'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Didn't Cost Me A Dime, Sundowner Covered it All

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-05 11:56 AM
11 replies, 4773 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TPompei
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2010-01-30 3:49 PM (#115923)
Subject: Didn't Cost Me A Dime, Sundowner Covered it All

Hats off to Sundowner and Trailers America in Cincinnati Ohio for hand sanding and recoating my trailer frame at no charge to me, all covered under warranty.It's so nice to see a manufacturer doing the right thing.On top of that, whoever did the work at Trailers America did a fantastic and detailed job.Tom PompeiDayton, Ohio
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chipper
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-30 4:04 PM (#115925 - in reply to #115923)
Subject: RE: Didn't Cost Me A Dime, Sundowner Covered it All

Very good but why did you need to get the frame sanded and re-coated? I also have a Sundowner and need replacements parts, any suggestions?
TPompei
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2010-01-30 8:26 PM (#115937 - in reply to #115923)

Do a search on this forum under 'powder coat' or just 'sundowner' and you'll get up to speed. The short story is that certain trailers manufactured around 2002-2003 (I think) used powder coating on the steel frame. That powder coating flakes off when the trailer is in motion, causing the rusting problem on the underside of the frame. Sundowner immediately changed the design, and extended the warranty on those models. They corrected the problem and are standing by their product.I don't know any sundowner dealers in AZ, but if you look on SundownerTrailer.com there is a dealer search option. That should point you in the right direction!
TX Rebel
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-01-31 8:21 AM (#115954 - in reply to #115923)

Did Sundowner REALLY extend their normal 8-yr warranty to cover this problem? I'm in the Houston area and have a 2000 Value-Sport model I bought last year that has not had that recoating done to the frame.Would love to take it to Sundowner if they would still honor the warranty. Any Sundowner dealers out there to verify this?

Thanks,
Lisa
chipper
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-31 9:48 AM (#115955 - in reply to #115923)

Thank you for that info, am hoping that my trailer does not have that problem. My trailer is still under warranty so that's good news.

Thanks again!!

TPompei
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2010-01-31 4:35 PM (#115967 - in reply to #115923)

I think the warranty is only 8 years, and mine was still just under the 8 year mark. However, I know that warranty is transferrable, so a trip or call to your sundowner dealer with your vin number wouldn't hurt. Not all the trailers had this problem, so I hope yours wasn't one of them.
traveller
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-02-02 5:22 PM (#116063 - in reply to #115923)

Does anyone know about how much this work will cost if your trailer is not under warranty? 
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2010-02-03 9:25 AM (#116086 - in reply to #115923)

Extreme Veteran

Sundowner has honored the warranty on the 8 year structural; but has never extended it past the original 8 year structural to my knowledge.  Mainly the only trailers affected, were trailers that were in the midwest and northeastern states.  Any areas that use a lot of road salt or chloride for winter, made it very tough on those steel frames.  The powder coat or undercoat material would crack, and salt and debris would get between the steel and the coating and would accelerate the corrosion process.  Mainly the only customers that we have had their frames redone for, are the ones that use their trailers all winter long.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-02-04 8:41 PM (#116153 - in reply to #116086)

Extreme Veteran

How do you know if you have a problem? Lets say there is a little flaking and rust which is possibly normal. How much rust or flaking till there is a problem?
trlmaven
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-02-05 9:13 AM (#116169 - in reply to #115923)

I own Trailers America and we really appreciate customers like Mr. Pompei. That level of service is what we expect to deliver every time. Being recognized for it is icing on the cake.I agree with Jim Bob...Sundowner will cover the frame issues as long as the trailer is still under warranty. That means it is either still owned by the original owner or the new owner has had the warranty transferred to them. The clock starts on the 8 year warranty on the date of original purchase. Transferring the warranty requires an inspection process which any Sundowner dealer can handle, even if you have owned the trailer for a while. For those of you who are looking for parts, call your local dealer first. IF they can't help you, feel free to call us at (800) 466-4470. Risa PrinceTrailers America
Jaas
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-02-05 9:46 AM (#116170 - in reply to #115923)

Regular

Laurie, if you do not feel comfortable inspecting the trailer yourself, take it to a dealer for inspection.  I'm sure Wright Way will inspect the frame for you, even though they don't sell Sundowner.  I'm sure they'll charge you for an inspection, just like inspecting the bearings, brakes, etc.  If they tell you there is a problem, then you can take it to a Sundowner dealer.  I do not know of a Sundowner dealer in IA.  I know IL has some, and maybe MN.  Wright Way would surely be able to tell you if your frame was safe or not.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-02-05 11:56 AM (#116171 - in reply to #116170)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Jaas on 2010-02-05 9:46 AM

Laurie, if you do not feel comfortable inspecting the trailer yourself, take it to a dealer for inspection.  I'm sure Wright Way will inspect the frame for you, even though they don't sell Sundowner.  I'm sure they'll charge you for an inspection, just like inspecting the bearings, brakes, etc.  If they tell you there is a problem, then you can take it to a Sundowner dealer.  I do not know of a Sundowner dealer in IA.  I know IL has some, and maybe MN.  Wright Way would surely be able to tell you if your frame was safe or not.

I know it is safe and have inspected it. Just wondering what level if rust is considered warrantable? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 visible rot and 1 a little paint flaking off.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)