'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Steel frame Aluminum skin VS. All Aluminum

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-16 7:43 AM
6 replies, 16613 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kcspot
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-12 3:37 PM (#120069)
Subject: Steel frame Aluminum skin VS. All Aluminum

We've looked at both (with LQ) and are wondering about the pro's and con's of going with the steel frame over aluminum...especially when it would come time to trading or selling it in the future.  We've heard the people really shy away from the steel frames...we're looking for your opinion.  Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-05-13 8:56 AM (#120099 - in reply to #120069)
Subject: RE: Steel frame Aluminum skin VS. All Aluminum

Expert

I think it depends on the area of the country you live in, and the market you are trying to sell into.

If you are trying to sell to folks who are looking at top tier trailers like 4Star, Platinum, Hart etc, They are not going to consider a Aluminum skin/steel framed trailer. If you are selling into the mid range customer, they are going to be comparing your used aluminum over steel against a new trailer, and comparing a used price vs a new price.

I've owned two all aluminum trailers, and I've owned two Aluminum over steel trailers. From a performance stand point, I've had no problems with either type.  I had just as hard of time selling my all aluminum LQ as I did my Aluminum/Steel LQ.  And the sales price for both was about the same percent of the original for both. I can't say one depreciated more rapidly than the other.

I live in northern Utah, I use my trailer year round. Utah salts their roads in the winter, since we have an abundance of cheap salt from the Great Salt Lake. I haul out to Antelope Island almost every week in winter (an island in the Great Salt Lake that is accessed by a causeway). Salt spray gets on the road  and probably on my trailers from driving there. And I don't see any rust or deteriation on my current 2006 model steel framed trailer.

I really think this comes down to personal choice and budget. I sure wouldn't pay the same price for a Aluminum over Steel frame trailer as an all Aluminum trailer. But if the price is right and the trailer has the features you like, I would consider it.

Edited by Painted Horse 2010-05-13 8:59 AM
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-05-13 9:13 AM (#120100 - in reply to #120069)

Expert

I agree with painted horse. I also owned and sold a aluminum/steel trailer that worked fine and held up with use. I sold it to buy a LQ trailer ( and didn't have problems selling it). Now I did notice rust on the steel portions of the trailer but I suppose living in Michigan thats going to happen.I knew I wasn't going to buy a steel trailer and my current trailer is all alumuim and suits my needs. If the trailer is in good shape and well maintained..price it right and it will sell. Keep it up and you'll have a long ,happy life with your trailer...this goes for any kind of material.
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2010-05-13 11:40 AM (#120102 - in reply to #120069)

Veteran

You should expand your discussion to distinguish between steel frame/alum skin and galvanized frame/alum skin.  I have built both and I can tell you that these are 2 distinct products with varying durabilities.  For the record, I build all aluminum trailers too. 

Also, there was a discussion last week of one manufacturer having bare uncoated steel with alum sheet (bonded with VHB) on outside.  Corner cutting like this can greatly change the durability of your trailer.  Do your research and understand the manfacturing process.

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct at DoubleDTrailers.com

DocBL
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-15 9:31 AM (#120188 - in reply to #120069)

New User

Sure both will git r done BUT the reality is that steel will rust eventually. I live in NC and it is almost impossible to sell a trailer with a steel frame in my part of the state and I am not even by the shore where it is worse

I believe that the only reason to buy a trailer with a steel fram is budget

kcspot
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-15 9:35 PM (#120210 - in reply to #120069)

We appreciate everyones input on this subject.  At this point, we've decided against anything but all aluminum.  Really, for us, the main reason is resale.  Sure, there are those that will buy steel, but not near as many as those that want all aluminum.  We looked at a CM and were surprised to find that it was steel framed, aluminum skinned, and had a wood floor.  Now, you can't tell me that those things weren't the reason for the gal having it for sale for the past six months with no buyers.  Our budget is 35K, on down, and confident we can get what we're wanting at that price.  With that said, it also seems to be a very popular price on LQ trailers...they're there and then gone in a hurry!  Thanks again!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-16 7:43 AM (#120216 - in reply to #120069)

Expert

Steel frames have been around as long as we've had horse trailers. It's a good material, relatively inexpensive, easy to work and quite strong. Using it in its base form, rust issues have ruined the reputation of a few trailer manufacturers.

However newer variants, galvaneal, galvalume and new paint systems, have greatly improved the life spans of the steel frames. By combining these materials with the same aluminum skins as an all aluminum trailer, manufactures can now build a trailer that will have the appearance of an all aluminum trailer. They can maintain a lower production cost, and in many parts of the country, have a long lasting, viable product.

Many people have learned of the advantages of all aluminum trailers, and have, and are willing to, pay more for this material. To counteract the loss of these sales, some steel frame manufactures have resorted to false claims about the durability, effective strengths and abnormal maintenance of aluminum materials and ownership.

This has created some confusion to first time buyers, who are unaware of the facts and believe all that is written. Fortunately forums such as this one, can educate these people by the testimonials of actual owners. They can express their personal experiences and relate actual events. These are more valuable than the erroneous information often gleaned from sales brochures.

Don't discount the value of steel trailers. They have their place and are well respected by many owners. Don't discount the value of an aluminum trailer. There are many owners that will disprove the fictional accounts, made by the steel frame manufacturers about aluminum materials. Listen to the owners, not the sales people.

BOL  Gard

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)