'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
GN on a Toyota Tundra

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-07 9:18 AM
11 replies, 6159 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Tundra Babe
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-01 5:32 PM (#120814)
Subject: GN on a Toyota Tundra

Currently I pull a 2H Steel BP with my 2008 Toyota Tundra. It has the biggest engine available (5.8, I believe) tow package, etc. I would really like to upgrade to a 2H GN LQ. Towing capacity for this truck is 10,500, but the truck is crew cab and the bed is maybe 5.5' to 6'long. My first guess is to look for all aluminum, and a slanted front on the GN. Can you make any recommendations as to what to look for?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
conner
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-06-01 6:35 PM (#120815 - in reply to #120814)
Subject: RE: GN on a Toyota Tundra

I have a friend with a Tundra and he pulls an Aluminum Cherokee, 3 horse slant with a weekend package. After two years, he has had no problems. He got rid of a Dodge diesel because of of all the Dodge problems and poor warranty work. He thinks the Tundra is the real deal and claims he can run with the big boys on the Interstate. I have followed him and that Tundra will run!! Good Luck.
motochris
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-06-01 6:48 PM (#120816 - in reply to #120814)

First thing is finding a 2H LQ GN under 10,500 GVWR. May be a challenge in itself. No question aluminum is going to be needed.

Start looking and ask that important question right off...."What's the GVWR on that trailer?"

If trailer rating is higher than what the truck is rated for, you can get in trouble...especially if you have an accident. I'de be shooting for under 10,000lb GVWR myself. The other thing is to see what the truck is rated to haul including itself AND trailer (GCVWR...Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating). Many times the tow rating is just what it is rated to pull, but a crewcab truck may be heavy enough to reduce the overall weight limit you can add to the truck. You take the GCVWR and subtract the weight of the actual truck...what's left is your max towing capacity.

Once you find some trailers within your weight window...then compare the trailers themselves to figure what's going to be best for you.

Edited by motochris 2010-06-01 6:50 PM
Tundra Babe
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-02 8:10 AM (#120828 - in reply to #120814)

Excellent. That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-06-02 9:22 AM (#120830 - in reply to #120814)

Extreme Veteran

You may also want to consider your trucks GVWR (7200 lbs). Your trucks wet and loaded weight is about 6,000 lbs leaving you 1200 lbs for hitch weight. Not to mention the ~100 lbs for the hitch. You can pretty much bet on 17-25% of the gvwr of the trailer to be the hitch weight. Ex. 10,000 lbs gvwr of trailer would have anywhere from 1700-2500 lbs of hitch weight depending on how it was built. Could it be done? Sure. Would I do it? Nope.

IMHO, I would stick with a trailer of 7-8k gvwr and no more--which may be hard to find.

A guy we ride with pulls a small steel 2H weekender gooseneck with a Chevy 1/2 ton and it does it, but not happily. He is starting to have a lot of issues with the truck....

If it were me, I would stick with BP's for 1/2 tons, but to each their own. I have a 3/4 ton diesel for my gooseneck and wouldn't want anything less just for the secure feeling of having a 10k+ lb trailer behind me. Brakes, etc.

Good luck!

statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2010-06-02 10:25 AM (#120832 - in reply to #120814)

Veteran

The Tundra may pull a big load (engine HP & torque) but I doubt it will last in the long run. 1/2T rigs have different axle setups and are not designed to handle the weight on a regular or long term basis that the 3/4 & 1T rigs are. Can it pull it? Probably. Are you planning on keeping it after the factory warranty is up? :-)Finding a lighter trailer can be difficult- the variance on weight is enormous. Some trailers of roughly the same size can be 2-3X as heavy as others (even all aluminum trailers can vary a great deal).Our Merhow Verylite for example- I would put it middle of the road for quality. Fine build but not the fit and finish of a 4Star/Elite/Bloomer. It does shine in the weight department- our 4H w/ 4' SW trailer tips the scales at only 4897# with most of our "stuff" in the trailer (stuff in LQ, dishes N what not- no saddles). Vin tag posted the factory weight as 4400# new.It is probably a bit more now that I have put on 16" E range tires (vs. the 15" D range it came with).
Tundra Babe
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-02 12:57 PM (#120839 - in reply to #120814)

Great info. Changing gears here, and hoping not to start a hot debate- I have also looked at the Lakota BP LQ's. I know there is tons of info on them here somewhere- a better idea for the Tundra? With WDB, of course.... I am asking- would this be a better option, or just dump the whole new trailer idea and start looking at lightweight pop-up truck campers...
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-06-02 1:31 PM (#120841 - in reply to #120814)

Extreme Veteran

Is your truck the "crewmax" (extended crew cab) or the standard crew cab? I think the bed is too short on the Crewmax for a GN or truck camper, but they may make the TC's now to fit--Haven't searched much...

Those BP LQ trailers are neat and may be a good option. Like this:

http://www.livingquarterhorsetrailers.com/horse-trailer.aspx?stock=12383

That one may be okay with WDB and sway control. You'll probably need Timbren SES load boosters or air bags to keep the rear from sagging a lot. I have Timbrens on my 250 to keep it level with about 2k of hitch weight and I love them.

I ran the truck camper/ steel 2H bumper pull trailer combo for a long time on a half ton. It was fine and worked well. I had an 8' bed and an 8' camper, which was "just big enough" for 2 people. They make some lightweight 6' ones now that combined with your hitch weight, you'd still be under the limits.

Tundras have loads of power, but the weight ratings are lacking and make it difficult to find a good camper/trailer set up as is every 1/2 tonner.

nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-06-02 1:57 PM (#120843 - in reply to #120839)

Veteran

You are probably not going to be happy with any truck campers that will fit in the back of your truck bed either.  The Tundra is a nice truck, it's just not set up for what you want to use it for.  I have no opinion on the lq bp's from Lakota.  Their are several Lakota owners on this forum that could tell you about how much they like Lakota.  The one's I've found on websites and saw at the Congress last fall were all old units that were on dealers lots for a long time.  That would indicate that they are either over priced or something isn't right about them.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-06-02 2:14 PM (#120844 - in reply to #120843)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by nobodyimportant on 2010-06-02 2:57 PM

You are probably not going to be happy with any truck campers that will fit in the back of your truck bed either.  The Tundra is a nice truck, it's just not set up for what you want to use it for.  I have no opinion on the lq bp's from Lakota.  Their are several Lakota owners on this forum that could tell you about how much they like Lakota.  The one's I've found on websites and saw at the Congress last fall were all old units that were on dealers lots for a long time.  That would indicate that they are either over priced or something isn't right about them.

Truck campers are pretty uncomfortable (cramped) anyway. Not to mention the loading and unloading is very involved and cannot be done in a hurry.

I think the main issue with the BP Lq trailers is they weigh about the same and cost about the same as a comparable GN, but with the added cost and hassle of WDBs, sway control, etc. The difference is the axle placement. Usually , the axles on a GN will be placed further toward the rear of the trailer which increases the weight on the truck. BP's axles are a little more forward and has a lighter tongue weight.  Think a BP toy hauler with a lower center of gravity. I think they are more geared toward SUV owners.

Tundra Babe
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-03 9:20 AM (#120875 - in reply to #120814)

Hubby wanted the Tundra and with all the improvements on towing capacity, braking, etc, we thought we were doing well for his boat and my trailer. I agree, the Lakota's have some serious price issues, and even the used ones do not seem to be coming down at all. I like the lower tongue weight.. of course sway is a concern. I agree about the truck campers... not my first choice. A real pain to crawl up into some days! Thanks for all the advice...
oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-06-07 9:18 AM (#120946 - in reply to #120814)

Regular

One of my friends ordered a 2 horse gooseneck (I think it is a Featherlight) weekender package for her Tundra (she already had the truck). Of course we don't have big mountains in OK to have to pull up or stop on a steep grade.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)