'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Anybody have a trailer reg. in va? If so, I need some help...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-27 8:09 PM
5 replies, 5031 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

acowgirlindreams
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-26 4:00 PM (#115748)
Subject: Anybody have a trailer reg. in va? If so, I need some help...

New User

I am new to horse/livestock trailers, but not to horses. I have been looking for a horse trailer for a little over a year now. I found a 2-horse BP in TN that I am very interested in. The seller said that the previous owner didnt have a title and she didn't either and that she would be willing to give me a 'notarized bill of sale' with the purchase of the trailer. But, I am having a hard time finding out information about registering a horse trailer in the state of Virginia. I call the 1-866 number for the DMV center and talked to a representative, I asked her what I needed to reg. a horse trailer in va. She said to hold, I was on hold for a couple of mins. She came back, apologized and said that she is pulling up information on boat trailers and farm trailers but nothing on horse trailers. I asked her if I HAD to have the title or if a bill of sale would be sufficiant. She said that she knew that I woud have to have a title for the boat and farm trailer but she thought that I would be fine with a notarized bill of sale from the seller and that 'permanent' plates are $75 and titling is $10...is this correct? How did you all go about reg. your horse trailer? I just need advice. I dont have to purchase a trailer and come to find out I cannot reg. it without a title.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2010-01-27 8:12 AM (#115766 - in reply to #115748)
Subject: RE: Anybody have a trailer reg. in va? If so, I need some help...

Regular

To me it sounds a little fishy. The trailer could be stolen, hence no title, it might be worth looking someplace else.
Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-01-27 8:18 AM (#115768 - in reply to #115766)

Only sounds fishy if TN is a titling state. Here in OK, it is not uncommon to buy an older trailer on a notarized bill of sale. Can't answer your questions though as far as how VA will handle it. They may consider horse trailers to be farm trailers in VA.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-01-27 9:29 AM (#115772 - in reply to #115748)

Elite Veteran

As a dealer in Tenn., it is our understanding from the County Clerk's office that Tenn. requires a seller to have valid title in order to sell a trailer in Tenn. Trailers are titled in Tenn. through the same channels as automobiles. As to one without a title (particularly a newer or more valuable unit), I would harbor some concern that it actually had been titled in some state, somewhere, sometime. He who has the title in hand, is the owner recognized by the state.  And yes- this has been an issue with some older trailers that have been "in the family" for years. Nowadays, they usually just need to be sold to someone close by that will be happy with a Bill of Sale and won't require a license plate.

Edited by RTSmith 2010-01-27 9:44 AM
acowgirlindreams
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-27 10:23 AM (#115777 - in reply to #115748)

New User

So I shouldn't purchase a used trailer without a title just to be on the safe side? I mean, that makes sense, but i figured I could get by with a notarized bill of sale. 75% of the trailers I have came across located in other states dont have a title but they offer a notarized bill of sale...

Thanks for clearing up you guys.

sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-01-27 8:09 PM (#115808 - in reply to #115748)

Extreme Veteran

NO Title?  Do your self a favor,     Keep looking for one with a CLEAN title. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)