'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Used Brenderups in the Midwest—why so few?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-05-09 8:10 PM
24 replies, 13616 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Black Bay
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-05 4:00 PM (#119762)
Subject: Used Brenderups in the Midwest—why so few?

After a failed attempt to bargain with a Brenderup dealer on a new Solo trailer, we are now looking at used ones. Brenderup is the only brand our SUV can pull, but being in Minnesota leaves me very few options since virtually all used B-ups are on the east or west coasts. I know there are dealers in Minnesota and Wisconsin, so there must be owners around here. Does anyone have any thoughts on why there are so few used Brenderup trailers in the middle of the country?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-05 5:08 PM (#119767 - in reply to #119762)
Subject: RE: Used Brenderups in the Midwest—why so few?

Expert

Unless you are specifically considering the single stall Brenderup model, there are other manufacturers that build comparable weight 2H BP trailers. They have more features, better pricing and similar or lower trailer weights. They can be towed by most SUVs.
Black Bay
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-05 6:09 PM (#119768 - in reply to #119767)

What brands? I thought that tongue weight on most trailers, even the lighter-weight ones, are too much for SUVs such as ours (Honda Pilot). One specific thread here discussed that very model of SUV and the consensus was that B-ups were the only brand that the Pilot could handle. I'm a complete newbie to trailering, but this is my understanding.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-05-05 6:13 PM (#119769 - in reply to #119762)

Expert

The use of a weight distributing hitch with anti-sway bar can help you a great deal in that regard.... just a tidbit...
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2010-05-05 6:16 PM (#119770 - in reply to #119762)

Elite Veteran

Did you work with Cathy?
summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-05 9:14 PM (#119777 - in reply to #119762)

Maybe we're just more used to metal trailers in this neck of the woods. I don't think I've ever seen one in person other than one I saw at Expo. I didn't realize there were dealers so close though. Don't they ever get trade-ins? It's surprising to hear they wouldn't deal with you. Can't imagine those thing$ are flying off the lots.
Black Bay
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-06 9:13 AM (#119795 - in reply to #119770)

I did speak with Cathy--briefly. She was not in the least bit open to dickering.

Edited by Black Bay 2010-05-06 9:15 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-06 9:34 AM (#119796 - in reply to #119768)

Expert

Originally written by Black Bay on 2010-05-05 7:09 PM

What brands? I thought that tongue weight on most trailers, even the lighter-weight ones, are too much for SUVs

Many 2H BP trailers have their axles biased towards the rear of the trailer. If there is any type of dressing room, the combination will effect a great deal of tongue weight, which can easily exceed the hitch loading specifications of many SUVs.

If a trailer is made with the axles placed more forward and a minimal dressing area is included, the tongue weight is lower, and you have the idea behind a Brenderup. I can't seem to get on their web site today, so much of the following is from memory.

Their stand up "dressing" area is accessed from basically a hatch, into which you climb, and by elevating the manger floor, you will encounter a very small area with a standing head room. You must remember to unload the horses first, as they will be very upset when their chins and heads are suddenly moved upwards by their eating area as you enter.

The trailer is built overseas and assembled in the US. It has small wheels, lightweight axles, and a mechanically operated surge braking system. It is an innovative design, quite aerodynamic and constructed of quality materials. For these features, I remember some of the pricing to be ~ $15K.

Blue Ribbon Trailers of North Jackson, Ohio makes a trailer called a "Colt". It is an all aluminum 2 place BP trailer with a standard head room of 7', an aerodynamically "V" nose and a weight almost the same as the larger Brenderups. It has an interesting interior design, that allows the same trailer to be used as a straight or slant load, depending on the placement of the standard divider.

It is very well constructed. The framing is 6061 T6 aluminum, some of the strongest available and commonly found in aircraft. The flooring is made from 5 thousand series aluminum planks, again in a T6 heat treatment. This is considered a marine grade aluminum, and has a higher resistance to corrosion. The trailer can be modified with any option, as each one is custom built to your specifications. An eight foot ceiling, tail gate, different rear doors, windows, insulation, basically anything that can be attached, fabricated and welded, can be added as an option.

It has 15" tires, 3500# axles with electric brakes and a tongue and total weight very similar to the 2 place Brenderups. It features a full height front escape door, drop down windows and a base price of ~$8500. It can be pulled by most SUVs. It is wholly made in the US by very skilled personnel, and it can be purchased directly from the factory.

No I am NOT affiliated with Leonard Trailers. I have been to their factory and obviously impressed by what I observed. My next new trailer will be a Blue Ribbon. The "Colt" is an excellent alternative to the 2 place Brenderups, at a lower price. It has more interior room and loading capacities, and can be customized in many ways allowing it to be also used as a toy hauler when your wife isn't showing.

I would not recommend using a Volvo as a tow vehicle for this trailer.

summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-06 9:54 AM (#119797 - in reply to #119762)

Just checked out the Blue Ribbons for sale on HTW - Gard's right, seems like you get a lot for the money. For instance, here's a brand new Colt:

http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=227417
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-05-06 10:04 AM (#119799 - in reply to #119762)

Expert

Another glib:

http://www.blueribbontrailers.com/trailers/horse/horse-trailers-colt_trailer_specs.html

Black Bay
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-06 10:08 AM (#119800 - in reply to #119797)

Originally written by summit_bound on 2010-05-06 9:54 AM

Just checked out the Blue Ribbons for sale on HTW - Gard's right, seems like you get a lot for the money. For instance, here's a brand new Colt: http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=227417

I'm happy to see there are other options and I appreciate the information. However, the base price of the Colt isn't much less than a Solo (one horse) Brenderup ($9000, plus $500 delivery fee). I do like how the Colt converts to a slant. And I imagine the dealer may be more likely to bargain.

blueribbontrailers
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2010-05-06 10:46 AM (#119802 - in reply to #119762)

New User

Your Blue Ribbon Dealer in Appleton, Wi, Millard Trailer Sales, has all aluminum very versatile two horse trailers that weigh only 1900# with less than 200# tongue weight.  I believe there is one at his satellite lot in Blooming Prairie, MN.  Think he has them starting at $8990.  Give Scott a call at 920-538-1760.  Or you can call Me at Blue Ribbon Trailers - 330-565-2685.  This will exceed your expectations! 
Black Bay
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-06 11:41 AM (#119808 - in reply to #119802)

Originally written by blueribbontrailers on 2010-05-06 10:46 AM

Your Blue Ribbon Dealer in Appleton, Wi, Millard Trailer Sales, has all aluminum very versatile two horse trailers that weigh only 1900# with less than 200# tongue weight.  I believe there is one at his satellite lot in Blooming Prairie, MN.  Think he has them starting at $8990.  Give Scott a call at 920-538-1760.  Or you can call Me at Blue Ribbon Trailers - 330-565-2685.  This will exceed your expectations! 

Good to know! Blooming Prairie is a lot closer than Appleton. Thanks for the info.

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-05-07 12:37 PM (#119852 - in reply to #119762)

Extreme Veteran

If you are serious and keeping horses as a long term hobby I would get a proper towing vehicle.

Pilots are just not for towing a trailer with a  horse in it.

genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-05-07 2:14 PM (#119866 - in reply to #119762)

Elite Veteran

I believe there is one at his satellite lot in Blooming Prairie, MN.

Who has the satellite lot in Blooming Prairie or where is it? Just went through there the last two days and didn't see anthing. I would be curious what else they might have.

Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-05-07 5:13 PM (#119881 - in reply to #119762)

Extreme Veteran

You might want to check out the Eclipse website, www.eclipsehorsetrailers.com.  There is a two horse aluminum straight load, 80" wide and 7'6" inside height, that weighs under 2500# and sells for under $7,000. 
Winston
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-05-08 5:32 AM (#119900 - in reply to #119762)

I suspect that there are few in the Midwest simply over their high cost and the types of horse sports that may be more popular there. Brenderups seem to more popular among the dressage crowd -- at least that is my perception. My guess is that dressage is not as popular there as it is on the two coasts.

Folks who have never pulled a Brenderup often hate them. Folks who have pulled them, generally love them. Their main downside in my opinion (other than cost) is lack of storage. Plus, if you need to haul more than two horses at a time, you need to look elsewhere.

I have a Royal TC. It pulls like a dream. They are great trailers. Another reason you don't see too many for sale is that owners tend to hold onto them.

I would suggest that you search for local & regional dressage groups in your region and read their recent newsletters that are online. Sometimes you can find Brenderups for sale there. Ditto the regional 3-day eventing & hunter/jumper groups.

Do you have a website aimed at your state? Check there too. Here in Virginia there is virginiaequestrian.com. I have noticed that some folks tend to advertise there, but no where else.

Your search is also more difficult because you are looking for the least popular Brenderup.

Have you checked out the German made trailer that is somewhat similar?

Good luck in your search.
Black Bay
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-08 11:23 AM (#119908 - in reply to #119900)

After much consideration, I think traditional, aluminum-frame trailers--even the small ones--are not going to work with a Honda Pilot.

Thanks, Winston. Good to hear from a B-up owner and I appreciate your suggestions. We do actually have a pretty healthy dressage interest in this area (although it's not as big as on the coasts, I'm sure). Maybe I can post on some of their sites.

I want to keep my "footprint" as small as possible. I only have one horse with no plans for a second, and don't plan to do much with the trailer other than getting my horse from point A to point B, so the Solo is perfect for my needs.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice and suggestions.
Winston
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-05-08 4:13 PM (#119912 - in reply to #119762)

I hope it's ok to post this.
Equinehits.com has a 2006 Brenderup Solo listed for sale for $7,000. The location is Arena, WI.
Winston
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-05-08 4:16 PM (#119913 - in reply to #119762)

There is also a 2003 Solo in N.J. on this website for $4,950.
Maybe you could pick up a cheap flight, come look at the trailer and if you buy it, someone on this forum could give you ideas on getting it transported to your home. Just a thought.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-05-09 8:38 AM (#119927 - in reply to #119908)

Expert

Originally written by Black Bay on 2010-05-08 12:23 PM

After much consideration, I think traditional, aluminum-frame trailers--even the small ones--are not going to work with a Honda Pilot. Thanks, Winston. Good to hear from a B-up owner and I appreciate your suggestions. We do actually have a pretty healthy dressage interest in this area (although it's not as big as on the coasts, I'm sure). Maybe I can post on some of their sites. I want to keep my "footprint" as small as possible. I only have one horse with no plans for a second, and don't plan to do much with the trailer other than getting my horse from point A to point B, so the Solo is perfect for my needs. Thanks, everyone, for your advice and suggestions.

http://www.mrtrailer.com/brenderuptour.htm

http://www.mrtruck.net/qstour5.htm

http://www.coloradohorsetrailers.net/

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-05-09 9:17 AM (#119928 - in reply to #119762)

Elite Veteran

A Honda Pilot is too small to pull anything bigger than a fat person. What is the major attraction to these Brenderup trailers? I know that they are very small and light, but they still need at least a half ton chassis to pull... What is objectionable about a steel or aluminum trailer? they are more "main stream" , and will have quicker re-sale. Brenderups look like they would not withstand an accident, don't you want something more substantial around your horse???
summit_bound
Reg. Apr 2010
Posted 2010-05-09 9:50 AM (#119931 - in reply to #119928)

Originally written by calamityj on 2010-05-09 9:17 AM

A Honda Pilot is too small to pull anything bigger than a fat person.?

Do you have the numbers to back up that claim? Just wondering what the poster actually knows about Honda Pilots.

I think the question here isn't what do people have "for" Brenderups. It's why is there such a bias against them from "mainstream" trailer people.

don't you want something more substantial around your horse??

Is aluminum or steel more durable/safe/substantial than fiberglass? Is the design of any aluminum or steel trailer better than a Brenderup such that an accident could be avoided in the first place? It's assumptions and claims like this poster is making that create biases in the first place. I'd like to see actual statistics and facts.

Edited by summit_bound 2010-05-09 9:52 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-05-09 11:01 AM (#119934 - in reply to #119928)

Expert

Originally written by calamityj on 2010-05-09 10:17 AM

A Honda Pilot is too small to pull anything bigger than a fat person. What is the major attraction to these Brenderup trailers? I know that they are very small and light, but they still need at least a half ton chassis to pull... What is objectionable about a steel or aluminum trailer? they are more "main stream" , and will have quicker re-sale. Brenderups look like they would not withstand an accident, don't you want something more substantial around your horse???

Hey Jane... You might check you homework again....

http://www.brenderuprealtrailers.com/news.htm

TOW VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS

For BRENDERUP TRAILERS you need an engine developing a minimum of 120-horse power and a wheel-base as short as 93 inches. The degree by which your current vehicle exceeds these minimums is an indication of its suitability to accommodate a Brenderup. THAT MEANS ANY NUMBER OF SUITABLE TOW VEHICLES ( a big truck is, of course, fine if that is your preference.)

Examples of vehicles that will safely tow and stop a BRENDERUP - - in no particular order.

Mercedes Benz ML Series
Lexus LX 470, RX300
Acura- MDX
Chevrolet- Astro Van, Venture Van, Blazer, S-Series & Tahoe
Dodge- Caravan, Dakota, Durango
Ford- Ranger, Explorer
Honda- Passport, Pilot
Isuzu- Trooper, Axiom, Rodeo
Jeeps- ALL
Land Rovers- ALL
Mazda- MPV Van, B-Series (Most)
Mitsubishi- Montero LS
Nissan- Pathfinder, Quest Van, Xterra
Toyota- 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Highlander
Volvo- XC90, V70
Volkswagen- Touareg
Porsche- Cayenne

This is only a partial list. It does not include any passenger cars, many of which will safely tow and stop a BRENDERUP! Your driving situation and geographical location also play a part in selecting a tow vehicle suitable for your particular trailering. Don't exceed vehicles makers recommendations for tongue load. Take advantage of engine options available and call us any time, We will be pleased to help.

Please remember that WHATEVER you choose to tow your BRENDERUP with, your horses are always guaranteed a smooth, quiet, cool and comfortable ride and you can enjoy the luxury of handling the trailer with ease and by yourself if necessary. BRENDERUP trailering is a blend of INNOVATION and COMMON SENSE and the proof of that is in the pulling. 

Winston
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-05-09 8:10 PM (#119945 - in reply to #119762)

You do not need a full-size pick up truck to pull a Brenderup.

I pulled mine with a sport ute and it did fine.
I also pulled it with a much larger GMC sport ute. I preferred by sport-ute.

I don't find posts complaining about quality & warranty issues with Brenderups. But one does not have to look too hard to find these threads on the traditional metal trailer for some of the manufacturers.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)