will be looking for trailers of less value. The "Low Priced" trailers knock out the "Hight Priced" trailers and you can expect to negotiate a offer around the average.

As gard suggested, Insurance companies are in this to make a profit. They do this by taking in more premium than they pay out in claims. They will try to minimize what they pay out. But most states have laws about insurance companies bullying or not making fair offers.  But they are fighting the same battle that you are of finding out "What is a fair price" There are not thousands of trailers  in the local paper that they can compare prices on. Most of the adjusters are not Trailer Savey. They know every model of car on the road. But they have no idea what your trailer is, What came stock at the base price, or what you may have added. It will be your responsibility to educate them.

As far as travel expenses. That's your choice.  As mentioned above they will assume you can buy a "Similar" trailer locally.  So you will probably be jousting windmills to go after that arguement.

ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-07-01 11:57 AM (#121802 - in reply to #121781)

Veteran

I did not read where you said anything about your insurance company. Your agent should be getting you the best possible deal and if a lawyer is needed, your insurance co. already employs lawyers who can help with this issue. We were broad sided going thru a red light and our new bass boat and trailer was destroyed. the offending ins company was offering to buy a new boat and trailer that was significantly of lower quality than the one we had. We had owned ours 2 months. Our insurance company negoiated the new purchase to our satisfaction. It did take some time but was well handled. Our bass boat cost $27,000 when this happened 10 years ago.
blackcows
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-07-01 6:17 PM (#121816 - in reply to #121711)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by nobodyimportant on 2010-06-29 3:10 PM

This is one of the cases where having "Gap" insurance is a possitive.  OR at least having the right kind of coverage on your trailer.  Most of us just get the basic and don't think about replacement costs.  The problem with getting a lawyer is that you have to pay them.  So unless the lawyer can get 33% more than you can on your own, you may end up loosing more money.

Getting values is difficult because very few manufacturers report to Kelly Blue Book or the NADA.  The best way is to check those sources and find compairable brands and do the math.

How would Gap insurance have made a difference?  Isn't gap insurance to cover the difference between the value of the item and the loan so if you are upside down on a loan you don't have to pay the difference?  I don't think gap insurance would pay you more becuase you feel the value of the trailer is higher than the value offered.

Donna l
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-07-01 10:59 PM (#121821 - in reply to #121704)

The only way u will come out on top will be to buy the trailer back from the insurance company and have it repaired. The insurance companies usually deal with a salvage auction company so they get the most for it. If you want to go this route I may be able to help u with this, I would have to see some pictures to see all the damage, u may be surprised what it will cost to fix, if these people want it , it may not cost much to repair. PM me if you are intested
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)