'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer screens and dogs

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-23 11:34 AM
6 replies, 3275 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-04-22 5:06 PM (#119205)
Subject: trailer screens and dogs

Extreme Veteran

I am not sure if any one will have any suggestions but it's worth a shot. I have an Australian Shepard that is the apple of my eye and he knows it and he cherishes me also. Hey somebody has to love me. :)The problem is when I leave him in the horse trailer he claws at the screen to get out.

I was camping one time and had to leave him and he clawed out the screen and jumped out the window, some fellow campers took him in till I got back. My new trailer has smaller windows so that is not an issue. Just don't like my screens tore up, I would take them off but don't want the bugs either.

He has jumped out of the vehicle before and came through automatic doors and into a store were I was shopping when he was a baby. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsecamper
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-04-22 6:27 PM (#119210 - in reply to #119205)
Subject: RE: trailer screens and dogs

Veteran

laurie,  I don't know if this is a option for you, but I know that, for some reason, dogs don't like to be left in the LQ.  It seems to freak them out.  I tie my dog (with harness, not collar) in the horse area and leave the door open (well secured open).  I have also let my dog loose in the horse area with the door open and inserted one of those  cheapy cattle panels precut to fit in the rear door space.  For my dogs, the issue was some sort of claustrophobia thing, and as soon as they had a big viewing area to see out of, they were OK.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-04-22 7:28 PM (#119211 - in reply to #119210)

Extreme Veteran

I have thought about tieing him up but I just hate to. He usually lays in bed and looks out the windows and he is looking for me when I come back. I think he is more trying to get to me and upset that I left him than any anxiety or being scared. He did the same thing at home when I left him in the house and I went out side with out him. If I left he didn't tear anything up but if I was in the yard say working a horse he would get upset and ripped a screen out. Now I put him in my shop with out windows and he is fine. I just remembered they made a stronger screen for pets, I will redo it with that and see if it is stronger.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-04-22 11:00 PM (#119223 - in reply to #119205)

Elite Veteran

We have an 18 week old Mini Aussie. We kennel trained her. Anytime we leave or at night when we go to bed, she goes into her kennel ( a 24" x 36" wire crate). It's her "safe zone" and she goes in anytime she wants. In fact she is in there now with the door open. We3 will take her camping this year along with the crate.
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-04-23 9:38 AM (#119243 - in reply to #119205)

Veteran

I have a miniature blue heeler and she loves to follow me around, but when I'm away from trailer I tie her to either the grill guard on my truck or to the jack on the front of trailer.  Depends if pickup is hooked up or not, she takes it well and this way she can get in the shade to if she needs to.  And reach a bucket of water that I usually keep around for the horses. 

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-04-23 9:41 AM (#119244 - in reply to #119205)

Elite Veteran

I used a baby gate in my trailer door and got along well that way. Of course, Aussie's can jump, you might need two; one on top of the other!
SILVER
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-04-23 11:34 AM (#119257 - in reply to #119205)

when our dog goes camping with us, in which she is a big dog and and baby, we just leave her loose in the horse area, with her pillow, food and water. She doesn't seem to mind. Then she can walk around or do whatever she wants back there. As long as she has her pillow that she sleeps on she is pretty content. Just a thought, leaving your loose back there not tied up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)