'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
WERM vs. Spray in bed liner

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-12-23 2:19 PM
3 replies, 4696 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Steffanyace
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-12-23 8:43 AM (#114477)
Subject: WERM vs. Spray in bed liner

I just checked on the cost of having a WERM floor put in a 2 horse slant load. It looks like it will cost about $1000. I think doing a spray in bed liner would be half that cost. I'd just like to protect the floor. I'd more than likely still have rubber mats put in the trailer. Anyone have experience having the spray in liner on their trailer floor?

Edited by Steffanyace 2009-12-23 8:44 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-12-23 10:01 AM (#114479 - in reply to #114477)
Subject: RE: WERM vs. Spray in bed liner

Expert

All the Logan trailers for the past few years have come with Aluminum planks sprayed with Vortex.  ( a spray in bed liner)

In fact Logan sprays pretty much the entire interior of their horse compartments Floor and  walls up about 4' high.

Logan still installs rubber mats after they spray the floor. The spray on liner in my trailers has held up well. But I wonder how well it would stand up to shod horses standing directly on the liner if there were no mats. There is also very little cushioning effect from the spray on liner to the horses feet. The spray on liner does make it very easy to clean.

I did have a Classic Trailer that came with Rumber. I had it for 5 years and you could see hardly any wear and my horses stood directly on it. No mats.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-12-23 12:00 PM (#114485 - in reply to #114477)

Expert

Originally written by Steffanyace on 2009-12-23 9:43 AM

I just checked on the cost of having a WERM floor put in a 2 horse slant load. It looks like it will cost about $1000. I think doing a spray in bed liner would be half that cost. I'd just like to protect the floor. I'd more than likely still have rubber mats put in the trailer. Anyone have experience having the spray in liner on their trailer floor?

You get what you pay for.... All the spray in liner I've seen in trailers eventually gets scratched, scraped and nicked. Urine/moisture will enter at these points and begin to blister and start to peel away the spray in liner. These blisters will trap moisture underneath making the oxidation worse. IMHO, there's no comparison between spray in bed liner products and a WERM floor. WERM is about 5/8" thick and can be used with or without mats. Spray in liner will need to be matted if the liner is expected to last more than one trip. Horses with shoes will strip it right off.

We still have bare aluminum floors and we're still dragging those heavy a$$ mats. That 6 horse head to head has so many mats that we have to number them and draw a map/legend so we can get them all back in the same place.... No two of them are cut exactly the same. I should have taken it to ... http://www.selecttrailer.com/WERM.html   when we were at the NWHA Nationals for a week, back in September... LOL!!! Maybe they would have taken all those mats in as a trade on some WERM floor!!!

When all's said and done, it's hard to beat a pressure treated yellow pine floor in the business end of a horse trailer.... It's cheap, easy to inspect and repair if a board was to break. Keep it clean and it will outlast the rest of the trailer.

Edited by retento 2009-12-23 12:15 PM
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2009-12-23 2:19 PM (#114489 - in reply to #114477)

Regular

I installed WERM about 3-4 yrs ago. I will NEVER own another trailer again without it. Pulling the mats in and out is a pain in the behind. Now I just scoop out the manure grab the hose, maybe squirt a little dawn soap down on the floor hose it out and let it dry, 15 minutes or less inside is clean and new. Also I store stuff in the back end when camping, so once I arrive at my camp site, I remove manure, grab a bucket of water and rinse out back let dry and clean for the weekend. Yah, I am a little anal but it works for me.

Best $800 I have spent on the trailer. 2000 10ft Keifer LQ 3 horse.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)