'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Texas CDL

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-12 10:29 PM
5 replies, 3578 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

westtexasgirl3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-02-09 3:46 PM (#116324)
Subject: Texas CDL

I've got an International 4400 (No Air Brakes) and a 30 1/2' LQ trailer.  I'm studying to take my CDL.  In Texas, I know I have to take the General Knowledge test, but does anyone know if I'll need to get the Combination Vehicles endorsement also?  I've looked at some practice tests on the Combination Vehicles test, and it has to do with tractor trailers, air brakes, etc...  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Edited by westtexasgirl3 2010-02-09 3:48 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-02-09 4:09 PM (#116326 - in reply to #116324)
Subject: RE: Texas CDL

Expert

Originally written by westtexasgirl3 on 2010-02-09 3:46 PM

I've got an International 4400 (No Air Brakes) and a 30 1/2' LQ trailer.  I'm studying to take my CDL.  In Texas, I know I have to take the General Knowledge test, but does anyone know if I'll need to get the Combination Vehicles endorsement also?  I've looked at some practice tests on the Combination Vehicles test, and it has to do with tractor trailers, air brakes, etc...  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

On the Texas CDL you will have to test for everything weather you have or are going to use air brakes are not.

Do you haul anything other than your LQ trailer?  If not check in to reg. your truck as an RV "not for hire" and not worry about the CDL unless you just want it.  But remember if you get stopped, you are going hauling just to go ride and not riding for money or showing.  That is where Texas DOT is nailing people.  People are getting stopped and the first thing the trooper ask is where are you going? and the reply is " going to a roping, barrel race, show etc.  Then your hung!  Can not haul with a chance to make a profit unless you carry a CDL.

greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2010-02-12 4:49 PM (#116495 - in reply to #116324)

Extreme Veteran

Yep you have to take all that stuff. Don't think you'll be able to do the motor home thing with a 4400. Test is easy..... although the correct answers aren't always correct (you'll see what I mean), sometimes you just have to guess at the answer that is closest to being correct. The test looks like it was written by a 5th grader that isn't anywhere near the top of his class. The Texas section is the hardest or at least most confusing. I got 100% on the other 4 sections and I think 75% on the TX part.
aegnc
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-02-12 5:16 PM (#116496 - in reply to #116324)

I took the Texas tests and received my TX Class A CDL this past summer.  The written (multiple choice) tests are easy if you study the TX CDL manual which is available online.  There were five different tests for me: general knowledge, combination, air brakes, and two others I can't remember.  The combination test does have a few air brake questions and you will have to take that.  You should not have to take the air brake written test (they will ask you if you want it when you initially sign up - at least they did for me).  I had to take it since I was performing the driving test in a truck with air brakes.  Since your 4400 doesn't have air brakes, you won't be able to complete the driving portion of the air brake test (system test) and will have a restriction on your license for no air brakes.

You only have to get 70% on the tests to pass, so read the TX CDL manual a couple times and give it a shot, but skip the air brakes written test since you can't complete it anyway with your 4400.  Good luck!!

westtexasgirl3
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-02-12 7:00 PM (#116501 - in reply to #116324)

Thanks for the responses!  My truck DOES have air brakes.  I don't know why I put that it didn't....guess I was thinking about the trailer not having air brakes.  So I'm studying for the air brakes test too.  What's the pre-trip inspection test like and on the driving test, did you have to parallel park the truck and trailer?  Thank you for any help.
aegnc
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-02-12 10:29 PM (#116504 - in reply to #116324)

The pre-inspection test was one of the 5 written (multiple choice) tests I took.  They did not require me to do an actual pre-inspection test with the truck.  That may have been because I was using a truck that I rented from a driving school that they were familiar with.

As for the driving test, I was told there were three things that would cause me to fail - 1) Violate any law (speed, fail to stop/yield, cause accident, etc.), 2) Hit a curb with the trailer, or 3) not understand and know how to perform the air brake test.  You will have to parallel park, but they typically do that in a safe place with lots of room.  Honk and signal before backing up, and don't hit the curb....

One other thing to think about is how you and the truck get there for the driving test.  After passing the written tests you'll be issued a permit to drive with a licensed Class A driver in the right seat.  Depending on how anal they are, you may not want to show up illegally driving the rig you're testing in.

Hope this helps.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)