'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
how to safely lead a horse from horseback

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-23 11:29 PM
12 replies, 5678 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-01-12 7:21 PM (#115175)
Subject: how to safely lead a horse from horseback

Elite Veteran

How do you lead a horse from horseback SAFELY.. especially if the led horse is dominant and can be a bit of a "beach"?  My TWH Eve who I got last year has not regained her muscle from being underweight when I got her...i haven't ridden her enough, and her bare feet are still growing out (hopefully) strong new hooves...  My rocky mare, Tamber, stays muscled up no matter what .. I would like to ride Tamber and lead Eve for muscle.. HOWEVER... Eve is dominant and not adverse to baring her teeth or kicking the object of her displeasure.  If you yell at her, she will not bite but continue to glare at the other horse.. She and Tamber are getting along better and it may not be a problem to lead her at all, but I want to be prepared in case my simple little conditioning excercise does not go as planned.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-01-13 8:21 AM (#115199 - in reply to #115175)
Subject: RE: how to safely lead a horse from horseback

Expert

Start off by going for a ride where you can safely drop the lead rope and not worry about the second horse.

If things get exciting, drop the lead and focus on controlling the horse you are on.  I have one gelding that is the alpha for my herd.  He will gare and kick at horses that try to pass him  or get too close on the trail. So I had to work on his manners.

The are two issue that you will have to deal with.

1st is manners. teaching the horse that you are the boss and if you choose to have a second horse that close, He needs to respect your decision and tolerate that second horse being close. Make sure you have a calm down queue that you can give while holding a lead rope in one hand. Some of the old cowboys I know roll their spurs on both sides which they have taught means, lower your head and relax. Others shake the reins etc. Just realize one hand will be committed to the lead rope, So what ever you use as that queue needs to be done with out that hand.

2nd,  is al the new things that are going to happen. Lead ropes get under tails. under stirrups, they slap him on his hip as you ride. The led horse may stop and bach at a stream crossing. This may cause you to change your balance as you get stretched between a horse moving and one stopped. If any of these really upset the horse you are ridding, just drop the lead rope, settle the horse you are one and go back and collect the lead.

Do your intial rides at a walk. I find my horses get more worried about the second horse the faster I go. They want more space at a trot than at a walk. So until everybody is comfortable, stay slower.

Like anything, it just takes some time and wet saddle blankets. They will come to understand and be comfortable with the process. I do this with all my babies,  I start taking 6 month old colts out along side their mares. When they become yearling and two year olds, I take them alongside what ever horse I'm riding.  It lets me get two horses exercised in one ride. The babies learn all about trails long before I start to ride them. They cross creeks, over bridges, they learn to step up over ledges or blow down trees. Early in their saddle careers, I will start to pack them. Saddle with panners and some light camp gear. They get used to stuff floppin around. By time I actually start to ride them, they are not worried about saddles , gear, obsticles, they just need to learn to balance a rider.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-01-13 9:49 AM (#115201 - in reply to #115175)

Elite Veteran

Thanks.. i have an arena that I can start off in.. i have been wanting to do this for a while, but Eve will kick whoever is near or may bite who I'm riding.. She is sweet as a puppy to people, but is a WITCH around other horses.. When someone is walking their horse past in the isle, I have to really watch her.. she will bare her teeth and swing her butt, but won't follow thru if i warn her that I'm watching her.. She does not like a sharp stern voice and wil stop whatever she is doing but will continue to glare at whoever it is that has dared to walk near her.... Despite this, she as attached to my other mare, Tamber, but is not above beating the crud outta her if the spirit moves her.... I totally agree that she really needs some manners pertaining to being handled around other horses... Again she is an absolute sweetheart to people.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-01-13 7:23 PM (#115253 - in reply to #115175)

Expert

My daughter really likes to ride my gelding that likes to kick.  She watches him and when she see him flatten his ears back. She knows thats the sign he's getting ready to let the other horse have it.  My daughter boxes his ears when she see them flatten. It takes his attention away from the other horse and seems to work to control him. 

You may want to see if there is a pre sign when she starts getting witchy. Then do something to get her attention back on you and not worry about the other horse.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-01-14 5:28 AM (#115261 - in reply to #115175)

Elite Veteran

I have no problems when riding her because she, too, is not subtle about her intentions and a well-placed slap will let her know my thoughts on her attitude.. I just have visions of her snapping at Tamber and Tamber swooping out of the way and me rolling off between the two, or Eve hanging back and biting Tamber's butt.. with same end result.  I'll try them when it dries a little .. we are catching up on the rain that everyone else had all year and it is a sloppy mess around here.. I am itching to get this settled.. As soon as it dries and warms a little, i want to go to Bandera and hate to leave Eve at home and CAN'T leave her at camp.. She will attempt to climb out of the pens.. Plus she needs the exercise and isn't up to the whole trip while being ridden.. The last time we took her, I rode Eve and my daughter rode Tamber.. Eve was sore-footed and moving pretty slow by the time we got home to camp.. And we'd taken one of the easier trails.. I thought leading her on them would help build her up without the extra burden of a rider... It may all work out fine.. I'll just have to see.
bbsmfg3
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2010-01-14 12:08 PM (#115271 - in reply to #115175)

Extreme Veteran

We don't tolerate horses being nasty when others get close or even bumping into us.

To train for that, if needed, we put them in a arena with 3 very well trained horses. One in front, one behind and one on the inside. We just start pushing and shoving the trainee all over the place. If the trainee even act like they want to kick they get a quick slap on the hocks with the buggy whip. By having these trainers very close, it doesn't take very long and the trainee can tolerate anything. Once the trainee is good with being pushed all over the place then we have the tailing rider carry a long stick with a plastic bag tied to the end of it. And then start getting the trainee used to the bag getting close, closer, and then rubbing all over the trainee.

Then ponying is no problem.

Edited by bbsmfg3 2010-01-14 12:10 PM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-01-15 10:36 AM (#115310 - in reply to #115175)

Elite Veteran

That would be great if I had three riders on three horses who would'nt be intimidated by my Miss Congeniality....... It is still pouring down rain here..again.....Several inches last night.... so My trial ponying session will have to wait..
Paracadista
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-01-15 5:05 PM (#115322 - in reply to #115175)

It sounds to me like you have two problems to fix and neither one is gong to allow you solve the other.

To answer your question, you can't safely pony a horse with your "Ms. Congeniality".  You must first fix her issue or your other horse will never muscle up because your mount is going to hurt either you, your other horse or both.  You must have a dead broke absolutly trustworthy mount to pony with.  By dead broke I mean "will not do anything unless I tell you" broke. 

If you have any apprehensions when you saddle up to do your conditioning exercise, you are not doing it safely.  Sorry. 

BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2010-01-15 5:35 PM (#115324 - in reply to #115175)

Extreme Veteran

We have friends that lead every trail ride.  They had a prior horse that just followed (very cool)  so we have asked and learned a few pointers.  The big trick we learned from them was two extra knots evenly spaced in the 6 foot standard lead line.  You use these knots (which you adjust to the leadee over time) to slip thru or gather up.  We were shown never let the led horse get in front and never let him fall behind. 

Our reason for all this was to get our retired horse out for some trails.  The main issue he had was he is our fastest horse and after a few miles he is all done being asked to hold back.

So we only treat him to this occasionally.

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-01-16 1:09 AM (#115335 - in reply to #115175)

Elite Veteran

Miss Congeniality is the led horse... i also have a monty Roberts halter than I can "tune her up" with to help her keep in step

Edited by ridingarocky 2010-01-16 1:11 AM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-01-16 9:05 AM (#115340 - in reply to #115175)

Expert

I can't tell you how many miles I've lead a 2nd or 3rd horse. But some how they figure it out with practice.  yes I've dropped the lead rope a few times . when the pack horse has gone around the wrong side of the tree, or refused to cross a blow down while my lead horse continues to move, or when teaching a new lead horse not to worry about ropes under it's tail. You drop the rope, circle back and pick it up and continue.

Anytime the horse I'm riding threatens the ponied horse, I get after the lead horse. Give them something to do Before they can act up and kick or bite. Half halts, side pass, lateral gives, something to get their attention on me and forget about the second horse.

Even my youngest daughter has learned to pony a second horse. And the sorrel in this pictures likes to kick other horses. But they learn to deal with it.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-01-17 6:06 PM (#115397 - in reply to #115175)

Extreme Veteran

Like PaintedHorse says, it just takes wet saddle blankets and a smidgen of common sense on the rider's part. Horses are like kindergarteners on the playground. They fight and bicker with each other until you give them something else to think about. You are likely to have a few mishaps along the way, but most of these will be more of a nuisance that a danger. 

Marla

Edited by Marla 2010-01-17 6:08 PM
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-01-23 11:29 PM (#115642 - in reply to #115175)

Veteran

I would agree that you need to first try in an area(pasture or arena)that you can drop the lead if things start to go south. Also, I would put a muzzle and a flymask on her so the other horse can't see he eyes and you don't have to worry about her biting. You can then just concentrate on settling your mount down to do the leading.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)