'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
??Gooseneck hauling - polling the masses..???

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-22 11:16 AM
35 replies, 9735 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-17 9:23 AM (#120266 - in reply to #120158)
Subject: RE: ??Gooseneck hauling - polling the masses..???

Extreme Veteran

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I can't edit to include the questions in a single post.

OK, what about this as a third anchor point for  the be cable?  Run a separte cable from under the bed, through  one of he holes made for the chain anchor points so that there is a separte anchor point at the same location as one of the chain anchor points?

It keeps the be cable near the hitch so that it doesn't get pulled accidentally, and doesn't require a separte anchor point to be installed.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-05-17 9:24 AM (#120267 - in reply to #120265)

Expert

Originally written by Phoresic on 2010-05-17 10:14 AM

I wanted to add a question.  Is there a place to find this kind of law about pulling trailers in various states?  I've seen the sites that have the list of general trailer pulling laws, but this is a bit more specific than anything I've seen.  Thanks.

Check with your state's local DMV/DOT, until then use this.  http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

I hook my emergency brake clip to the center, side stake pocket hole... It's got nothing to do with the goosenck hitch.

Edited by retento 2010-05-17 9:26 AM
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-05-17 10:36 AM (#120270 - in reply to #120158)

Veteran

Just a heads up...be careful what is in the back of your truck. We had a situation where a toolbox vibrated back and caught the EB cable that was attached to a seperate anchor point. It pulled the cable going uphill and activated the EB. NOT FUN!! Recommend that you secure everything that is in the truck bed.
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-05-17 1:39 PM (#120281 - in reply to #120158)

Regular

I use my safety chains each time, but have always hooked my emergency brake to the same hook as one of the chains. I'm not sure if I understand the rational of why it needs to be someplace else. Is the theory that if something causes the ball to come unhooked, that same "something" could cause the chain hooks to also come loose? That doesn't seem likely - my understanding is that most times when a trailer comes unhooked its because 1) someone didn't fasten the trailer onto the ball properly 2) Damage to the ball itself.

As for the chains holding, I can votch that they can and will, even with a loaded trailer and at speed. Here's my story. Years ago I went on a big Cancer Trail ride 45 minutes away. When my husband hooked up our stock trailer to the one ton truck, the ball wouldn't snap into position properly. It just needed to be drove ahead a foot or so, and the change of position would have allowed it to snap into place. (It was getting to be an older trailer, and the sleeve on the ball was stiff if you weren't quite straight) But at the same time he noticed I had a tire that was a bit low. He thought that he'd drive the trailer up to the shop where he could fill the tire, and at the same time snap the sleeve onto the ball properly. Well, you can guess the story. The tire was more work than he'd expected, and he forgot to go back and snap the trailer onto the ball properly. Half hour later I'm driving down the road, going about 60 miles/hour. I'd drove about 20 minutes, hit some heaves in the road, and in my rear view mirror saw my trailer rise up a bit and then a cloud of sparks behind me! The trailer had come off the ball and was being pulled behind me, now with the nose riding on the pavement (that was the sparks)

I managed to stop without problems (thankfully it was a crew cab long box truck, so it had alot of weight and size to control things) and my horse was looked upset but was totally unhurt. Neighbors came along, and using a jack we were able to lift the trailer back onto the ball, fasten it properly and I made it to the Cancer ride without further problems.

I'm sure my horse would have been killed without the chains. It was a stupid thing to happen, totally our fault, but mistakes happen, especially when you get busy and don't finish one job before starting another.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-05-17 4:01 PM (#120282 - in reply to #120264)

Expert

Originally written by Phoresic on 2010-05-17 9:10 AM

OK then, I'll check into other options for anchoring the be cable for the gn.   I have a B & W Turnover Ball hitch.  It's not obvious where that would be and it is odd that there isn't a separate anchor point provided.   I'm interested to hear the ideas on the relative length of the be cable as well.  Is it illegal in some states, then, to connect the be cable to the chain anchor point on a B & W Tunronever Ball hitch?

Thanks!

It's easy on a bumper pull to fasten the be cable to a third anchor point so it is never an issue there. 

It's not odd there is no anchor point on the B&W hitch, as the cable is NOT supposed to be attached to the hitch.  On my GMC I have it hooked to the factory tie down at the driver side rear of the bed.  The length of the break away cable will cause debate, personally my break away cables are longer than the chains, as is my electrical cord.  The last thing you want to do in any unstable situation; blown tire, too fast into curve, loss of traction in rain or snow, trailer hooked to truck only by chains.....is slam on the brakes.  Pretty much everyone I know who has had a trailer come off the ball had little problem maintaining control.  The slack was taken up in the chains as the trailer slowed on it's own (lack of power and wind drag I would assume) and other than needing a fresh pair of shorts, they more or less coasted to a stop.  Probably even less of an issue with a GN as the chains, or tailgate could contain the trailer and it won't drag on the road like a BP can.

Phoresic
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-18 9:14 AM (#120306 - in reply to #120158)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the informative thread.

So, if the gn were to come off the ball and is loose in the bed of the truck: 1) you want the chains to hold it while you stop with the controller, 2) you want the brakes to remain connected so you can operate the trailer brakes through you contoller.  3) Only after you lose that connection do you actually have to have the be brake acitvate.

This has been a great thread (along with the links to older threads) and has really clarified certain things for me relating to the gooseneck connections. 

I am thinking that my be cable is a bit too short, but will connect it today and see if it is.  It's a new-to-me trailer and I need to do some work on the be brake system anyway. My current plan is to connect it to the truck bed connector that is in the back corner of the bottom of the bed.  I initially thought that would put it too far back, but my wiring should still be connected at that time since the plug in cable is quite long.  Otherwise, connecting it over to the center sidewall hole on the top of the bed wall (that pre-made hole into which you put sidewall posts) - but I still need for it to be long enough to not activate until I've had a chance to stop it with the controller. 

Sound right?

Any opinions on connecting the trailer's electrical by going over the tailgate and connecting to the bumper as opposed to having a plug in in the bed?  Old truck has a plug-in place in the bed.  Newer truck does not.  The electrical cable is plenty long enough to easily reach bumper by going over the tailgate.

Thanks!

BTW, whoever said that backing a gn was as easy as backing a bp is wrong lol.  The precision isn't there for me yet anyway. 

statzk
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2010-05-18 9:50 AM (#120310 - in reply to #120306)

Veteran

BTW, whoever said that backing a gn was as easy as backing a bp is wrong lol.  The precision isn't there for me yet anyway. 

Funny you say that- I have only driven a GN trailer for 3 years and had to back a boat down a ramp and I totally sucked at it because it was so different than my GN. Sadly, I would have had no trouble backing my 32' GN trailer down that ramp but an 18' BP boat trailer took me about 4 tries to get it in straight. :-) It all depends on what you are used to!
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-05-18 1:43 PM (#120319 - in reply to #120306)

Expert

All of this reminded me of a strange looking accident that we saw Sunday near where we live.I don't think there was a fatality,the driver must have been wearing the seat belt.

There is a 4 lane divided highway around  the city of Jonesboro,AR.On approach to an overpass,of which there are several on this highway,it looked as if the driver of a 1/2T truck pulling a NICE outboard boat/motor crossed over and struck the very end of the guardrail.In turn,it appeared as if the truck then went into the NARROW (no room for error there) median and overturned on its' top.The boat was still sitting upright on the trailer.There was no sign of damage to the boat as I would think there would have been had the entire rig overturned,boat,trailer,and truck.Had to wonder if the hitch pin came out of the BP hitch collar,or what happened to allow the truck to twist and overturn in that manner while leaving that boat and trailer upright and still all intact.It was a strange looking sight.Thankfully,the vehicle DID overturn right in that narrow grass median and did not cross over into the oncoming traffic lanes or things would have been much worse.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-05-18 10:24 PM (#120336 - in reply to #120158)

Expert

this is a good posting thank you I put my cable to the area near the chains just a little shorter
lilcashseeker
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-05-21 3:25 PM (#120432 - in reply to #120158)

Hurricane Survivor

Thanks for all the input. I was looking for clarification and I got it. 50
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-05-22 11:16 AM (#120454 - in reply to #120306)

Veteran

I had a similar situation. New,to me, gooseneck and truck. The electrical cable was plenty long enough to plug into the existing receptacle next the the receiver hitch under the bumper. Thought I'd save the money by not having the truck bed receptacle installed.

Two hundred miles from home I turned sharply leaving a gas station. The cord got hooked on something and when I straightened out it was pulled in two. I was able to find someone to wire it back together for the rest of the way home but the first thing I did there was get the truck bed receptacle installed.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)