'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Propane detector

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-10-17 9:50 PM
7 replies, 3378 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-10-16 6:32 PM (#111957)
Subject: Propane detector

Veteran

Hello, just wondering if anyone has had their propane detector go off in their LQ trailers?  Ours goes off when we are camping in the middle of the night.  We open the door to air out and then it goes off only to come on again in about 4 hours .  It does not do this on every trip.  Any ideas?  Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-10-16 7:04 PM (#111960 - in reply to #111957)
Subject: RE: Propane detector

Expert

If you "air out" the LQ to silence the alarm ...  Believe what it is telling you.... You have a propane or flamable gas leak in the area that it is responding to... 

Another way to be sure is to REMOVE the propane tanks from the trailer.  AND anything else that may contain a flamable gas ... like bug spray, hair spray, nail polish remover, cigarette lighters, gas lighters, charcoal lighter fluid, gas lanterns... Do you have a generator on board? Suspect the fuel supply. Then if it still alarms, the detector may be faulty.

Otherwise ... find and fix the leak. (Soap bubble solution is not sensitive enough for a leak that takes hours to build a detectable level )

sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-10-16 8:11 PM (#111968 - in reply to #111957)

Veteran

Thank you, I agree there is a leak some where but I can not convence my husband because it does not go off every trip.  We do have a genarator but it is under the tack compartment and we take it out and away from trailer when running it.  Yes, it has set the alarm off when once we used it close to trailer.  It was outside covered up for the night so I don't think that was the problem.  My husband swears it was my boots setting in the bathroom smelling of horse piss.  He threw the boots out and the alarm came back on in about 4 hours.  Do we need to take trailer to a RV place or would a heating/cooling person be able to come out and look at it?  Thanks.
gaitin
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2009-10-16 9:21 PM (#111969 - in reply to #111957)

Regular

We were also experiencing the same problem as you. Reset the alarm and it would come back on quickly.Never seemed to go off during the day; just at night. We checked for leaks and none could be found. While looking for information about the detector I found out that they do have a working life span of about 5-6 years and should be replaced after that time. I believe that it has to do with the sensors and filters. Your CO detector has the same operating time limits also. Bought a new detector and no more problems. The detectors have a manufacturing date stamped on them. When you buy a new one, try to make sure that it is fairly new and has not been sitting on a shelf for several years.
sdlepalpm
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-10-16 9:48 PM (#111973 - in reply to #111957)

Veteran

Yes, ours only goes off in the night.  Our trailer is a 04 model so it just might be it needs a new one.  Do you have to buy the whole monitor or just a filter?  Did you get them from a RV dealer?  Thanks so much.
gaitin
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2009-10-17 7:53 AM (#111985 - in reply to #111973)

Regular

Yes, you need to buy a new detector and they can be expensive depending on where you buy. I looked on e-bay and found one that was reasonable with a current manufacturing date. You need to pull your old one and see if it has 2 or 3 wires. If you buy the same model, they are very easy to switch out. Good Luck; I hope that this will solve your problem.
BlazingCreekBar
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2009-10-17 6:03 PM (#112012 - in reply to #111957)

Extreme Veteran

I hate to say this but I will "Cause I posted it" Is your husband SERIOUS! Come on! Propane detectors and smoke alarms are not installed to be ignored. Please Please have your propane connections checked as said above with soapy water or by removing the tanks. Replace a faulty detector at any cost. It WILL save your life (Which is priceless). Propane is a heavy gas and sinks that is why the detectors are on the floor. Opening the door is letting the propane (if present) sink out of the door.
Yvette
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2009-10-17 9:50 PM (#112017 - in reply to #111957)

Extreme Veteran

Take it to an RV place, pretty sure they have sensors that will 'sniff' out the leak, if there is one, wherever it may be. You could have a dry rotted hose or a hose that has been rubbing on a corner somewhere that putting soap on the connections won't detect. If they can't find a leak, definitely get a new sensor. This is NOT something to mess around with. I know someone who nearly died, suffered some brain damage, a long hospital stay and an alcohol problem that still exists today as his fiance did die due to a leak in a the propane system on a camper. He only survived as they figure he woke to go to the bathroom and collapsed by the door which gave him a certain amount of fresh air she wasn't getting. His fiance was a fairly popular barrel racer in the Joliet, Illinois area. This was years before we had the sensors we have for campers now.

Take full advantage of the technology we have today. OK and if that isn't enough, ask your husband if he's bucking for a Darwin award.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)