'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
is this horse trailer priced right?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-09-29 12:05 PM
2 replies, 3207 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

a human
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-29 8:52 AM (#111231)
Subject: is this horse trailer priced right?

I'm looking at a '98 Adam 2 horse stock BP that has been professionally rewired, repainted by an autobody person and the padding inside updated. No spare, but tires about a year old. Height is 7 foot. Current owner did updates over the last 1-2 years. Asking price is $2500. Thoughts?

Edited by a human 2009-09-29 8:54 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-09-29 9:38 AM (#111233 - in reply to #111231)
Subject: RE: is this horse trailer priced right?

Expert

If the frame, flooring and hardware are in good shape, I would say yes, it's a good price. The restoration expense of a trailer, would typically equal or even exceed this selling price. If the process was well done, you're actually getting the trailer for little or no cost.

There are other issues you should address in your purchase costs. A complete inspection and possible replacement of the bearings and brakes could involve several hundred dollars. Fortunately this should be a one time expense, but on an older trailer it's necessary. A spare tire is a necessity. How is the floor? Is it wood or aluminum? Is it rotted or corroded? Does it have mats?

You didn't say if it was a steel or aluminum trailer. A complete close inspection of the undercarriage is mandatory. A new paint job will not improve a poor frame, that may be damaged or rusted. Look carefully, beyond the impressive new looks to the mechanicals. That is what's important.

Most "asking" prices are not selling prices. If a person is "asking" a certain amount, it usually means he is willing to deal. At this time of the year and in this economic environment, many equine related items exchange hands at lower prices than normal. I would start the negotiations at the very least, by $500 less than his "asking" price.

Gard

Edited by gard 2009-09-29 9:49 AM
a human
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2009-09-29 12:05 PM (#111236 - in reply to #111231)
Subject: RE: is this horse trailer priced right?

Good points. A friend has offered to give me her "spare" spare that she no longer needs. It is steel - my old trailer was a Brenderup, so I have little experience with steel trailers - do you wash and wax them like a car? The floor is wood and I plan to crawl around underneath and look for rot, painted rust, etc. And I figured the market was slow, but I'm being picky at what I want (Horse loads in my friend's stock trailer which is very similar. My vintage Brenderup was just too small for her.) I do have a trailer service lady that comes on site for work. Depending on what exactly had been done when, I figured she would be the next person to engage. And I was planning to dicker a bit. My alternative is to buy new, which I am seriously considering, but have no experience doing that. Thanks for your insights - I appreciate it.

Edited by a human 2009-09-29 12:08 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)